Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Spent $30 to buy back about $130 of my own chit.

Best/worst deal ever.

I had the opportunity to do that once, guy had broke into my truck and stole the stereo and the behind the seat speakers.
I choose the wiser road and called the cops, they followed through and arrested the guy for robbing me and others.
The cops called me in to identify my property and told me I didn't have enough evidence to prove the stuff was mine and they kept it...

I should'ov paid the ransom and been done with it.

worst deal....

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I bought 12 guns for the shop I used to work for from a guy whose dad had passed and he wanted the gone and didn’t know or want to know what they might be worth. When I offered him $120 for the first one he quickly said that will work, but he meant for all of them. I tried to explain but he wasn’t interested in hearing it and sold them all to me for $10 each.

The best part was when I bought a first year 444 that was part of the deal for %10 over cost! My manager run off at the mouth and said I could have it for %10 over before he knew what I paid for it.

I bought a 16ga Ithaca 37R at the shop for $20 after the owner told the girl selling he wasn’t interested because it didn’t have a barrel. 2 hours later she came back and handed me the barrel she’d found in the meantime. She wanted to give me the whole works but I made her take the only $20 I had in my wallet.

I traded a guy a single 40 round box of American Eagle 22lr for a barreled 700 action in 222mag during the rimfire drought. He said he couldn’t find 222 mag ammo anymore and he’d broke the stock off anyway so he just wanted some 22 shells, I had one box in my door pocket.

Gave $40 for an FN sporter in 243 with a bent barrel from a snomachine wreck. Made a neat 7x57 out of it.

I have lots more village gun bargain stories.

How did you keep you sanity working at that shop? Last time I was in that shop had to been 7yrs ago.. I have no idea who works there now..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He used it in his hot tub.

Didn't need any chlorine after that. grin

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Cheapest guns I ever found were in the 1960s when the DCM (predecessor of the CMP) sold surplus military weapons to NRA members. I got a Winchester M1 carbine, a Springfield 03A3, and a .45 ACP for $19.95 each. All unfired. Years later I got an unfired M1 Garand for $116.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One day my supervisor, who has since retired, asked my if I was interested in buying his Honda CX500. This was the one that had opposing cylinders, like a BMW. I had seen him ride it in to work and knew it to be a running bike. I asked him how much?

"I want 50 bucks for it."

My checkbook appeared instantly. I took possession of the bike a few days later, then rode it on weekends for a few months.

After a short time I knew I didn't want to keep it, in part because it was actually such a small bike, and in part because of my possibly over-developed sense of self preservation. I put it up for sale, and possible trade.

I had numerous trade offers on it...one being a Browning High Power which was a decent pistol but not one I knew much about, so I passed. A few days later a guy offered up a nice Colt Python, and he became the ownder of a Honda CX500.

How did I do??

wink

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1970 got married, cost me 5 dollars.
best gun buy was the same year. bought a 50 cal muzzle loader rifle from an old gentleman 35.00 . he said "i have an old 44 cal blackpowder pistol too if you are interested. he wanted 30.00 for it. was to my eyes pretty rough but i thought it was cool so i bought it. 1947 colt. it lives in a safe deposit box. i used to shoot it on the 4th of july but not anymore.

worst was i sold both my 1890 winchesters .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JeffA
The best deal I ever made was through a friend of a friend of a friend I landed a slot on a boat and was able to work the 1980 and 81 king crab seasons in AK. It only consisted of a few weeks each year but paid amazingly well. Looking back historically it was what is now called the glory years of Alaskas king crab harvests.

After the 1980 season I was able to pay 40K cash for a sorta non-livable old house on 40 acres in the Flathead valley in MT. It was my castle, it had power, water and a wood stove but no septic but a fair outhouse. It needed work and so did I so we were a match, I'd been living in a slide-in pickup camper prior.

Due to a lot of deer meat and low overhead I made it til the 1981 crab season got under way were I managed to double the wages I'd made the prior crab season.
I returned to my humble MT abode and promptly spent all my earnings on a commercial property in the Flathead that provided a slight income but It needed lot's of work....and once again I was broke, I'd spent 80k cashing out the property. No real job, no credit to speak of equals no loans.

I had to sell the 20 acre parcel next to the one the house sat on to get by the next few years. Managed to get what I'd paid plus enough to pay for getting the remaining 20 acres surveyed and broken into 40, 1/2 acre lots but had to dump the other 20k into the commercial property in attempt to enhance it's monthly revenues.

Fast forward 15 years...A real estate boom had hit the Flathead Valley and I sold both of those properties.

The commercial property was then bringing in over 100k a year in rental income, It'd now paid for itself a few times over, it sold for 950k.

My beater old house was still the same, no septic but an upgraded outhouse and a better wood stove, those 40 half acre lots were then worth about 35K each.
I sold to a developer for 800k.

Everything hinged on those few short weeks on a boat in Alaska some 17 years prior and having the balls to go for broke or bust. So, that was the best deal of my life.

I had to reinvest the bulk of the monies to avoid getting hit hard on taxes, 1.5M went back into Flathead Valley properties which since have more than doubled in value and are now self supporting tax and insurance wise with a little monthly residual.

Simply An amazing story!! Love it

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
We moved the TV boxes to the basement directly beneath the TV. Wife wanted a super fancy remote that would control cable and tv AND go through the floor. Spent $300 on a remote. Ended up not using it and it's still in original packaging downstairs. Lessons learned.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mid 1990 I had a cousin come by the house and wanted to sell me a Winchester pre 64 featherweight. I told him I only had 250 dollars at the house at that time and the gun was worth a lot more than that and I was going to the Tulsa gun show in a couple of weeks and that I would carry it to sell for him. He said no he wanted the money then so I gave him the money and I got the rifle. I knew that his dad had gotten the rifle new in 1957 and told him he could buy it back if he wanted. It has been over 25 years now and I am still using it.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Remington Mountain Rifle in 7X57 mauser with an older Leupold Vari-Xlll in 3.5-10x40 for $150.00. If I remember right this was back in 2010. Still have it. A few years later I bought a Mauser 98 that had been redone in 257 Roberts for $100.00. Young guys grandpa had died and no one knew anything about it. Just wanted to get rid of it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought and still have a 1936 3-digit model 70 30-06 for $300.00. # 36X

I just got this Buhag 12ga SXS shotgun for $200.00 from Simpson. Add shipping and FFL fee and I paid $255.00. Buhag guns were made by the Suhl small gunmakers who still had shops after WWII. Being now in Eastern Germany they had high tariffs on their products charged by the West. The GDR had them form the consortium and often sell below cost through it to get badly needed cash from western nations. People usually see the name "Buhag" and are turned off by it, not knowing that these were made by Germany's premier fine gun makers.

This turned out to be a Kessler action gun. Kessler was one of the best receiver/action makers for the "guild". It has a chipped butt plate, but I have a good replacement.The wood is perfect, as are the bores, and it's tight on face.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought this browning hipower in 30/06 two years ago for $250.00.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those $89 Walmart Remington 700 Youth model in 243 was a pretty good deal. So was a $124 11-87.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a brand new Beretta 92FS plus eight boxes of 9mm ammo for $50 from my neighbor, who is a Dr. and whose wife decided all guns had to go when they started having kids.
Sold it a week later for $500.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 2500HD, 1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 52 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,902
Posts18,518,510
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.