Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Well, I've owned a number of 6.5's in the following, 260 Remington, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 and 264 Winchester Magnum, lost interest in 6.5s and sold them all for other projects. Now that I'm looking for a light, short action stalking rifle, I'm leaning to the Creedmore mostly because I don't want the recoil of the 308 ( I ain't getting any younger) and the Creedmore has lots of good factory ammunition choices (I've packed up all of my reloading gear). All of the R&D and available ammo makes the Creedmore a solid choice for such a rifle. As much as I've sold off 80% of my collection I still have rifles in 240 WM, 257 WM, 270 Win, 7mm RM and 30-06 (all Win 70s). I certainly don't need a 6.5 CM but who says "need" has anything to do with it.

I try not to get too serious on these forums, but I am going to here, and only because I like your screen name. If you have any self-respect at all, do all of your research quietly online before you decide which one to buy. If you order online, have it shipped to an FFL that you know well to be normal. If the transaction takes place in a shop, try to find a low traffic time to do it. You much prefer not have have anyone in the shop hear you utter the word Creedlord. You might be able to pay the FFL a little more to open the store just for your deal. My sincerest hope is that you can get the gun and get the hell out as quickly as possible.

All the best,
Paul

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Try this PaulBarnard.....
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just remember that sarcasm often has a basis in an ugly, or in this case hideous, truth.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shoot a 260. Have since 2003. At first I was like Duh, you already have the 260 and the 6.5x55, why the Creed? Since then I have become a bit more ok with the idea, after all, a low recoiling, flat shooting rifle is pretty well the perfect deer rifle. What I am against is the way people do not recognize that the Creed (along with every other chambering) has its limitations. I am not that old (34), but am old fashioned enough that I like a minimum energy/velocity in order to quickly and humanely make a kill. With my current setup in my 260, my max is 300 yards. I feel I have plenty of velocity and energy left to quickly kill a deer. It seems like the Creed crowd (at least a lot of them) are not recognizing the cartridge for what it is. With the cult-like following, it has almost reached "magical" powers. I mean 500 yards with a Creed for an elk? I know it has been done with well placed shots (which can be made with a low-recoiling rifle) But just because one can, does it mean one should? I especially do not like when states change the current minimum calibers in order to make room for the Creedmoor. Pa had the minimum for elk at .27 caliber (which I think is a good place to have it), but changed it to .26 so the Creed could be used. Again, not saying that the Creed cannot cleanly take an elk. But these inexperienced hunters trying to take long shots at game with their Creedmoor's, makes me sick. Does that not sound like a recipe for wounded game? Part of the problem is the guys that feel they need to take an extremely long shot at an elk, and then brag about it on the internet. They feel they need to prove that it "can be done". And again just because one can, should one??? I don't see many people taking a 303 British to hunt lions, even though it surely can be done.

Last edited by Jevyod; 12/16/19.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jevyod
I shoot a 260. Have since 2003. At first I was like Duh, you already have the 260 and the 6.5x55, why the Creed? Since then I have become a bit more ok with the idea, after all, a low recoiling, flat shooting rifle is pretty well the perfect deer rifle. What I am against is the way people do not recognize that the Creed (along with every other chambering) has its limitations. I am not that old (34), but am old fashioned enough that I like a minimum energy/velocity in order to quickly and humanely make a kill. With my current setup in my 260, my max is 300 yards. I feel I have plenty of velocity and energy left to quickly kill a deer. It seems like the Creed crowd (at least a lot of them) are not recognizing the cartridge for what it is. With the cult-like following, it has almost reached "magical" powers. I mean 500 yards with a Creed for an elk? I know it has been done with well placed shots (which can be made with a low-recoiling rifle) But just because one can, does it mean one should? I especially do not like when states change the current minimum calibers in order to make room for the Creedmoor. Pa had the minimum for elk at .27 caliber (which I think is a good place to have it), but changed it to .26 so the Creed could be used. Again, not saying that the Creed cannot cleanly take an elk. But these inexperienced hunters trying to take long shots at game with their Creedmoor's, makes me sick. Does that not sound like a recipe for wounded game? Part of the problem is the guys that feel they need to take an extremely long shot at an elk, and then brag about it on the internet. They feel they need to prove that it "can be done". And again just because one can, should one. I don't see many people taking a 303 British to hunt lions, even though it surely can be done.

But did you know that the Creedmoor has a ballistic advantage over a 308 at 700 yards. And 308s used to be the most tactical round known to man, so that means the Creedgod is, well, God.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quigley didn't shoot a Creed.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I shoot a 260. Have since 2003. At first I was like Duh, you already have the 260 and the 6.5x55, why the Creed? Since then I have become a bit more ok with the idea, after all, a low recoiling, flat shooting rifle is pretty well the perfect deer rifle. What I am against is the way people do not recognize that the Creed (along with every other chambering) has its limitations. I am not that old (34), but am old fashioned enough that I like a minimum energy/velocity in order to quickly and humanely make a kill. With my current setup in my 260, my max is 300 yards. I feel I have plenty of velocity and energy left to quickly kill a deer. It seems like the Creed crowd (at least a lot of them) are not recognizing the cartridge for what it is. With the cult-like following, it has almost reached "magical" powers. I mean 500 yards with a Creed for an elk? I know it has been done with well placed shots (which can be made with a low-recoiling rifle) But just because one can, does it mean one should? I especially do not like when states change the current minimum calibers in order to make room for the Creedmoor. Pa had the minimum for elk at .27 caliber (which I think is a good place to have it), but changed it to .26 so the Creed could be used. Again, not saying that the Creed cannot cleanly take an elk. But these inexperienced hunters trying to take long shots at game with their Creedmoor's, makes me sick. Does that not sound like a recipe for wounded game? Part of the problem is the guys that feel they need to take an extremely long shot at an elk, and then brag about it on the internet. They feel they need to prove that it "can be done". And again just because one can, should one. I don't see many people taking a 303 British to hunt lions, even though it surely can be done.

It's fine to be conservative about what shots you will take, I am too. But you're shortchanging the 260's ballistics a bit.

Caliber restrictions often have their logical problems. Consider the .27 one you cite. It would have the 30-30 on the legal side, but the 6.5x300 Weatherby would be legally inadequate.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Quigley didn't shoot a Creed.

"An experimental rifle with experimental ammunition..."

laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mathman

It's fine to be conservative about what shots you will take, I am too. But you're shortchanging the 260's ballistics a bit.

Caliber restrictions often have their logical problems. Consider the .27 one you cite. It would have the 30-30 on the legal side, but the 6.5x300 Weatherby would be legally inadequate.

True on the minimum caliber. That is a valid point. Minimum energy may be better, but again, it has its weak points. As to my maximum for my setup I am shooting 117 grain hammer bullets at 2700 fps. I am not pushing them hard at all, but they are accurate.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
The .22/250 necked up to 6.5 with the 30* shoulder is better than the .250 and .300 Savage version.

Did you hit your head again Bro?

Bwahahahhhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No,but I am seeing stars in broad daylight and these itty bitty birds flying circles around my head.

Damn, is that permanent?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
“...skinny jeans wearing 20 something year old with a Grizzly Adams beard and a man bun who had walked up and stood close enough that his flannel shirt was touching me.”

Maybe Paul liked it too.............

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
“...skinny jeans wearing 20 something year old with a Grizzly Adams beard and a man bun who had walked up and stood close enough that his flannel shirt was touching me.”

Maybe Paul liked it too.............

Other Paul dickweed!

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

True on the minimum caliber. That is a valid point. Minimum energy may be better, but again, it has its weak points. As to my maximum for my setup I am shooting 117 grain hammer bullets at 2700 fps. I am not pushing them hard at all, but they are accurate.

Curious,(and I don't even own a 6.5 Creedmoor)how many elk have you shot, or seen shot?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Curious,(and I don't even own a 6.5 Creedmoor)how many elk have you shot, or seen shot?

None (other than hunting videos) But that does not change what I would personally use for an elk.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe scenarshooter can provide you with some evidence that may alter your thinking about mid size 6.5mm cartridge capability.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nothing is as flat shooting as my IriganSchlitenLoudenBoomer
It is a 378 Weatherby magnum necked down to a phonograph needle.
50,000 FPS muzzle velocity and shoots out a hummingbird eye at 3 miles.
Oh and did I mention that is with open sights.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I believe scenarshooter can provide you with some evidence that may alter your thinking about mid size 6.5mm cartridge capability.

Maybe. I am always open to learning. Actually I would invite that evidence. I do confess that I do have ideas and opinions, but I am not stuck to my opinions to the point that I will hang on to them even in the face of evidence that goes contrary to my opinion.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GregW
Don't hate the Creed, hate the idiots..

We just need to make sure the creed shooting, man bun sporting, skinny jean wearing dudes are voting correctly.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Maybe. I am always open to learning. Actually I would invite that evidence. I do confess that I do have ideas and opinions, but I am not stuck to my opinions to the point that I will hang on to them even in the face of evidence that goes contrary to my opinion.

He's killed a number of elk with a 260 Remington, and they weren't all close to him. He's posted several nice pics on this board over the years.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Give it another 10 years, maybe 20 max and then no one will want a 6.5 Creedmoor because it's"boring"

By then the 6mm Creedmoor will be invented
Originally Posted by AU7MM08

The 260 could have really been something if Remington had any sense, but that's assuming Remington wouldn't turd in the punch bowl.
Instead it came with screwed up twist rates & terrible marketing.

Same with their 6mm Rem marketing

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The .22/250 necked up to 6.5 with the 30* shoulder is better than the .250 and .300 Savage version.

Did you hit your head again Bro?

Bwahahahhhahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No,but I am seeing stars in broad daylight and these itty bitty birds flying circles around my head.

Damn, is that permanent?

No,only happens when I am on the 'fire.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,606
Posts18,532,714
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.