Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GreenDolphin
Originally Posted by TheKid
How would you explain the Trooper and 357 models built on the identical frame and lock work prior to the introduction of the Python?

smile . Do some more research. "Identical"???? Need to use Google better than that. Very close on the actions.

I’ve been inside dozens of them and handled dozens more. For my education, without simply suggesting Google, what is different aside from cosmetics and possibly finish of the parts?

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The BICCG always liked the Python. No greater endorsement could be given. That should be enough for anyone. So why continue to defend it.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by satir
there's no way that a python costs a damned dime more to make than an $800 smith. Colt just refuses to re-tool. They know that they are only selling their name. When they lost the M16 contracts, they were dead as a company.

I think you should study firearms manufacturing a bit more. A Python is a LOT more expensive to manufacture than ANY S&W.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Biebs
The Python was always a nice revolver, but the Walking dead series really jacked up the prices....everyone wanted one. Same as the Smith Model 29....when the Dirty Harry series ran, Model 29s were selling for 3X their price. Instill like the "no dash" and 1 and 2 series Model 27 and 29 revolvers.

I remember wanting a Model 29 S&W back in the early 1980s. It was almost unobtainable, unless you were willing to pay a huge premium over suggested retail. I ended up ordering a Model 57 instead. Once I eventually did acquire a couple of Model 29s, though, the 57 got sold.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
How would you explain the Trooper and 357 models built on the identical frame and lock work prior to the introduction of the Python?

smile . Do some more research. "Identical"???? Need to use Google better than that. Very close on the actions.
Not close, identical. Parts are 100% interchangeable between the first model Trooper, 357, and the Python. There are some subtle differences to the frame, but that is only aesthetic. Python's got a little (only a little) more attention in the way of hand fitting of the internals. The main difference is in the barrel.

IC B2

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The Python was always a nice revolver, but the Walking dead series really jacked up the prices....everyone wanted one. Same as the Smith Model 29....when the Dirty Harry series ran, Model 29s were selling for 3X their price. Instill like the "no dash" and 1 and 2 series Model 27 and 29 revolvers.

I remember wanting a Model 29 S&W back in the early 1980s. It was almost unobtainable, unless you were willing to pay a huge premium over suggested retail. I ended up ordering a Model 57 instead. Once I eventually did acquire a couple of Model 29s, though, the 57 got sold.
Long story, but I was on the set of The Dead Pool a few days when it was being made. So obviously a guy like me is going to mosey his way over to the weapons guy. The revolver that was on the set THAT DAY, was a 6.5" model 25 in .45 Colt. The guy (I'll think of his name later, when I don't need to remember it) said they had both the 29 and the 25. He said "something broke" on the 29 and went back to the shop, so they were using the 25 on that day. So, I can confirm Dirty Harry used both a 25 and a 29.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Long story, but I was on the set of The Dead Pool a few days when it was being made. So obviously a guy like me is going to mosey his way over to the weapons guy. The revolver that was on the set THAT DAY, was a 6.5" model 25 in .45 Colt. The guy (I'll think of his name later, when I don't need to remember it) said they had both the 29 and the 25. He said "something broke" on the 29 and went back to the shop, so they were using the 25 on that day. So, I can confirm Dirty Harry used both a 25 and a 29.

The actor, Clint Eastwood, may have used a 25 from time to time, but Callahan never did.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No Calahan in the Dead Pool

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Not close, identical. Parts are 100% interchangeable between the first model Trooper, 357, and the Python. There are some subtle differences to the frame, but that is only aesthetic. Python's got a little (only a little) more attention in the way of hand fitting of the internals. The main difference is in the barrel.

Not identical but close that is why hand fitting is not a desirable thing in a production environment. The new action is smoother in both single and double action when comparing new old to new generation unfired. Going to be fun to watch the Forums light up.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Really? Sure looks like him.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't know, they are way too damned expensive around here. I'd rather have 3 S&W's.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

You must not be old enough to remember the "other" Dead Pool.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That's what I figured, too.

PS Did you notice Jim Carrey in it? Also a very young Liam Neeson.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt

That's what I figured, too.

PS Did you notice Jim Carrey in it? Also a very young Liam Neeson.

I got my movies mixed up, my mistake

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Saw that one in the theatre. Complete with harpoon ending.

If you're ordering parts for an I frame Colt, they're all apparently the same, except for parts for Pythons. Good luck with finding distinctions, other than the hammer spur.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.