Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mike:

I understand and sympathize with your misery and agony. My objective & GOAL since 1974 was/IS longer range & flat trajectory and the 94 ->> just isn't in the running.

I posted this on P 2:

[quote=jwall
M 70 XTR Featherweight, introd in 1981.

Sleek. Svelte. ACTUALLY light. F D L cut checkering.
I have my 2nd one, KICK myself for letting the first one go !!!
-------------------------------

I still have the Win 1981 catalog INTRODUCING the XTR FTWT.

This is the best pic I have of mine.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Those did not come with iron sights BUT I take them OFF of any rifle I can so it's no matter.
At the time IIRC they did NOT come in magnum cartridges ? At any rate a 270 or 06 qualifies for my requirements.
The later models called " Classic " are more bulbous and heavier SO I still prefer the XTR version.

Here's a pic of BOTH of my fav Rifles;

The Model Sixes are SEXY as rifles go.
The FTWT is lighter, thinner, sleeker and handles so sweetly.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by jwall
Can't believe I'm the only model 94 vote. I must be a dying breed!

May BE ! wink

I haven’t had one since 1974. shocked.

Never thot about replacing it.

Jerry

I understand that Jerry. I'm almost there myself. I love the gun but the 30-30 cartridge has caused me some rodeos. None worse than this year. I had a broadside 50 yard shot on an 8 point buck a couple weeks ago and I guess the brush deflected my bullet. I dont know. At the time I was sure I hit him. Anyway he started to run and I fired a follow up hitting him too far back. Only found that out later. I found no blood and no evidence of a hit despite looking for an hour. A couple hours later a guy came over to me and asked me if I fired the shots that morning. I said yes and he said the buck is dead 3/4 of a mile down the trail. Shot in the hindquarters. It was my buck but there was never evidence of a blood trail.
A week later my wife shoots a Doe with her 30-30 and she tells me she rolled it and shows me where. I could find no blood for a good while and had to make circles looking around until I started finding pin drops. We found the deer mostly without help of a blood trail by just following the general direction. It was shot in the shoulder and did require a finisher.
I've shot most of my deer with a 30-06 and have never had a rodeo or lack of blood trail with that cartridge. I may just be done with 30-30's at this point. It's not the first time I've had no blood trail with one.

My advice if you like lever action guns and want to hunt with one...get a 45-70! Nice blood trail every time and regardless of what your hunting you will never be under-gunned LOL

Marlin 1895 Guide Guns are about as nice as it gets for a lever imho

GOD Bless America
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ruger 77MKII RLS in 308.
It's an early non CRF version but that hasn't made any difference to the critters that were shot with it.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

May BE ! wink

Jerry

I understand that Jerry. I'm almost there myself. I love the gun but the 30-30 cartridge has caused me some rodeos. None worse than this year. I had a broadside 50 yard shot on an 8 point buck a couple weeks ago and I guess the brush deflected my bullet. I dont know. At the time I was sure I hit him. Anyway he started to run and I fired a follow up hitting him too far back. Only found that out later. I found no blood and no evidence the trail. Shot in the hindquarters. It was my buck but there was no evidence of a blood trail.
A week later my wife shoots a Doe with her 30-30 and she tells me she rolled it and shows me where. I could find no blood for a good while and had to make circles looking around until I started finding pin drops. We found the deer mostly without help of a blood trail by just following the general direction. It was shot in the shoulder and did require a finisher.
I've shot most of my deer with a 30-06 and have never had a rodeo or lack of blood trail with that cartridge. I may just be done with 30-30's at this point. It's not the first time I've had no blood trail with one.
What bullets are you using ? I've lost count of how many deer I've shot through BOTH shoulders with 170 core lokts, silvertips and power shoks with never an issue and a dead deer nearly instantly every single time. Never had an issue with blood trails when needed either. There is a youtube video out there where a guy compares the penetration of a 170 core lokt .30-30, and 180 power points from a .308, .30-06 and .300 Win. mag in gallon milk jugs full of water. You should look it up. As I recall the .30-30 stopped in the 7th jug, the .308 in the 4th, the .30-06 in the 5th and the .300 in the 3rd. I stopped a 150 gr. Fusion in the buck I shot through the shoulders with my .30-06 this year. Having done it many times before, I'm quite certain my .30-30 with 170 core lokt or power shok would not have stopped in that buck. The trouble you had finding the buck you gut shot was your fault not the cartridges fault. Pretty sure you know that.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
TIKKA

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

May BE ! wink

Jerry

I understand that Jerry. I'm almost there myself. I love the gun but the 30-30 cartridge has caused me some rodeos. None worse than this year. I had a broadside 50 yard shot on an 8 point buck a couple weeks ago and I guess the brush deflected my bullet. I dont know. At the time I was sure I hit him. Anyway he started to run and I fired a follow up hitting him too far back. Only found that out later. I found no blood and no evidence the trail. Shot in the hindquarters. It was my buck but there was no evidence of a blood trail.
What bullets are you using ? I've lost count of how many deer I've shot through BOTH shoulders with 170 core lokts, silvertips and power shoks with never an issue and a dead deer nearly instantly every single time. Never had an issue with blood trails when needed either. There is a youtube video out there where a guy compares the penetration of a 170 core lokt .30-30, and 180 power points from a .308, .30-06 and .300 Win. mag in gallon milk jugs full of water. You should look it up. As I recall the .30-30 stopped in the 7th jug, the .308 in the 4th, the .30-06 in the 5th and the .300 in the 3rd. I stopped a 150 gr. Fusion in the buck I shot through the shoulders with my .30-06 this year. Having done it many times before, I'm quite certain my .30-30 with 170 core lokt or power shok would not have stopped in that buck. The trouble you had finding the buck you gut shot was your fault not the cartridges fault. Pretty sure you know that.

I always use Winchester Power Point 170's and my wife uses 150 Core Lokts. I've had a lot of good quick kills but I've found when I do need a blood trail I dont have one. I'm seriously thinking about Buffalo Bore 190's.
And it wasn't gut shot it was a hindquarters hit.

Last edited by moosemike; 12/16/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 300 Winchester Magnum is my all time favorite.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Savage model 99 in a .300 Savage....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

May BE ! wink

Jerry

I always use Winchester Power Point 170's and my wife uses 150 Core Lokts. I've had a lot of good quick kills but I've found when I do need a blood trail I dont have one. I'm seriously thinking about Buffalo Bore 190's.

What about the Federal 170 PTs or Barnes 150’s. Seems like if they don’t make it through not much else could either.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No question, this one.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Sako 85. 260 Remington

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Ruger Mark II stainless 338 boat paddle stock
and 30-06

I"m not sure about ALL TIME FAVORITE, for it's certainly one of my favorites, that and the old Winchester mod 70 Featherweight XTR or classic in 30-06 either one.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

May BE ! wink

Jerry

I always try to avoid hind quarters shots. Never tried 170 power points but have used the 150's and they don't penetrate as well as any of the 170's I've used, often not exiting, which isn't conducive to good blood trails. I've killed 80 deer with a .30-30 as of two years ago. Never lost one and never had one go more than 75-80 yards after the shot. The vast majority went less than 50 yards..

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by handwerk
For me it's easy, a pre 64 Model 70 featherweight in .270...and you?

I think the one rifle I regret getting rid of more than any other was a Sako 78 .22LR. Really miss that one. That had to be my favorite factory rifle of all time.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m a sucker for nice walnut and blue; Savage-Anschutz 54 Sporter

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
I’m a sucker for nice walnut and blue; Savage-Anschutz 54 Sporter

[Linked Image]

Me too, Keith. Very pretty rifle.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

May BE ! wink

Jerry

I always try to avoid hind quarters shots. Never tried 170 power points but have used the 150's and they don't penetrate as well as any of the 170's I've used, often not exiting, which isn't conducive to good blood trails. I've killed 80 deer with a .30-30 as of two years ago. Never lost one and never had one go more than 75-80 yards after the shot. The vast majority went less than 50 yards..

Of course we all try to avoid hindquarter shots. I'll repeat myself. I had a 50 yard broadside shot. No reason to believe I missed so when the deer started running I fired a follow up shot which hit too far back. First shot must've been deflected. No I don't try for hindquarter shots.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

May BE ! wink

Jerry

Of course we all try to avoid hindquarter shots. I'll repeat myself. I had a 50 yard broadside shot. No reason to believe I missed so when the deer started running I fired a follow up shot which hit too far back. First shot must've been deflected. No I don't try for hindquarter shots.
Anybody who's hunted much has had a deflection from an unseen obstacle at some point. Not sure another cartridge woud have made much difference but maybe a scope woud have.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The one that's my favorite for sentimental reasons (and I have a few of them), is my Ruger 77 RLS in .358Win that my Wife bought for me (The ONLY one she's ever bought me). It's not my most accurate rifle, but it has never failed me. It'd be the last one to go...

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
The one that's my favorite for sentimental reasons (and I have a few of them), is my Ruger 77 RLS in .358Win that my Wife bought for me (The ONLY one she's ever bought me). It's not my most accurate rifle, but it has never failed me. It'd be the last one to go...

That's a great looking rig!!! You're a lucky man..... cool

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 69 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.