Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
The thread in the "Campfire" forum discussing the "Creedtards" and the merits of the 6.5 Creedmoor vs various other cartridges got me to thinking.

I have a Montana Rifle Company .260 Rem which was one of the Campfire Special order rifles Whittakers offered a few years ago. This rifle has a 3.1" mag box and a 8-twist 22" barrel. I have not reloaded for the rifle so I do not know if it is throated to allow for long high BC type bullets, similar to Hornady 147gr ELD-M. For those of you who have developed loads for this rife, does the throat length allow maximizing the mag box length and high BC bullets?

If it does then our rifles give up nothing to the 6.5 Creedmoor and I can join in the "Campfire Creedtard" discussion and poke some fun. smile

HR IC

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
anybody that has one of said rifle or knows where one is still nib please message me. i'd love to have one but was late to the party.
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Long, high BC type bullets often can use shorter, not longer, throats if that's what you're thinking about.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by VaHunter

I have a Montana Rifle Company .260 Rem which was one of the Campfire Special order rifles Whittakers offered a few years ago. This rifle has a 3.1" mag box and a 8-twist 22" barrel. I have not reloaded for the rifle so I do not know if it is throated to allow for long high BC type bullets, similar to Hornady 147gr ELD-M. For those of you who have developed loads for this rife, does the throat length allow maximizing the mag box length and high BC bullets?

Nice combination.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by mathman
Long, high BC type bullets often can use shorter, not longer, throats if that's what you're thinking about.

Me using high BC bullets in my example was a poor example. I guess what I am asking is it throated to allow heavy bullets to be seated out to maximum magazine box length, therefore allowing maximum powder space and performance. Having the 3.1" mag box is of no use if the bullets cannot be chambered at that length.

Originally Posted by whitearrow
anybody that has one of said rifle or knows where one is still nib please message me. i'd love to have one but was late to the party.
thanks,
Big Ed

I have been pleased with mine. You may want to post a "Want to Buy" in the classifieds here, someone may see it and have one of them for sale.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Me using high BC bullets in my example was a poor example. I guess what I am asking is it throated to allow heavy bullets to be seated out to maximum magazine box length, therefore allowing maximum powder space and performance. Having the 3.1" mag box is of no use if the bullets cannot be chambered at that length.

I disagree. Moving slender bullets in a bottlenecked case back or forth a tenth of an inch or forth doesn't make a big enough percentage change in powder capacity to provide a significant performance increase. Furthermore, if you can reach the lands at a bit shorter length then having some magazine length left to work with will allow chasing the lands as they erode.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I disagree. Moving slender bullets in a bottlenecked case back or forth a tenth of an inch or forth doesn't make a big enough percentage change in powder capacity to provide a significant performance increase. Furthermore, if you can reach the lands at a bit shorter length then having some magazine length left to work with will allow chasing the lands as they erode.

Id agree a bunch with Mathman here. I’d like to have some room to lengthen my loads as throat wear occurs. Plus as he said, short throats aren’t a bad thing with super pointy bullets.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The "Campfire Special" had fluted barrels, correct?

V
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Yes they had fluted barrels

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes they had fluted barrels

I know it's silly and the flutes are mostly aesthetic but they are one of my weaknesses. I remember drooling over these a few years back.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I like the rifle and it shoots great with the few factory loads I have shot in it. It does weigh a little more than I had hoped, and what MRC had estimated they would weigh. If memory serves it is around 7lb 4oz or so and we thought they would come in under 7#.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the rifle and it shoots great with the few factory loads I have shot in it. It does weigh a little more than I had hoped, and what MRC had estimated they would weigh. If memory serves it is around 7lb 4oz or so and we thought they would come in under 7#.

If I recall correctly they had green stocks? Any idea who manufactures them for MRC? Do they make them in house?

V
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Yep, green and they were made in house. I think this was their first attempt to do them in house and this and the flutes were what was hoped to keep the weight down but the stocks are a little chubby and heavy, not real bad but not McMillan class. As you may know MRC actions are known to be heavy so it takes some doing to get the total rifle to be under 7#. I think the new ones do get below 7# in the short action with the latest stocks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds pretty similar to a Winchester Extreme Weather

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yep, green and they were made in house. I think this was their first attempt to do them in house and this and the flutes were what was hoped to keep the weight down but the stocks are a little chubby and heavy, not real bad but not McMillan class. As you may know MRC actions are known to be heavy so it takes some doing to get the total rifle to be under 7#. I think the new ones do get below 7# in the short action with the latest stocks.

I bought one of the LH .243 Win 24HCF specials, and special ordered a 6.5x55 same config as the 24HCF .260 Rem rifles except long action. The short action stock went 32oz. The long action stock went 31 oz. Close to same weight as the standard fill McM's I have owned. However, as noted above, stock shape was kinda like a pregnant guppy. Nice petite, open wrist. Relatively narrow fore end. However, the area around the action kinda "bulged". Not egregious. But definitely a unique stock pattern.

Last edited by Orion2000; 12/17/19.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have one and I load the 140 berger vld for mine. I seat it out close to the lands and if i recall right i think they're about 2.95". They shoot great at that and have gone under 1/2 moa several times.

Mines not new in the box. It's been been to the range mayne 4-5 times and has a few light safe scratches on the stock finish.

I'd sell it if anyones interested. I still have the box and paperwork. I think it was one of 25 right hand models made.

I've got way too many hunting rifles considering I haven't been able to hunt much lately. I probably have a dozen I haven't even shot yet. Make me a decent offer on the MRC campfire 260 and I'll box it up and send it to your ffl.

Bb

V
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have one and I load the 140 berger vld for mine. I seat it out close to the lands and if i recall right i think they're about 2.95". They shoot great at that and have gone under 1/2 moa several times.

Mines not new in the box. It's been been to the range mayne 4-5 times and has a few light safe scratches on the stock finish.

I'd sell it if anyones interested. I still have the box and paperwork. I think it was one of 25 right hand models made.

I've got way too many hunting rifles considering I haven't been able to hunt much lately. I probably have a dozen I haven't even shot yet. Make me a decent offer on the MRC campfire 260 and I'll box it up and send it to your ffl.

Bb

Thanks for that first hand information.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know this isn't the classifieds but I've been getting some PMs due to what I posted above. I'd should just go ahead and say here that I'd like to get $1150 for it. Other than a few light surface scratches from the safe its excellent less than 100 rounds fired. I had it sold here once for that price but the check never came.

I get lots of inquiries about it but as soon as I say a price they go away fast. Maybe my price is too high. New regular x2s are $1300 now and this is one of 25 and fluted. I know most here are looking for a deal and I can appreciate that but if you would only offer $400-$500 like some have then please don't ask for pics. I'm not coming that far down.

Thanks,
Bb

V
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Burleyboy,

I think your asking price is very fair.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I still have this MRC campfire special and would still like to sell it if anyone is looking for a 260.

Bb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 56 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,565
Posts18,491,815
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.