-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because bullets matter wayyyyyyyyyyy more than headstamps,I'd greedily lose case capacity,to grab RPM. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Teeker 243's suck ass,because they are a 1-10" Retard Twist Rate on a fhuqking 30-'06 receiver. STUPID +P+++! Hint.

Winchester isn't much better,as they'll stretch to 3" COAL,but are a fhuqking 1-10" RPM Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Montucky follows suit in RPM,but at 2.815" COAL. Hint.

I'd rather shoot a 1-8" or 1-7" 6XC or 6BR over any/all of 'em. Why? The better bullets,will offset the case capacity differences of a 243Win in comparison,rather quickly and it'll correlate nicely to terminal effects. Have only shot a brace of 1-8" 6XC's,that were formerly OEM 10" 243Win Montucky's. Hint.

Barrett do the 243Win right,at 3"+ COAL and 1-7",with throating on the money. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pass everyone's 243 Kreedmire,over a Retard Twist Rate 243Win. With metal in hand,you've got moves and of course Factory Fodder jives with same. Hint.

Even Ruger's RAPR will SMOOCH 105's from modest COAL MagPul's,then there's steel bindered with more latitude and steel binderless for javelins. Hint.

Boobs TRYING to "talk" rifles,never ain't not fhuqking HILARIOUS and you Clueless Fhuqks are a hoot! Pardon my shooting it all and then some. Hint.

Bless your hearts for TRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
It's about time you showed up stick. Welcome to the party.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I bought a beautiful winny supergrade in 243 this spring. It has not been shot yet .I could part with it. if interested send me a PM.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Buckman
I bought a beautiful winny supergrade in 243 this spring. It has not been shot yet .I could part with it. if interested send me a PM.

Feel like I've been down the Winchester 243 road enough for now and mostly for Stick's reasons. Thinking fast twisted 243. Well, faster than 1-10 anyhow. Thought Ruger did the American Predator in 1-8 but maybe it's a 1-9...? I know Salvage is a 1-9.25. The X-bolt is 1-10 but I'd bet dollars to donuts it will out shoot anything else twisted such.

Anyway, I'm gonna pass on that offer and hold out for something different this time around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Technoman26

Feel like I've been down the Winchester 243 road enough for now and mostly for Stick's reasons. Thinking fast twisted 243. Well, faster than 1-10 anyhow. Thought Ruger did the American Predator in 1-8 but maybe it's a 1-9...? I know Salvage is a 1-9.25. The X-bolt is 1-10 but I'd bet dollars to donuts it will out shoot anything else twisted such.

Anyway, I'm gonna pass on that offer and hold out for something different this time around.

If this is a coyote rifle, what bullets are you planning to shoot that will require a ROT quicker than 1-10"?

I've shot dozens of coyotes in CO, KS, NE, and SD with 243s while shooting 80 grain Federal blue box factory loads and handloads that feature the 85 grain Sierra BTHP. I've never felt handicapped with these loads, but I call coyotes and don't think that I've ever shot more than a hand-full at ranges greater than a quarter mile, all with rifles barreled 1-10" and 1-9".

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I also believe I said this is mostly just boredom and fodder for discussion and entertainment. So say we back off the specs to MOA...just for discussion. We could also open the door to used rifles and spend some more cash. But I was thinking about something I could pick up and not spend a fortune and have good, not reasonable, accuracy. In the end, I won't spend $2k on this rifle, but for the right rifle, I could maybe go $1500. But can I get $1500 accuracy out of a $450 Ruger American or a used $300 salvage?

If I had to pick a bullet, I'd probably choose the 100gr Sierra GameKing BTSP or as my do-all. What would you recommend?

There’s a Tikka chambered as such in the classifieds, priced well and supposedly a proven shooter. I’d roll with that.

Last edited by ryoushi; 12/17/19.
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

If this is a coyote rifle, what bullets are you planning to shoot that will require a ROT quicker than 1-10"?

I've shot dozens of coyotes in CO, KS, NE, and SD with 243s while shooting 80 grain Federal blue box factory loads and handloads that feature the 85 grain Sierra BTHP. I've never felt handicapped with these loads, but I call coyotes and don't think that I've ever shot more than a hand-full at ranges greater than a quarter mile, all with rifles barreled 1-10" and 1-9".
'
That's a legit question. If I were going after deer with it, as mentioned, the bullet would likely be 100gr Sierra GK BTSP which is overkill for coyotes.

For coyotes I've used 65gr V-Max with good success and run them through both 1-9 twist Rugers and 1-10 twist Winchesters. I think what I'm looking for more than anything with this 243 will be an accurate 243 no matter the bullet choice. And if it CAN do it all, great. If it's only accurate with lighter bullets, I could live with that because it's not likely to be the choice for deer, moose or anything else I might hunt, but I'd rather have the option.

I can call coyotes up north and have shots out to 300-400 yards in some logging cuts. Around home, there are some power line areas I could stretch to 500. But as you know, around here, most shot are going to be less than 100 under regular/normal hunting conditions.

Anyway...just pondering options. Lots of good information to go with.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by ryoushi
I also believe I said this is mostly just boredom and fodder for discussion and entertainment. So say we back off the specs to MOA...just for discussion. We could also open the door to used rifles and spend some more cash. But I was thinking about something I could pick up and not spend a fortune and have good, not reasonable, accuracy. In the end, I won't spend $2k on this rifle, but for the right rifle, I could maybe go $1500. But can I get $1500 accuracy out of a $450 Ruger American or a used $300 salvage?

If I had to pick a bullet, I'd probably choose the 100gr Sierra GameKing BTSP or as my do-all. What would you recommend?

There’s a Tikka chambered as such in the classifieds, priced well and supposedly a proven shooter. I’d roll with that.

Haven't drunk the Tikka cool-aid and probably won't. I know what I read about them here and elsewhere, but it's just a rifle that I have no interest in.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I would use the 100 grain Sierra on both deer and coyotes.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would use the 100 grain Sierra on both deer and coyotes.

I concur

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Kimber Montana or mod 70 featherweight

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd seriously look at the Ruger Predator. 22" barrel. 1 in 9 twist. Threaded barrel, and AI style magazine. 6.6# with mid weight barrel.
Heck of a gun for $400 shipped.
Yes, there are some negatives, but many could be improved.
Stock, bolt handle and plastic shroud could all be swapped, if you chose to.

If the Tikka is out, that would be really my only other choice. I'm LH, but that isn't a factor, because the same are available in both RH and LH.

Sounds like you want a repeater. Sometimes the bolt action single shot Coopers can be found for $1200-$1300. Accuracy is always great. Twist is 1 in 10" on those.

Some people try to make the 243 something it isn't, and strive for heavy weight bullets, long OAL and high BC numbers. In practical hunting situations, that doesn't really mean Jack Schitt.

Good bullets in the 80 to 100 grain range will do everything you need a 243 to do, with lighter ones as an option for varmint/plinking.
I have shot several coyotes and deer with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX. They didn't protest because it wasn't a 120 grain bullet. Actually, it worked as well as a larger caliber.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
all the rifles mentioned are great rifles mentioned, but if you are just buying a rifle to hunt with and not target shoot alot myself i would only buy one of these 3 rifles just because they are just a neater type rifle to hunt with . Browning BLR ,used maybe or new Ruger #1 , or a used Savage 99.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KenMi
I'd seriously look at the Ruger Predator. 22" barrel. 1 in 9 twist. Threaded barrel, and AI style magazine. 6.6# with mid weight barrel.
Heck of a gun for $400 shipped.
Yes, there are some negatives, but many could be improved.
Stock, bolt handle and plastic shroud could all be swapped, if you chose to.

If the Tikka is out, that would be really my only other choice. I'm LH, but that isn't a factor, because the same are available in both RH and LH.

Sounds like you want a repeater. Sometimes the bolt action single shot Coopers can be found for $1200-$1300. Accuracy is always great. Twist is 1 in 10" on those.

Some people try to make the 243 something it isn't, and strive for heavy weight bullets, long OAL and high BC numbers. In practical hunting situations, that doesn't really mean Jack Schitt.

Good bullets in the 80 to 100 grain range will do everything you need a 243 to do, with lighter ones as an option for varmint/plinking.
I have shot several coyotes and deer with the 80 grain Barnes TTSX. They didn't protest because it wasn't a 120 grain bullet. Actually, it worked as well as a larger caliber.

Ken,
This is actually where I think I'm leaning. I don't love some things about the Ruger American Predator but the 22" @ 1-9 with a mid-weight barrel seems a good compromise at a price point that doesn't break the bank. I've read good things about these rilfes, bad too, but the good seems to outweigh the bad. Besides, @ $400, I can throw it away when I'm done and not feel too bad about it.
Rob

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
$350 700 SPS 243 in a Saber Chassis

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I just saw they make the Go Wild Camo version in 243 as well. Model 26924. Only about $70 more from dealers. Burnt bronze Cerakote, camo stock, AI mag. 22" barrel (looks to be the same mid weight barrel, same overall weight), threaded, with brake included.

You certainly could not get a Cerakote job, stock dip and muzzle brake for $70

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Featherweight Compact

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MGunns
Featherweight Compact

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by MGunns
Featherweight Compact

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good stuff. Did you read through the whole thread? I'm gonna pass on the model 70s in 243.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's a Montana in the classifieds right now, or the was last night anyway.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.