Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool thread.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool thread.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried it in airplane mode so it's only using the phone's GPSr?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've had it airplane but not today. There are times when I want the gps but want the phone service, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Don’t think Gaia has the block management info or walk in access stuff but I really have not looked for that. It does allow for accessing your account and info from a computer. You can build in waypoints, routes etc from your smart phone or computer. If you are going to be off the grid you need to download mapping areas ahead of time, which is fairly easy. I have our entire county plus overlaps around it saved in my phone. When we went up to Glacier NP this summer I added the entire park without issue. I find that OnX boots up a little slower at times, not a big issue. Not bashing OnX at all, just finding that I am using Gaia more and more. No matter which one you use, invest in a small battery pack that plugs into your phone. They are cheap and are the size of 2 Bic lighters. Some phones the battery goes wonky as they age, others are fine. I have not had any issues with battery life while out on missions or while we were up in Glacier, have gone a few days without recharging and not needed the spare battery. Put my phone in airplane mode and at times the power save function in Gaia.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want ONX and I wanted to get a new phone. I hunt in a lot of places that dont have cell service, so I wanted to use off line GPS mode. I was planning on a Iphone XR with 64G, but naturally I can get 128G if I needed it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use the IPhone XS Max 256GB. Works awesome. I download a pile of maps and use it in multiple states. Using it in Airplane mode with the extra charger/case gives me a ton of flexibility. Very happy with OnX on my phone.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ordered the 128G XR. I used 11G on my 256G Iphone 7, so without maps, I use very little memory.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OnX is a great tool for planning and situational awareness while hunting. It’s not a true navigation tool though. At least not in the sense of what you’d find with a Garmin. I don’t typically need a nav tool and OnX provides all the information I need. OnX did add a bearing and range to waypoint tool so it’s starting to incorporate nav tools.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been playing with GAIA Premium. It does has BLM and other public land. Many more features than onX which also means its not as user friendly. But I'm really, really, liking it.

IC B3

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya liking it better than onx huh Bama?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm thinking Gaia if you are more tech savvy, all the features can be cumbersome (its not that bad once you figure out all the layers). For someone who hasn't used GPS much onX is much more user friendly. Another way of saying, Jud, you would throw your phone in the creek after screwing with Gaia. grin

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
😂😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Many of these programs are higher tech than I can even pretend to need. Most of the layers I'll never look at. I just need something to get me there and back and to keep track of where I left that cussed dead elk in the dark last night.

― George Orwell

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I went Onx. So far so good.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
One thing I've noticed with OnX is that the tracks don't always exactly follow the trails I've hiked. They can be as much as 10 yds off from what I can see using the satellite photos. Normally 10 yds is no big deal. If I can't find my way within 10 yds I'd better stay home. However, if I had to use an inaccurate waypoint to mark a dead elk in heavy cover it might be a different story.

Using my Garmin Montana with a HuntX chip for geocaching, I've found it accurate within 3'. I haven't yet used my phone and the Garmin side by side to check for the the phone's GPS accuracy.

This is a guess, but that may just be differences in the mapping data...not necessarily an error on OnX's part.
The satellite photos may have been mapped using NAD 83 and the OnX maps may have been developed using WGS 84, or vice versa. Likewise your GPS/phone settings may be set to one or the other, where the map or overhead photos you're looking at was developed using different data.

It likely doesn't matter much as you mentioned, but I have had this issue finding small cadastral survey markers that have been overgrown with brush.
10yards is well within the margin of error of most handheld GPS units as well. But, if it's consistently offset it might very well be a difference in datums.

pointer- don't get me started, I don't have it in me anymore. grin
Map nerd!! Just don't end up in the canal...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have a gps with a HuntX chip...

Periodically it needs to be updated as land ownership and boundaries change. Sometimes trails and roads are updated. An update costs $30 for a year. It just happens to also give you the phone program so now you have both.

― George Orwell

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Starting to play with BaseMap. So far I think it does everything I do with OnX, at a fraction the price. $23.99 for the year (Kifaru discount).

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, yeah, strictly speaking $23.99 is a "fraction" of the $30 I pay to update onX each year--but as far as I can determine, does not provide the Block Management updates I need.

Does BaseMap does provide that?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was paying $99/yr for OnX. Basemap includes all states for $24/yr. I’d call that a fraction! wink

Edit: because I was originally doing it by one state, and then switched to premium (or whatever it’s called), I was paying a lot more. I should have paid closer attention to what the actual subscriptions were. They are all cancelled now. Not a slam on OnX, I actually like their product.

Last edited by prm; 12/18/19.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,174 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,476
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.