Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MILES58
I have seen almost no blood out of deer I have shot with a lot of calibers. With lead core and mono bullets even with large broad heads. I shot one with a .223 with a 53 grain TSX at 3300, zero blood and zero hair at the place the deer stood. All I could find the next day in good light was a single drop a couple feet from where the deer fell. it made it a little better than 100 feet and when I gutted the deer the heart was loose in the chest. One shot with a 50 cal muzzle loader destroyed the top half of the heart completely and the remnant was loose in the chest. Blood for three jumps and then nothing for fifty yards to where the deer fell. Shot one with a .243 heart loose in the chest deer ran 50-80 feet and fell. Got up ran back to where it was hit and dropped dead. No blood except where it died. Shot one deer with a broad head with over 2 inches of cut by 4 blades. Deer went 50 yards without bleeding a drop. then after one drop it made it another 20 feet feet and died in an area that everything withing ten feet was red.

I have seen the same thing out of cup and core bullets for a long time as well.

I have seen caliber size holes in and out with both cup and core and monos. I have never seen a mono make just one hole, but I have seen that with cup and cores often enough and those deer are more often poor blood trails. Good entrance and exit holes do not guarantee good blood trails nor massive internal damage. Caliber in and caliber out holes do not prevent good blood trails. Excellent blood trails do not guarantee short runs and easy recovery. The last one I shot this year bled like someone walked along with a bucket full of blood with a dime size hole in the bottom. Made it 300 yards +. Shot one last year, double lung, bled so much that could I still run I could have followed it at a dead run. Made it just over a mile. What happens after the trigger breaks is out of my control and Bambi does what Bambi does. One out of about three deer I shoot drops where it stands when I use a rifle. With the bows it tends to be more like one out of six-eight.

I process all my deer myself and have done so for every single deer I have ever shot. So, I know what those wounds look like. I have yet to be able to discern anything about the wounds from deer that bled/didn't bleed well, deer that ran a long ways or dropped where they stood that were not CNS shots, or the raw quality of the allowing them to run far or not other than CNS shots. I have seen deer die from what I considered minor wounds and deer mange long runs with hellacious wounds. IMO it's best to prepare for a worst case situation when I start out to recover them. What may be different for me than for others is that I have only seen two deer I shot get up again after going down after the shot. No guess as to why. Both were bow kills, both were hit well. Both bled well.

What I make the hole in Bambi with does not seem to make a damn but of difference.

Most every animal I have shot with a Nosler BT has a blood trail Ray Charles could follow. Many I have shot with monos had scan or non existent blood trails.
Honestly I have shot more than a couple deer and the only one I have ever had to track was a 100gr TSX out of a 25-06AI.
Bullets are a trade off you can have massive damage and the resulting quick kills or you can have penetration and a longer time to die. There is no magic.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/17/19.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Barnes are extremely good at crushing bone from any angle. So aim for high shoulder/spine and you'll get a lot of DRT kills.

I agree with that. Unfortunately they are more erratic when shot behind the shoulder.

I just don't see the erratic part really. Even ones shot to far back. Buddy hit two this year for some reason in the liver area, both fell at the shot. TTSX.

High shoulder. Not the best for error, go middle of vitals to get the most room for error every time IMHO.

But lots love that high shoulder shot.

I've seen 3 this year walking with that shot a bit to high but healing. And at least 1 last year. Usually see 1-2 a year with that shot a bit to high.

Probably the problem is that some folks that try that shot don't know exactly where its supposed to go actually.

You expect and like deer to run by your own admission..
Deer have to be one of the easiest critters to kill. When when runs an appreciable distance with a cup and core bullet out of a high velocity rifle it's an oddity IMO. With monos more often than not they run.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Perhaps you're over thinking this. I have used all the bullets that you mentioned. The Barnes bullets generally work as advertised. So do the others. Exceptions occur, sadly and to the detriment of the game and to our success. But not often enough to matter in the real world. Go forth and slay your elk. Enjoy the best venison ver!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barnes are extremely good at crushing bone from any angle. So aim for high shoulder/spine and you'll get a lot of DRT kills.

I agree with that. Unfortunately they are more erratic when shot behind the shoulder.

I just don't see the erratic part really. Even ones shot to far back. Buddy hit two this year for some reason in the liver area, both fell at the shot. TTSX.

High shoulder. Not the best for error, go middle of vitals to get the most room for error every time IMHO.

I've seen 3 this year walking with that shot a bit to high but healing. And at least 1 last year. Usually see 1-2 a year with that shot a bit to high.

Probably the problem is that some folks that try that shot don't know exactly where its supposed to go actually.

Or folks shoot at a deer that is 300 yards with a hold over for 350 and unintentionally hit high while all the while they were trying for a mid body hit.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Deer have to be one of the easiest critters to kill. When when runs an appreciable distance with a cup and core bullet out of a high velocity rifle it's an oddity IMO. With monos more often than not they run.

Not in my experience, at least not with a MV of 2700 plus and a shoulder shot. DRT. Complete pass through..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Not in my experience, at least not with a MV of 2700 plus and a shoulder shot. DRT. Complete pass through..

My experience is similar to yours Jorge.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Have been using the Barnes X since 1994 & now the TSX for elk. Taken numerous elk over the years. Used to use the Nosler partition for years before. The Barnes in my experience far out penetrates the Partition. As to weight retention it is not even close . Have recovered many partitions with their weight down by 35% at least. , but never a Barnes mono. When it comes to an acute angle shot on elk where the bullet must penetrate The Barnes wins big time over the partition. The Barnes delivers far superior accuracy in my rifles.What's not to like..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

When shot through bone just about any bullet will kill a deer neatly.
I dont shoot monos at any less than 3100fps muzzle velocity. But honestly even at 3300-to 3400 fps the increase in damage from a behind the shoulder shot isnt much more. Neither is the reaction to the shot.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/18/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to agree with BWalker. My personal experience has been less than positive with Barnes.

Just last week, my dad shot a nice 8pt with a Rem 700, 7 SAUM, 140 at warp speed. Shot was broadside at 40 yards with zero between him and the deer (field setting). Buck flinched at the shot and took off straight ahead. In the snow we had a hard time sorting out which track was his. I found blood about 25 yards from the impact. It bled but if not for the snow would have had a hard time finding blood. The deer actually traveled uphill for about 75 yards before it died. Scant blood trail. The total distance traveled was about a 100 yards. The shot was perfect - mid body, tight behind the shoulder. Between 2 ribs on way in, broke one on way out. Entrance hole was very hard to see from the outside, exit about size of nickel.

Necropsy showed the bullet went through both lungs and caused sufficient damage. This has been my experience with Barnes as well - invisible entrance, small exit, enough internal damage to kill the animal. Blood tracing has been difficult. Maybe I've not shot enough or seen enough animals shot with Barnes but I've yet to see a good blood trail. Those I've seen hit in major bones, different story. Most DRT. Dads buck from last year did that from exact same stand, gun and load.

I've been accused of heresy before and suspect the same will occur here for goring a sacred cow. Please pass me the Partitions.....

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's interesting, as I was just talking to my dad about the last deer I shot with a 7mm SAUM and the 150gr TTSX. It was broadside at 160 yards and the deer reacted minimally, making a run off my shooting lane. When I walked down there after dark, there was lung splatter on the tree 7-8' behind where the deer had been standing. Even with a 50yd death run, there was a better than average blood trail. I was honestly expecting a bit less from a rib shot with a 7mm mono bullet and was pleasantly surprised. I've used the 120TTSX in the 7mm-08 at similar speeds and it's typically adequate regarding blood trails, but not generally quite as good as a cup/core. It does penetrate well though, so there's pros and cons.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I shot an elk once with a 180gr TTSX out of a 300 RUM at close range in the snow. The animal didnt show any reaction to the shot and ran off like I missed until it dropped. There wasnt a single speck of blood in the snow until we got to the spot where it died. The exit nor the entrance were noticable without digging around. Both lungs had a hole through them that was beyond caliber size, but not pulped like when hit with a Nosler BT. Interestingly the entrance side had a massive amount of blood shot.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I lost a cow elk this season. 400 yards square in the shoulder. I did shoot again because I thought it was over, when I realized she wasn’t going down the calf with her had ran in front of her. No follow up shot. She crossed a county road and made it onto private. I don’t know if the bullet deflected off the shoulder bone, but I found round bone fragments in the blood trail. Load was 150 gr TTSX in 7 mag 67.0 gr of Reloader 26 at 3170 FPS. Maybe I was lower than I thought but my buddy agreed that the shot was near perfect. 2” in another direction I probably could of punched a tag.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Most every animal I have shot with a Nosler BT has a blood trail Ray Charles could follow..

I used BTs in .270 Roy and .300 Roy and rarely got exits on bigger wild hogs, and not much blood to follow.

Bullets are a trade off you can have massive damage and the resulting quick kills or you can have penetration
and a longer time to die..

that doesnt explain the DRTs I had with the old FailSafes even at ranges out to +/- 400yds.

less frontal area compared to other expanding designs and not the disintegrating explosive effect of NP/BT.

...but down they went.

They ones that were not DRT, typically left a sufficient blood trail to follow.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I never used the Fail Safes, although I have read reports that they tended to kill pretty slow, which isnt supprising.
I would also add that I killed an antelope with a 25 cal 100gr TSX at 250 yards or so and it died as if pole axes with a behind the shoulder shot. My brother used the same gun and load on another antelope the same trick with the same general shot placement at over 400 yards with the same result. However I had more than several deer run a ridiculous amount using the same gun and load.
JB was using the same bullet out of a 257 WTB IIRC and had an animal run way off as well.
The mechanisms of wounding are not unknown and it's also not unknown why monos work the way they do. They simply trade off damage via less shrapnel and less frontal area for penetration.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never used the Fail Safes, although I have read reports that they tended to kill pretty slow, which isnt supprising.

LOL.

Folks who purchased Echols rifles that were tuned with Failsafes were not happy when Win. discontinued them.

If you doubt it , you can call D"Arcy Echols.

Or you can believe those who went on expensive hunts with their Echols rifles would intentionally compromise
them with Failsafes.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One of those Echols customers, former forum member Allen Day said basicly what I typed above about the Failsafe IIRC as has Barsness.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/19/19.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Starman

Most every animal I have shot with a Nosler BT has a blood trail Ray Charles could follow..

I used BTs in .270 Roy and .300 Roy and rarely got exits on bigger wild hogs, and not much blood to follow.

Bullets are a trade off you can have massive damage and the resulting quick kills or you can have penetration
and a longer time to die..

that doesnt explain the DRTs I had with the old FailSafes even at ranges out to +/- 400yds.

less frontal area compared to other expanding designs and not the disintegrating explosive effect of NP/BT.

...but down they went.

They ones that were not DRT, typically left a sufficient blood trail to follow.

I've used the 180 BT out if a 300 rum on game up to elk. Never recovered s bullet out of a deer. Did find one under the hide on a elk that dropped in its tracks. Never had a deer run at all while using that bullet.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/19/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of those Echols customers, former forum member Allen Day said basicly what I typed above about the Failsafe
IIRC as has Barsness.

IIRC , Allen Day was impressed with the performance of .300win Failsafes on Cape buffalo and other African game.
and I do recall others on this forum over the years who have posted to say AD was a FS fan, detailing the success
he had with them.

going back a few more years, Finn Aagaard wrote that he had made the X monometal the go-to load in his .30/06
supplanting the 180 NP.

if folks were choosing an expanding bullet to load in 9,3mm or .375 as an all-round use rifle for Africa,
How many would choose a NP over an AF or current X bullet? ...

would they lean toward a disintegrating front section NP that penetrates 20 inches or intact X that goes 30 inches
or intact AF that goes 40 inches?

(I have no doubt some would choose the NP out of misguided loyalty .. grin)

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
we have used Nosler Partitions for years ,i have plenty partition bullets and have worked well on whitetail , mule deer bucks,antelope and elk just fine. have used Barnes bullets they seem to work good as well. but the last couple of years my son and myself have used Swift A-Fame bullets ,i like the Swift bullets the best in my 257 Weatherby Mag. for all deer hunting now days.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Bull elk are the baseline here. I like smaller chamberings, the .270 and .280 and the Barnes bullets work really well in this situation...so does Nosler Partition.
On smaller than bull elk bullet selection is not all that important. The Barnes 129 grain lrx is an Elk bullet

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.