-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd also check firing pin protrusion. But, I bet the gunsmith did that already.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've been through 4, don't have any at the moment but will likely buy another at some point (if only because the Kimber Hunter isn't offered in .223). I never had pitting, but I did notice that the Tikka stainless requires more care than some other rifles I've had, in order to avoid spot rust, thankfully the spots I did get were easily removed with bronze wool and kroil.

A few other things I'd change:

- Faster twist rates in the .243, 7mms, and .30 chamberings
- The stocks seem to transmit more recoil than other designs (newer Winchesters, Brownings and Kimbers)
- I'd like more than 3 rds of standard cartridges in a flush fit mag, I'm not scared of double stacks
- The two position safety is well located and locks the bolt, but I prefer a 3 position safety

Overall they are a decent value on a solid low-feature rifle, they built their reputations as excellent values back when they were a Benjamin or two cheaper.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/15/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I own 4 Tikkas....

T3 6.5x55
T3 260 (have not shot this one yet)
T3X 270
T3X 6.5 Creedmoor

These are the things I don't like about Tikkas:
1. Plastic bolt stop ** really **, don't think so.
2. Plastic trigger guard -->
3. Poor factory scope rings -->

The twists for my rifles is perfectly fine. ALL of them so far shoot very well

NOT to beat up on ya. I see you have 4. That's twice as many as I have.
I posted this later than your post here but my point is simply

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is my T3 Lite SS 270 exactly the SAME as I set it up in 2003
I've had NO problems with any of those things including the FACTORY Scope Rings.
The ONLY time I've had to adjust the scope was after a HARD fall - I bounced and the rifle hit the ground hard.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've noticed all I have to do is point my Tikka in the direction of deer and just pull the trigger, no aiming at all and they fall....lol
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've owned a T3 in 308 and a T3x in 30-06. Not a fan of detachable mags but no complaints other than that.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

B
B
I have two. A T3 forest in 270 and a t3x lite stainless in 30-06. Both shoot great. Only gripe is the twist in the 30-06 won’t stabilize heavy non-lead very well, but I also could just shoot a lighter Bullet or lead bullet.

The plastic stock isn’t my favorite, but admittedly it is better than most plastic stocks. Doesn’t compare to the composites like kimber Montana or Christensen IMO. With that said, the walnut stock on the hunter and forest models is excellent. The forest (maybe also hunter) has a nicely done palm swell and is surprisingly decent wood.

I wish there were easily available options for lightweight scope mounting on the factory dovetail. I know of sports match but they’re hard to find/figure out. also wish it was easier to get talleys that were lower than lows. But that’s not really about the rifle.

About the rust .... stainless is not rust proof, it just is more resistant. Keep it dry clean and LIGHTLY oiled and it won’t rust, blued or stainless.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BenfromNY

About the rust .... stainless is not rust proof, it just is more resistant. Keep it dry clean and LIGHTLY oiled and it won’t rust, blued or stainless.

Everyone knows that stainless is not rust proof.

What we're saying is that the stainless alloy used on Tikkas, or perhaps the finishing process, seems to render them less rust resistant than other stainless firearms. I had to be more careful about reapplication of oil or corrosion inhibitor after a wet day of hunting, or even just temperature change condensation than I did other rifles like SS Winchesters or Ruger's. I treat all of my firearms with Eezox before they ever go to the field and I touch them up regularly thereafter.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got 2.

A T3 Lite lefty in 30-06. I put a metal bolt shroud on it. I'm happy with it.

Also got a T3X Lite stainless lefty in 270 Win. Haven't shot it yet, but anticipate no problems. Always wanted a 270 anyway.

For a lightweight mountain-type rifle, I'm satisfied with them.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
Originally Posted by TX35W
For me the only real downside is the detachable magazine, which can be annoying in a hunting rifle if it gets lost while you're packing it in, etc. Otherwise...they real good.

I see this mentioned all the time, but I’m wondering how many guys have actually lost mags while carrying theirs. I’ve carried a few different tikka lites a good distance on foot, in an UTV, and a lot in a ranch pickup. never had a mag accidentally drop. And unloading/reloading the rifle is easier than with a floor plate, and much easier than any blind mag.

Me too, same ?

Someone said a while back 'here' that the detachable mags were "just something else to leave at Home!" Really ?
When you clean your bolt, what do you do with it ? Put it back in the rifle. SAME for the mags.

I've been using D Ms since they were called "CLIPS" in the 60s with my Dad's 760, 30-06. Have HAD & HAVE many D Ms today in Rem M Sixes & Tikkas.

I've NEVER lost one OR left one at home.

TO ME a D M is a PLUS! Others M Obviously V.

Jerry

I agree ref DM's being a plus. I've had multiple rifles with DM's, including a Rem 788, Rem 7600, and several Ruger Americans. I find them convenient when leaving the truck to hunt, and when returning at the end of the day.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
The only negative I can come up with, and I own several Tikka rifles, is Beretta only imports certain models for LH hunters & shooters. It would be much better if they brought the entire Tikka line into the US.

It is SO frustrating to see left hand models in desirable calibers not available in the U.S.!! It makes me do a hissy fit dance sometimes.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
Originally Posted by BenfromNY

Everyone knows that stainless is not rust proof.

What we're saying is that the stainless alloy used on Tikkas, or perhaps the finishing process, seems to render them less rust resistant than other stainless firearms. I had to be more careful about reapplication of oil or corrosion inhibitor after a wet day of hunting, or even just temperature change condensation than I did other rifles like SS Winchesters or Ruger's. I treat all of my firearms with Eezox before they ever go to the field and I touch them up regularly thereafter.

This hasn’t been my experience, I don’t believe tikka SS is any more rust prone than other makes with a similar finish.

I may could buy that an SS M77 MKII is slightly easier to keep rust free than an SS tikka, but that’s more to do with polished finish vs bead blasted IMO. I doubt a bead blasted ruger Hawkeye is any more corrosion resistant than a tikka. I’ve had all three of the rifles I’ve mentioned, with no significant rust on any of them. But I haven’t put any of them away wet either...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve seen enough on this thread and the RUSTING” thread to never buy one.

Ok. Where i live it rains four feet each year. To the West where i hunt it rains up to double that. Tikka T3X Lite ... zero rust. Yes, I hunt in the rain.

Last edited by longarm; 12/17/19. Reason: Edited to add suggestion of Corrosion-X
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

This hasn’t been my experience, I don’t believe tikka SS is any more rust prone than other makes with a similar finish.

I may could buy that an SS M77 MKII is slightly easier to keep rust free than an SS tikka, but that’s more to do with polished finish vs bead blasted IMO. I doubt a bead blasted ruger Hawkeye is any more corrosion resistant than a tikka. I’ve had all three of the rifles I’ve mentioned, with no significant rust on any of them. But I haven’t put any of them away wet either...

Funny, I can remember when there was lots of griping on this forum about SS Ruger Hawkeyes rusting easily. I had one and never had a problem. I think eventually the consensus was that it wasn't the SS on the rifle/action rusting but the media used to bead blast the finish. I wipe my rifles down when I'm done w/ them and never had a problem.

David

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
They are, easily, the worst rifle for me ergonomically that I have ever handled. I have wanted to buy one for years, but every time I hold one I absolutely hate it. They shoot great and are built well, but for whatever reason they just don’t work for me. I know a couple buddies feel the same.

My $.02

“To be is to do" - Socrates

"To do is to be" - Sartre

"Do Be Do Be Do" - Sinatra

KV
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have several Tikka's. I love them and find no problems with them. I just carry them a bit, shoot occasionally and mess around with them. I have had no problems with them. I try to by every one I can find that is close to local, and around $400 or so used. Best buy on the market. Accurate, light to carry and great actions to build a custom off of.

Off memory I have
T3 - 7mm Rem Mag
T3 Hunter .30-06
T3 SL .270
T3 7mm-08
T3 .243
T3 .223 1:8
T3 .308
T3 6.5x55 Swede (Fluted barrel)

They work well for me.

Last edited by Oakster; 12/17/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
Haters gonna hate. Think Glock, circa 1989.....

Why 1989?

Just because that’s as far back as I can remember them. 😜

Ha! Thanks, I thought maybe I’d missed something.

Oddly, I remember the month and year I saw my first Glock, August 1983... an Austrian border guard was packing one, and man I’d never seen a pistol like it!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve seen enough on this thread and the RUSTING” thread to never buy one.

Ok. Where i live it rains four feet each year. To the West where i hunt it rains up to double that. Tikka T3X Lite ... zero rust. Yes, I hunt in the rain.

Congratulations

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why 1989?

Oddly, I remember the month and year I saw my first Glock, August 1983... an Austrian border guard was packing one, and man I’d never seen a pistol like it!

My parents gave me a SS Colt 1911, 45 ACP of course, as a graduation present from high school. The fella that worked at the shop told my dad I could trade it for a Glock 17, as long as I didn’t shoot it (the good old days, for sure)

My response: not a chance in hell I want a plastic pistol.

Fast forward to today...I’m quite a Glock fan.

People will catch up to Tikkas.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Why 1989?

My parents gave me a SS Colt 1911, 45 ACP of course, as a graduation present from high school. The fella that worked at the shop told my dad I could trade it for a Glock 17, as long as I didn’t shoot it (the good old days, for sure)

My response: not a chance in hell I want a plastic pistol.

Fast forward to today...I’m quite a Glock fan.

People will catch up to Tikkas.

I think Tikkas are already pretty popular and well known, hell they were the top selling hunting rifle at a medium sized local gun store I used to frequent 10 years ago.

They're still good rifles, but between price increases and more strict MAP enforcement they are quite a bit more expensive relative to the rest of the market than they used to be. They've gone from being a must-buy deal to a frontish to middle of the pack contender. SS Tikkas under $600 and blued under $500 were great deals, now that prices are $120 to $150 higher, they just aren't the automatic buy they were, at least for me.

Honestly, I think the Kimber Hunter gives the regular Tikka Lites stiff competition these days, it costs about the same, has faster twist rates, 3 position safety, better ergos and weighs a pound less. My recent production Kimber has shot about middle of the pack, or a little better as compared to my Tikkas which in and of themselves are usually pretty good for light rifles (my CTR was phenomenally accurate, but also quite a bit heavier).

I'm certainly not a Tikka hater, but there are some things I think they could do better, especially as the price has increased.

Last edited by Gtscotty; 12/18/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't like that they don't fit me very well. The stock is a milk jug and feels like one too. I've owned 3 and only one of them was a tack driver. I also don't like the one action size for everything. In the grand scheme of things, that part probably doesn't mean anything...but I don't like it.

Before the bumped the prices way up, they did have some appeal because it is a well build gun for the most part. But when the prices got raised up...there are other guns that appeal to me more.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.