R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

I can handle a phone and drive. .
Well, you might very well be the only one who can... smile

Originally Posted by DougD
A topic near and not so dear to my heart. Sitting at a light with my brother and his wife we out riding 2 years ago. He was in the lane next to us, all I saw was movement coming over my shoulder.
They were hit at 35 MPH we learned later. The bumper of the car matched up to the rear tire of his bike perfectly. Shot the bike out from under them and they and the tourpack hit the hood of the car.
Sister in law died instantly (her neck was broken), my brother both hips, and tail bone shattered along with multiple internal injuries. He spent 19 days in the ICU unit.
He had gone through 7 different surgeries, was still having a rough time, doing anything related to everyday life. They went to do one more surgery he did not come out the other side, died in the OR. Buried him this spring.
That accident is one of the many they used for their case for hand free here. There were so many cases introduced as evidence it was just stunning.
When someone is texting they are not focused on driving PERIOD THE END OF STORY.
Exactly... If people would just get OFF their 'electronic heroin' and PAY ATTENTION when driving there's be a helluva lot less hospital (or morgue) visits by innocent citizens...

When I'm on the bike you can bet yer sweet bippy I'm watching my mirrors at any stop sign/light to see if any vehicle coming up behind me is gonna stop in time.. If I have ANY doubt, I'm makin' a beeline outta that spot and moving away from potential damage/injury... Good friend of ours was hit at a stop light in AZ.. Good thing the only damage was the bike.... He was hit by some babe yakin' on her damned phone...

MN just went to 'hands-free only' a few months ago and already the cops there have issued well over 5,000 citations for people with their damned phone stuck in their ear... Dumbasses..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I’m driving, my phones in the console. I can check messages/texts at my next stop OR pull over if it’s urgent. I don’t care how good of a driver you are, NONE of us can use a phone/text and give the operation of a motor vehicle the attention it deserves. That said, I see idiots EVERY DAY, in the road, swerving out of their lane, and they’re usually paying attention to their electronics, NOT the road.

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Next time you hang up your phone in the car...immediately think back the previous 10 to 15 seconds. How many people did you see on the side walk? Was there a sidewalk there? How many cars were beside or behind you? What kind of car was in front of you? I'm betting you can't remember anything like that like you would if you'd been paying attention.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My company has put together a $750,000 travelling driving safety program I attended a few weeks ago. They said statistics said that since the car was invented speed was the #1 killer in car accidents. In less than 10 years cell phones have doubled the numbers of speed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On a near daily basis I am endangered or delayed by some schidtstain ffuukking with a phone. The law ought to be simple. A violation of the law (swerving out of lane, no turn signal, slow in the left lane, not going when the light turns green) coupled with the officer witnessing you dicking with your phone gets you a distracted driving ticket.

Treat these offenses seriously. For example the second one nets you a suspension and forces you into the high risk insurance pool.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone who says he can text while driving safely is either a fool or a liar. Reminds me of those guys I used to know who claimed they did better work when stoned.

I am all for pulling phone records after every accident or incident, if that's what it takes to enforce even the distracted driving law.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm one of those troglodytes who won't own a smart phone. I also drive at the speed limit, in the right lane. One reason for both is the things I see while driving. The stupid stuff I see people doing while driving - or the way they drive - scares the flying fudge out of me. I have been in danger in my life, but never more so than when I'm on the highway.

In general, I hate laws designed to control my life and the way I lead it. But I'm a rational and safe man. Others out there are stupid enough that society has to be protected from them. They're also too damn stupid to obey those laws, unfortunately. That goes for all you "I drive over the limit because I'm good at it" types. Substitute "I can text, eat, read, masturbate while driving" for speeding and see that you NASCAR wannabes are no different.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I S

We have similar laws in Ark and they're getting more serious.

I use a Bluetooth when driving. If someone texts me, I call them if it's important. IF I must respond by text I STOP and then text.

Actually I use a Bluetooth most of the time anyway. I don't often HOLD the phone in my hand. I use power equipment,
lawn mower, weed eater, chain saw & tractor A LOT so I'm used to wearing the B t.
Phone on vibrate doesn't work for me with power equipment. The B t rings IN my ear.

I'm on the road often and I see drivers -- men & women -- texting or something on their phones and looking AT their laps or
down & right PLUS they CAN'T drive straight. It's more like a snake's track. OBVIOUS. Oh to be a Cop.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The laws are all made for different people...…..LEO's and everyone else.
Case in point, when we lived in Alaska the Chief of Police rear ended the car in front of him that was stopped at a traffic light. Seems the Chief was texting while driving. But he said it was a mission essential text so it was OK.
Law should apply equally, no keyboard playing by anyone while driving, period.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Our freeway speed limit is 80, 70 for trucks. So, we have cars going 80, trucks going 70, plus many drivers who don't want to go 80. It's a constant mess of playing bumper cars. It's safer if trucks have the same limit as cars to reduce passing although many large trucks can't go 80. They can barely top 70 as seen when they pass each other. Add in a bunch of drivers playing with their phones and it's a very dangerous game.

― George Orwell

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I am all for pulling phone records after every accident or incident, if that's what it takes to enforce even the distracted driving law.

Absolutely ! I'm all for that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am in favor of the no hand held cell phone laws. Driving over the road in the 18 wheeler, every day I see somebody getting stupid. Like driving 50 mph in the left lane in a 70 mph zone. Swerving.
About a dozen times a day I see this, and 98 percent of the time it is somebody texting on a cell phone.

I oppose seat belt laws. If you don't wear a seat belt it has no bearing on how you drive.
But hand holding a cell phone uses a good chunk of your brain, and it makes you a worse driver. It makes you a menace to other drivers.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had two friends killed by texting drivers in two separate incidents. Of all the laws concerning driving behaviour, the laws covering cell phones while driving have the most support from me. GD

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Niece was killed by some brain dead bitch who ran a red light and t boned her while texting.Anyone who has to be continuously texting or using the phone while driving is already brain dead.I have to do all I can to restrain my self from running brain dead idiots off the road when I see them texting or calling while driving.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone who says he can text while driving safely is either a fool or a liar. Reminds me of those guys I used to know who claimed they did better work when stoned.

This is a fact!

Originally Posted by greydog
I have had two friends killed by texting drivers in two separate incidents. Of all the laws concerning driving behaviour, the laws covering cell phones while driving have the most support from me. GD

July 4th weekend 2016 I was hit head on by a driver who was texting. I was out of work for 4 months recovering from surgeries. It was pure luck no one was killed. I'll feel the effects of the accident the rest of my life. Studies have shown texting is as bad or worse than drunk driving.

Last edited by fishnpbr; 12/18/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look Ma. No hands!

[Linked Image from thenypost.files.wordpress.com]

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just thankful we are the least regulated state in the nation,
Big brother and his 3 grade keep us all safe mentality hall monitor tattle tales DO NOT make the world a better place

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
My Niece was killed by some brain dead bitch who ran a red light and t boned her while texting.Anyone who has to be continuously texting or using the phone while driving is already brain dead.I have to do all I can to restrain my self from running brain dead idiots off the road when I see them texting or calling while driving.

They always get the horn from me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fishnpbr

This is a fact!

Originally Posted by greydog

July 4th weekend 2016 I was hit head on by a driver who was texting. I was out of work for 4 months recovering from surgeries. It was pure luck no one was killed. I'll feel the effects of the accident the rest of my life. Studies have shown texting is as bad or worse than drunk driving.

I hope the driver had the insurance to cover you. Somehow I doubt it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 700LH
Just thankful we are the least regulated state in the nation,
Big brother and his 3 grade keep us all safe mentality hall monitor tattle tales DO NOT make the world a better place

I am thankful for that. But that doesn't mean we have to be stupid about it.Don't need another law - just need to have a system that holds the irresponsible people accountable when they screw up. Get in a wreck or get caught swerving....pull the records and see if you're on the phone. If so, distracted driving citation. I don't know what the fine is for DD, but it should be stiff and include notification to one's insurance provider. Should go double for commercial drivers, who are supposed to be professionals.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.