Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
The laws are all made for different people...…..LEO's and everyone else.
Case in point, when we lived in Alaska the Chief of Police rear ended the car in front of him that was stopped at a traffic light. Seems the Chief was texting while driving. But he said it was a mission essential text so it was OK.
Law should apply equally, no keyboard playing by anyone while driving, period.

Absolutely. "Mission critical" is a lame excuse for endangering others. Someone forgot that the overall mission is "protect and serve".

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I'm one of those troglodytes who won't own a smart phone. I also drive at the speed limit, in the right lane. One reason for both is the things I see while driving. The stupid stuff I see people doing while driving - or the way they drive - scares the flying fudge out of me. I have been in danger in my life, but never more so than when I'm on the highway.

In general, I hate laws designed to control my life and the way I lead it. But I'm a rational and safe man. Others out there are stupid enough that society has to be protected from them. They're also too damn stupid to obey those laws, unfortunately. That goes for all you "I drive over the limit because I'm good at it" types. Substitute "I can text, eat, read, masturbate while driving" for speeding and see that you NASCAR wannabes are no different.

Wai, wai, wait a dog-gone minute! Slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww down!

You mean we can't masturbate while driving now?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by 700LH
Just thankful we are the least regulated state in the nation,
Big brother and his 3 grade keep us all safe mentality hall monitor tattle tales DO NOT make the world a better place

I am thankful for that. But that doesn't mean we have to be stupid about it.Don't need another law - just need to have a system that holds the irresponsible people accountable when they screw up. Get in a wreck or get caught swerving....pull the records and see if you're on the phone. If so, distracted driving citation. I don't know what the fine is for DD, but it should be stiff and include notification to one's insurance provider. Should go double for commercial drivers, who are supposed to be professionals.

Works for me

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Look Ma. No hands!

[Linked Image from thenypost.files.wordpress.com]

Do you expect anything more ? Who you Baby Daddy ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No hand held or texting over in Arkansas, no texting or hand held here in Oklahoma in school zones, the hypocrisy of the law is stupid funny.

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jwall
Look Ma. No hands!

She thinks she has a flat face now, best grip those damn bars mom. crazy

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwall
Look Ma. No hands!

I think this is somewhere in Asia.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by sackett
My 1996 C1500 pick-up was totaled from someone talking on the cell phone, not paying attention to the road and rear-ended me on the highway. I wound up with 2 slipped discs in my neck. The force on the truck hitting mine drove the bed into the cab, bent the truck frame and pushed me into the car in front that was also stopped. For those who say it's OK and you can handle talking on a phone and drive at the same time: think again!

Big fat black chick in a Lincoln Aviator rear ends a Ram 1500 into me in a Toyota Camry and I went into a brand new Audi. Of course she was under insured. We had a good witnessed that said all she did was swerve, no brake lights. The cops assumed she was on her phone. Nobody was hurt but the impact teepeed the bed of the Ram. I suppose that absorbed a lot of the energy of the impact.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Huntz
My Niece was killed by some brain dead bitch who ran a red light and t boned her while texting.Anyone who has to be continuously texting or using the phone while driving is already brain dead.I have to do all I can to restrain my self from running brain dead idiots off the road when I see them texting or calling while driving.

I used to tap the air horn on the fire engine in traffic when I would see people texting. I quit because I thought if one of those idiots crashed it would somehow be my fault. But in stop and go traffic here it is amazing what distracts drivers. People with magazines or book or newspapers on their steering wheel. a PLATE full of food, women putting makeup, hand held video games. It is no surprise at the amount of rear enders in slow traffic.

Last edited by smarquez; 12/18/19.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The people who claim to be able to drive safely while texting remind me of the people who claim to be a safer driver after a few drinks. Idiots. How many times have I had to dodge one of them, or swerve over, or slam on my brakes . Trouble is, they think they are doing just fine, but fail to see the other drivers and pedestrians they are endangering with their antics.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Look Ma. No hands!

No [bleep]!, A Suzuki Smash.................

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I text and drive while drinking. That's why they make seat belts, airbags, and cupholders. Duh.

<Montana font off>

LOL
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
So what are we gonna do? Make it illegal to punch up another radio station while driving? Adjust the temp on the heater/AC? Change the defrost to floor heat?

Each of those actions take your attention away from the road longer than swiping the answer button on your phone.

Now admittedly, there are a lot of people out there without the mental acuity to multitask even such mundane items as turning off the heater while driving. And each individual should be responsible for his abilities and actions. Just like with gun ownership.

But there are folks out there with the ability to fly fighter jets and simultaneously operate weapons systems/avoid enemy fire while talking on the radio. Truckers have been using the CB for 60 years while driving, and no one has been worried about that.

I do not understand why we have to dumb down the laws for the most limited in society, and force the most gifted to abide by them.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I do not understand why we have to dumb down the laws for the most limited in society, and force the most gifted to abide by them.

The laws are always written for the lowest common denominator these days. We live in a society where no matter what bad thing happens, there must be a law passed after it happens in a feel good effort to legislate it never happening again. .

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

But there are folks out there with the ability to fly fighter jets and simultaneously operate weapons systems/avoid enemy fire while talking on the radio.

Do I have to explain why that's a really bad analogy?

Truckers have been using the CB for 60 years while driving, and no one has been worried about that.

You gotta be kidding me. Besides the further bad analogy (push button - talk vs spelling out words (badly) while looking at tiny screen), a lot of us have seen truckers all over the road with mic in hand.

Distracted driving is what distracted driving does. It doesn't get enforced (if at all) unless it shows itself by action.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep, the laws only exist to make money, period.

I you want to have a law that states 'Mandatory 5 years prison sentence if you kill some one while texting and driving', fine. Otherwise it's a not about safety and all about money.

Again, people are being ticketed for something that MIGHT happen. Just like a guy drinking a beer and driving. Though I know lots of 'CONSERVATIVES' on the 'Fire agree with it.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I am not talking about texting. I am talking about the simple act of swiping the button to answer a call and talking on the phone, which is illegal in many states including Oregon.

If a cop passes you on the road, and you have a phone to your ear, it is an instant $300 ticket, as advertised by signs along the hiway in Oregon.

And tell me how my analogies are wrong when used to demonstrate that different folks have differing abilities. Do you think a fighter pilot is incapable of answering a phone call while cruising down the interstate at 70 mph in his automobile?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Should be NO laws against it, period. [bleep] the [bleep] nanny SOB's and so called 'conservatives' that are for it.

They need to stick the distracted driving law straight up asses of MADD moms

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Even ex-fighter pilots know better than to try.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in the Myth Busters era, even hands off phone conversations were worse that DUI. Their challenges were a bit tougher than mindless conversations like "oh nothing," as drivers had to repeat phrases, solve math problems, and do other reasoning tasks.

Been center punched head on once by a texting lady driving a van. Her rig did not fare well going up against a long bed F350 crew cab with a serious roo guard up front. Absolutely totaled her rig, never touched the grill on ours, and she had a death grip on her phone as they hauled her off in an ambulance.

The only gripe I have against these phone regulations, is they exclude law enforcement. They are no more talented than the rest of the population.

Likely, none of this phone business will ever apply to me. One can easily reach me in my office or at home. If elsewhere, I am out of touch and do not want to be bothered. I was recently on a 12-13 day elk hunt, and although there was coverage, there was never a need to touch bases with Cookie. Our guide, however, went to his screen about every 10 to 15 minutes.

I do have a flip phone, but it lives on top of our microwave in the kitchen and I do not answer it.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/18/19.

1Minute
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (29aholic, 204guy, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 42 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.