Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by longarm
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I’ve seen enough on this thread and the RUSTING” thread to never buy one.

Ok. Where i live it rains four feet each year. To the West where i hunt it rains up to double that. Tikka T3X Lite ... zero rust. Yes, I hunt in the rain.

Congratulations

Is Your mind Closed ?

A sincere question.
You’ve ‘read’ about SOME Tikka’s rusting. Ok, I get it.

You’ve ALSO read MANY here, including myself say WE have had NO rust
problems.

Regardless, you’ll decide without Personal Experience ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The “extra” cost for a Tikka gets made up in chasing loads that “shoot”. Pretty quick too....

Off the rack and factory fodder, I can’t imagine the Kimber Hunter could hang with a Tikka.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
now imma preface this with i'm about the biggest or one of the biggest tikka nuts you will find. TO ME they just check more boxes than the rest of the pack. but, when i pulled the barreled action outta my fluted stainless hunter 260 rem there was some "staining" of the stainless/silver. it didn't appear to be rust as i couldn't feel it on the surface best i can remember. the gun was at that time still new and never shot cept by the factory. it didn't make me happy but once i shot it i quickly forgot about the "issue". i did as i do all of my new to me rifles in that while i had the barreled action outta the stock i layed the eezox on heavy and assembled the barreled action back into the stock and as far as i can tell i've not had rust issues. now, i've not put a wet gun back into the case for days or even hours though. thought that was just common sense though......... heres a tip:cut you some 2"x2" section off on old t-shirt or gun barrel patches or whatever and go ahead a saturate them with your choice of protectant.i like above mentioned eezox or ballistol personally,and put em in a ziplock bag and put em in your day pack or truck toolbox or whatever you will be in when you are hunting and when rain hits when you get back to your truck wipe the exterior of the gun down before you put it in the gun case. if your feeling really froggy buy you a patch worm kit and keep that with you then you can pull a cleaning patch thru the bore also to be sho nuff protected.
just my thoughts fellas,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by whitearrow
now imma preface this with i'm about the biggest or one of the biggest tikka nuts you will find. TO ME they just check more boxes than the rest of the pack. but, when i pulled the barreled action outta my fluted stainless hunter 260 rem there was some "staining" of the stainless/silver. it didn't appear to be rust as i couldn't feel it on the surface best i can remember. the gun was at that time still new and never shot cept by the factory. it didn't make me happy but once i shot it i quickly forgot about the "issue". i did as i do all of my new to me rifles in that while i had the barreled action outta the stock i layed the eezox on heavy and assembled the barreled action back into the stock and as far as i can tell i've not had rust issues. now, i've not put a wet gun back into the case for days or even hours though. thought that was just common sense though......... heres a tip:cut you some 2"x2" section off on old t-shirt or gun barrel patches or whatever and go ahead a saturate them with your choice of protectant.i like above mentioned eezox or ballistol personally,and put em in a ziplock bag and put em in your day pack or truck toolbox or whatever you will be in when you are hunting and when rain hits when you get back to your truck wipe the exterior of the gun down before you put it in the gun case. if your feeling really froggy buy you a patch worm kit and keep that with you then you can pull a cleaning patch thru the bore also to be sho nuff protected.
just my thoughts fellas,
Big Ed

Excellent advice! Good post👍

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great thread! I took delivery of my first new Tikka T3x lite stainless in the rain yesterday. Haven't seen any rust yet, but I wiped it down with Ballistol when I pulled the plastic off. I fondled it quite a bit yesterday evening, and couldn't find any negatives for this thread.

Waiting on rings now. They should arrive with the next batch of rain. Our range is covered. Think I'll live a little and see how she shoots in the rain. I'll post back if it rusts on the way home.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
Haters gonna hate. Think Glock, circa 1989.....

+1

I have had several since 2000 including the Whitetail Hunter. It's too bad they have gone up in price.

Last edited by StrayHorse; 12/18/19.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Even if they are all $725, there's nothing I'd buy instead of.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I don't like that they don't fit me very well. The stock is a milk jug and feels like one too. I've owned 3 and only one of them was a tack driver. I also don't like the one action size for everything. In the grand scheme of things, that part probably doesn't mean anything...but I don't like it.

Before the bumped the prices way up, they did have some appeal because it is a well build gun for the most part. But when the prices got raised up...there are other guns that appeal to me more.

With that price increase could have came a true short action and/or a hinged floorplate for those of us that want options.

Given an short action and hinged floorplate or blind mag I would be all over one.

Damn sure good shooters but those are the things that kill it for me.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's not just stainless Tikkas that rust. I went on a Nilgai quest with James and Roger in Tx, and took my 338 Fed with Douglas stainless barrel. Walking the mud flat on the inner coastal waterway was enough to lightly pit the barrel, despite a few squirts of Remoil (All I had with me) before and after the hike to the island. I used some fine steel wool and oil when I got home ans was able to "almost" get rid of all the pitting, but rust on stainless is not a Tikka exclusive.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I don't like that they don't fit me very well. The stock is a milk jug and feels like one too. I've owned 3 and only one of them was a tack driver. I also don't like the one action size for everything. In the grand scheme of things, that part probably doesn't mean anything...but I don't like it.

Before the bumped the prices way up, they did have some appeal because it is a well build gun for the most part. But when the prices got raised up...there are other guns that appeal to me more.

With that price increase could have came a true short action and/or a hinged floorplate for those of us that want options.

Given an short action and hinged floorplate or blind mag I would be all over one.

I love the short action complaint.

You’re talking about less than 1/2” and four ounces. Like it matters.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

You are correct, it's peanuts.

Just preferences of mine and when I buy a rifle I am the only one I have to please.

To each his own.

Like I say, I just like options.

Never know, I could drink the Kool Aid and change my mind by the weekend, maybe sooner, nothing is set in stone.

That Super Lite in the classifieds sure is a nice looking rig.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/18/19.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P

But the plastic trigger guards. I mean....damn man, I can’t tell you how many trigger guards I’ve broken over the years. I puke them ALL the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long action for all chamberings, including 223, just bugs the heck out of me. But then again....I hate long actions in any flavor.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

P

It matters. Is it only 1/2" longer bolt pull for a 223?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’d be curious how many Tikka owners have found themselves inconvenienced by the lack of a true short action. And how many people who criticize the Tikka for this buy Remington 700’s in 223 when the Howa Mini Action is available?

I get it, though. It’s a cost saving measure. I held off on buying a Tikka for a while because I didn’t want to feel like I had a budget gun. When I finally got a Tikka and took it to the range, all the little things stopped bothering me pretty quick.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have several tikkas, all in SA chamberings, including a 223. Action length doesn’t bother me, though if I were building a 223 I’d use something else in a true short action for sure. It’s a preference thing and I won’t argue with anyone that doesn’t like the one size fits all action length

Bitching about the trigger guard or the detachable mags make very little sense to me though. They work great, No way I’d rather have a blind mag or floor plate from a functionality perspective .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
I’d be curious how many Tikka owners have found themselves inconvenienced by the lack of a true short action. And how many people who criticize the Tikka for this buy Remington 700’s in 223 when the Howa Mini Action is available?

I get it, though. It’s a cost saving measure. I held off on buying a Tikka for a while because I didn’t want to feel like I had a budget gun. When I finally got a Tikka and took it to the range, all the little things stopped bothering me pretty quick.

I know it's a personal thing. I can't like Rem 700 long actions. No real reason why. Rem 700 SA 223's and 223AI's? I'll love them all day long. Never tried a Howa Mini...but I don't have a need for it. Wanted to try a Fieldcraft 223 action, but I don't guess that will ever come to fruition. I've had several Tikka's, including 1-8" 223 lite, 1-8" 223 SS Superlite, 25-06, and 260. They all went down the road, because I have an aversion to LA's. But again....it's just me. And I can't get over it. Give me short action....or nothing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ponderosa11
I’d be curious how many Tikka owners have found themselves inconvenienced by the lack of a true short action.

NOT I !! I don't have or WANT a S A for any reason.
BobinNH, " I like long legged cartridges ". Hear ! Hear !

Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

Bitching about the trigger guard or the detachable mags make very little sense to me though.
They work great, No way I’d rather have a blind mag or floor plate from a functionality perspective .

I have divested myself of ALL blind magazines but 1 ! You have NO access to the mag well W/O removing the
barrelled action FROM the stock.

D Ms ( CLIPS ) have advantages. Blind mags have NONE. to me.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 12/18/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was shooting one day and a bystander was laughing because I was shooting 223 ammo in a 30-06 gun and was ashamed.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
I was shooting one day and a bystander was laughing because I was shooting 223 ammo in a 30-06 gun and was ashamed.

Yeah, the laughing turned to tears of joy (I think) from my competitors, after I shot a perfect at the last centerfire shoot:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I was sure wishing my CTR was a short action that day....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (44mc, 35, 21, 358wsm, 6mmbrfan, 406_SBC, 15 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,950
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.