Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This buck was hit broadside at 130 yards and the bullet did exit with a small exit hole. My son said the bullet looked like it penciled through. I would not be surprised if the bullet expanded and went through like a partition does with a small diameter by the time it exits. Sometimes the majority of the damage is about the size of a softball in the near lung.

300 win mag 178 Eldx started at 3000 fps.

Anyways, it did work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by RMiller2; 12/03/19.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Beautiful buck. How far did he go post-impact?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The deer only went down. My son said that the opposite shoulder was hit and he did have to give it coup de gras with a knife.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by fredIII
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Small sample, but I watched a rag bull take four (4) 7mm ELDXs straight to the chest this year, and he stumbled around for a full minute or so before falling over.

Dead on its feet after one?

Yes. About as perfect of a hit as a guy could hope for.

Are you also being sarcastic? 😎🤣🤣🤣.

He's got to be. What idiot would keep pumping an animal full of lead, if they knew it was "dead on its feet"?? Just sayin..

Came here to learn about ELDs and also found out I’m a total and complete idiot. grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The 143 eldx out of my buddies creedmor, failed to exit a smallish Alabama doe, at about 60 yards. Broadside shot hit a rib and blew apart. DRT, but shocked it didn’t exit a doe, broadside at 60 yards. Really starting to rethink this bullet in my 6.5-06.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunting buddy here caught a 143 on a slightly quartering away doe last week. He’s been shooting a .308 with 165gr loads and is not used to catching bullets.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Came here to learn about ELDs and also found out I’m a total and complete idiot. grin

Likewise Ralphie, didn't know I was doing it so wrong. And to think I even advise others to keep shooting if the animal is still on it feet!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Hunting buddy here caught a 143 on a slightly quartering away doe last week. He’s been shooting a .308 with 165gr loads and is not used to catching bullets.

Schitt happens. He may shoot 20 more critters at same or steeper angle and never catch another. May catch a 165 on his very next broadside animal.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always amazing when dead animals include an expanded bullet.

Am also still always amazed when hunters assume there was no internal damage, just because the entrance and exit holes are similar in size.

Does everybody do "gutless" these days, or do some still field-dress animals? If field-dressing, they should be able to tell pretty easily whether the bullet expanded inside the chest.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 12/18/19.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always amazing when dead animals include an expanded bullet.

Am also still always amazed when hunters assume there was no internal damage, just because the entrance and exit holes are similar in size.

Does everybody do "gutless" these days, or do some still field-dress animals? If field-dressing, they should be able to tell pretty easily whether the bullet expanded inside the chest.

😂😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is what I have killed so far with the ELD-X:

Precision Hunter 7mm WSM 162 ELD-X
- 160” Mule Deer buck @ 80 yards, double lung, exit.
- Buck Pronghorn @ 100 yards, frontal, exit
- 4x3 Whitetail buck @ 225 yards, broadside, exit
- whitetail doe & 150 yards, broadside, exit
- whitetail doe @ 100 yards, shoulders, exit
- whitetail doe @ 200 yards, shoulder, exit
- 4x4 Coues deer, 215 yards, lungs, exit

Precision Hunter 280 Rem 150 ELD-X
- 3 whitetail does @ 250 yards, high double shoulder, exit.

Have also seen 4-5 animals killed with 308 Win 178 ELD-X.

Won’t argue they are the best bullet for all scenarios but I have seen solid performance so far on 15+ animals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't killed anything with an ELD-X....but I've certainly been happy with the 108m in 6CM. I've punched shoulders at close range (purposely) without issue and have "trapped" a few on shots I'd expect to trap them on (from very dead deer). I don't really shy away from caught bullets as long as they reach that offside.

Yup.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
143 did just fine at 100 yds. Kinda funny though that we chase BC to kill most of out animals under 200yds. I wouldn’t even attempt a 400+ shot on the animals I am looking for.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ve killed 4 bucks with the ELD-X in the last two years. One with a 6.5PRC and the rest with a short 308. 3 of them failed to exit. Both on high shoulder and behind the shoulder. These were all less than 75 yard shots. The other with the 308 was around the 200 mark. It exited in several pieces. None of them went very far, but on a marginal shot, I would appreciate an exit to help with a blood trail.

308 pics- 18” fieldcraft. 30 yd shot

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14393636#Post14393636

Last edited by avonac; 12/21/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
143 did just fine at 100 yds. Kinda funny though that we chase BC to kill most of out animals under 200yds. I wouldn’t even attempt a 400+ shot on the animals I am looking for.

Very true. I find myself going back to Barnes and ABs more and more and not worrying about BC. 90% of my hunting is in the mountains, different terrain and I might would have a different opinion I guess.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Holston

Very true. I find myself going back to Barnes and ABs more and more and not worrying about BC. 90% of my hunting is in the mountains, different terrain and I might would have a different opinion I guess.

True on most of my killing being at shorter ranges. Wooded mountainsides keep most of my ranges short but the ag fields at the bottom of the mountain can give 800+ yard opportunities. As long as the same bullet will perform well at the shorter ranges, I'd prefer to be able to use it at longer ranges and while shooting during the off season. Mainly because of lack of time, I've lost any desire to have more than one load for any rifle....I don't want to experiment, I just want to mass produce, get drops, shoot a lot, and kill stuff. A "decent" BC is a plus but not as important as bullet performance to me.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
+1

lefty

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

True on most of my killing being at shorter ranges. Wooded mountainsides keep most of my ranges short but the ag fields at the bottom of the mountain can give 800+ yard opportunities. As long as the same bullet will perform well at the shorter ranges, I'd prefer to be able to use it at longer ranges and while shooting during the off season. Mainly because of lack of time, I've lost any desire to have more than one load for any rifle....I don't want to experiment, I just want to mass produce, get drops, shoot a lot, and kill stuff. A "decent" BC is a plus but not as important as bullet performance to me.

Well said. I’m in the same boat with the one load per rifle.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RMiller2
This buck was hit broadside at 130 yards and the bullet did exit with a small exit hole. My son said the bullet looked like it penciled through. I would not be surprised if the bullet expanded and went through like a partition does with a small diameter by the time it exits. Sometimes the majority of the damage is about the size of a softball in the near lung.

300 win mag 178 Eldx started at 3000 fps.

Anyways, it did work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I wonder if he checked well for the cup inside the chest cavity. Core may have caused the small exit.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Holston

Spot on. I have had this approach for a long time. Once I find a good load, I rarely switch bullets, unless I just want to test some that I got a good deal on. I don't like the expense of copper bullets, but would use them on heavy game. I like reasonably-priced, good shooting, standard bullets for the most part.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.