Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
waha Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Wolf attack pics/video on YouTube made by New Mexico ranchers.

Val Geist just emailed me this video link with the following comments:

Steve

"Very sad video, but we have had the same happening right around my house. Right now a second pack is starting to develop bad habits"

Sincerely, Val Geist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgOIvqKRtk

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by waha
Wolf attack pics/video on YouTube made by New Mexico ranchers.

Val Geist just emailed me this video link with the following comments:

Steve

"Very sad video, but we have had the same happening right around my house. Right now a second pack is starting to develop bad habits"

Sincerely, Val Geist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlgOIvqKRtk

Little bit of drama attached--don't you think?

Why am I suspicious about the Valerius Geist thing.........?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds to me someone has a "mission" about wolves.(yeah, a little too much drama)
but on the other hand I think reintruduction of wolves is one of the stupidist, most redicilous things ever done by any fish and wildlife office.
If they wanted to keep the animal populations in check, I can think of a few better ways...........like issue more tags, Dummies!

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Considering the propaganda coming from pro-wolfers it is good to see a side of the wolf that The Discovery channel will not show.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by walkingman
Considering the propaganda coming from pro-wolfers it is good to see a side of the wolf that The Discovery channel will not show.

Spare me.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I work with one of those "Lets reintroduce the wolves and if it hurts something, to bad" morons. Can't tell that fool a damn thing unless she already believes it.

X
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
X
What drama? All I see is someone telling it like it is. Whats wrong with that. I guess you don't have wolves in your back yard.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
+1 Since when is filming a wolf take dow a pet "DRAMA"????? Too much disney channel seems to me.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The problem with this issue is most of the public does not cohabitate with predators (wildlife) and untill their ox gets gored they have no understanding of the problem that is being forced on the rural population by wildlife experts with agendas and backed by the goverment. And if you dont think they dont have self serving agendas you havent been to a grizzly bear or wolf meeting with all the NGO's that support them (feds) you have clan of the cave bear, freinds of the swan, freinds of the three toed newt and others showing up to stop ranchers and farmers trying to deal with predation and problems on private land. And unless Iam wrong wasnt the livestock and pets attacked on private property. To much drama huh! danny

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Interestingly done.The saga continues and most people do not see nor read things like this little piece right down the road from me.

Showing no fear of people time and time again.
Wildlife Services confirmed a wolf had killed the three dogs and provided the dog owners with information on the 10(j) rule and how to protect their remaining dog. That same evening around sundown, Wildlife Services received another phone call from the dog owner who had shot at three wolves when they approached the dog owner's home within 40 yards, showing no fear of people.

Only a few days ago,a father and son were fishing off of a bridge in the high country where alot of hunters do there Elk hunting here.The father herd a slight noise and turned around to see five wolves in a circle around them with one being very aggressive.They were not far from the truck and were not packing weapons and beat feet out of there..I have a hunch,the Florence pack will be thinned out come hunting season.Many of the locals will not even go there now to do there gold panning because your danged if you do and danged if you don't,anymore.

Jayco

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh man!

I just cant wait to start killing wolves. I hate them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This my friends is what the wolf is all about, your seeing a real picture. This among other reasons was why man practically eliminated them from the landscape in the first place, there were very good reasons.
Hollywood and the media has painted a picture of a creature like in " Dances with Wolves' and the like, till the wolf is a myth and a mystical creature, almost to the point of worship is how many see it today, and not a true picture of the animal at all.

Lets face reality, the wolf should be right back where it was 20 years ago and that is facing extinction in the lower 48 and populations should be cut back drastically in Alaska too.

It must be nice to live in a dream world that will never again exist. I think some responsible for this fiasco live in that fantasy world.

Last edited by 700LH; 06/05/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks very similar to the tactics that organizations like PETA use to attack hunters, fisherman, ranchers, etc. That is dramatize and bring in as much emotion as possible, remove logic from the debate.

With that said wolves should be managed by the states and not the protected by the federal goverment. That is the direction things are going. I don't see how a video as such is going to help the cause. The kill'em all attitude isn't going to help the process of transitioning from preservation to management. Just my two cents.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

wolf report: rancher shoots wolf

A rancher shoots a wolf on private land, dog owners try to shoot wolves that killed three dogs, and federal hunters fail to finds wolves that may have killed a calf.

On May 16, a rancher near Leadore called federal officials with the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services to report that six lambs had been killed in a pasture near his house the previous day.

The rancher had heard a wolf howl near his home early on the morning of the 16th. He hurried outside with his rifle and shot a wolf that was among the rest of his sheep.

A Wildlife Services employee investigated and confirmed wolf depredation on the six lambs.

The rancher also contacted Idaho Fish and Game, and a local conservation officer investigated the shooting. Wildlife Services will continue to monitor this situation. The investigation revealed that two neighboring ranches also have recently lost a cow, four calves and five sheep to suspected wolf predation.

These ranchers were provided information on the 10(j) rule and cell phone numbers of local Wildlife Services employees.

In a separate incident, a rancher near Ellis reported seeing two wolves, a black and a light-colored wolf, in among his neighbor's cows in the same area where wolves had killed a calf about three weeks earlier.

He called Wildlife Services on May 15. Idaho Department of Fish and Game already had authorized the removal of three wolves in the area. A federal fixed-wing aerial hunting crew flew over the area but didn't see any wolves.

Also on May 16, Wildlife Services investigated a complaint of wolves killing three pet dogs a few miles east of Pinehurst. The dog owners also were concerned about their safety because a black wolf had been seen near their property several times during the past few weeks.

Wildlife Services confirmed a wolf had killed the three dogs and provided the dog owners with information on the 10(j) rule and how to protect their remaining dog. That same evening around sundown, Wildlife Services received another phone call from the dog owner who had shot at three wolves when they approached the dog owner's home within 40 yards, showing no fear of people.

Apparently none of the wolves were hit.

Wolves still are protected under the federal Endangered Species Act. But the so-called 10(j) rule, a part of the Act, allows landowners to shoot wolves seen attacking livestock, livestock herding and guarding animals and dogs on private land. The landowners need no prior written authorization, but they must report the incident within 24 hours, and there must be evidence of a wolf attack.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=3867

IDFG and WS got reports of a wolf inside a domestic elk pen in eastern Idaho south of Tendoy that reportedly had killed an elk. Under the federal 10j rule, domestic elk and deer are not considered livestock so no response was initiated. The individual was told that shooting at the wolf was illegal and that he needed to chase the wolf out of the pen using nonlethal methods, as any wild animal, especially a listed species cannot be held in captivity.

Jayco

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
According to many, we are overrun with wolves. Since we are only 20 miles north of Montana, I would expect these to be some of the same wolves which kill so frequently south of the border. For some reason though, the Canadian wolves are comparatively inept. Or , maybe they do all their killing in the US and just vacation up here. There are elk cows and calves running all over the place. There are domestic cows and calves all over the place. Same thing with whitetail deer. Every time a wolf is caught eating on a domestic cow, it turns out the cow was hit by a truck.
A couple weeks ago, we had an old, fat, half blind, deaf dog, spend the night about a half mile back of the house (and our place is kind of out of the way). He was curled up next to some deer remains (wolf kill?)he had found. No way should he have survived the night. Those bloodthirsty fiends should have finished him off in short order. They didn't. He was still there in the morning.
I've been here on this place for 15 years. I've seen a couple of wolves, so there are some around alright. My question has to be; Is there something wrong with our wolves? They just don't seem to act the way they should. On top of that, they are not very good at slaughtering the deer and elk. They seem to leave a lot of it up to the human hunters. I say this because, when antlerless elk tags are limited, the elk population goes up. When more tags are issued, the elk population goes down. The damn wolves don't seem to be doing their part. I guess, until we get some of those Idaho/Montana wolves up here, we just won't have the predators we should have. Our wolves are wimps. GD

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You probably have those mice eating wolves.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Greydog

Don't you guys in Canada have a hunting season on Wolves?One might expect if they were shot at without it being "illegal" it would make a huge difference and put some fear of man into them..Maybe not but it is illegal here to fire a warning shot,if you will.

As it stands,they have no reason to fear man here in Idaho..We also had Wolves like yours..They were here and I saw them and worked around them on several occasions..They pretty much left everything alone,also..But now they are multiplying like rabbits with new packs and pups being pushed right down into town..

As an Elk hunter like you,there are some story's I will not post on the net about Elk hunters doing what they do and ended up being hunted as they were close to Elk in large numbers which were close to private land where the Elk are safer from cranky old Ranchers.

I can say this..Memorial week-end had three camps in the closest Forest service campground(5-miles out of town) and not one other camp in the next 40 miles which is usually packed on the holidays.We did see 3- ATV's and all had guns on there racks..

You be the judge as I have no reason to make it up.

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
The damn wolves don't seem to be doing their part. I guess, until we get some of those Idaho/Montana wolves up here, we just won't have the predators we should have. Our wolves are wimps. GD

Greydog,
I understand your confusion. I myself have been told many times on this and other forums that my experience with Minnesota wolves does not count, because our Mn wolves are different than the western wolves. Minnesota wolves are wimps, unlike the western US wolves that were transplanted from Canada, home of the giant evil wolf. Now, I find out that Canadian wolves are wimps too. What the heck is going on?
Also, I'm told that EVERYONE out west hates the introduced evil giant Canadian wolves and the ranchers shoot at any wolf they see. However, these same western US wolves have no fear of man because there is no hunting season on them.
You know that some claim there was a resident population of "different" wolves already present in the area of introduced wolves, although no credible evidence of any genetic difference exists. I've read on hunting forums that the resident wolves were never seen, and never bothered anybody, but they were there. They were good wolves. Some have even claimed on this forum that the resident wolves were a different species! Wow! But, despite my pleas (with my sig line), no one will address that Bridger wolf.
There are stories circulating of bear hounds getting eaten, embellished with tales of bears running from the wolves by choosing to run away with the bear dogs, and past a group of hunters and vehicles (apparently far more afraid of wolves than dogs or men or vehicles- musta been no trees to climb). Other embellishments include dogs "giving" their lives for the hunters because the hunters were also being attacked while they ran for their lives back to their trucks. In one instance, a whole pack of wolves was beaten off with a stick, as the hunter ran away toward his distant truck, wielding his stick with great proficiency. The hunter was able to hold off the entire pack without getting a scratch from the evil giant Canadian wolves. We, on this forum, know this to be true because the son of one of the hunters told another kid the story, who then went home and told his dad, who then reported it here.
Some of these same guys tell me I don't know the real situation, saying I only believe what the lying government researchers say and what I read on the internet about their state. They say I should listen to them (because they live there), not what I read on the internet, apparently not realizing that I AM READIN WHAT THEY WRITE ON AN INTERNET FORUM.
Now, they are so scared that they won't go into the woods at night and they shoot at their guides because they were somehow convinced that the guide on a horse was a pack of attacking evil giant Canadian wolves.
Its so very confusiong. confused
I'm a bit worried about the fellas out west, but I'm sure they'll sort it out in good order. wink

There are many copies.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
D Pole

Your special,maybe Ed,but still special..Maybe the answer would be you actually visit Idaho rather than your famous,drive by.I know you and your attitude towards wolves would fair well,infact,I could help you get to the places you would need and want to be.

A friendly jest to someone whom is an unbeliever.I could actually take you to one wolf den provided it is still there since October of last year.The worst thing,maybe on your part,is to talk to just one or two ranchers,in person,whom have payed the highest price..Could be interesting but I am willing and able to be you taxi cab if you want the actual facts that are not published,which I doubt.

I feel it my obligation to back up what I say..I am game..Are you?Then again,you said you were a member of this forum and was invited to post your troubled mind there,but it hasn't happened and I doubt it ever will....But your more than welcome if you want links and to discuss it out in the open without ruining a Elk hunting forum...Kinda like the old days...Take it outside.
www.levergunluvers.com

See ya there.....But then again..I doubt it...

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
logcutter,
I'm "standing" right here. Bring it on. Why would I go to another forum? Pretending I'm afraid of going to your hood is just another dodge by you.
You don't know my position on wolves. You invent a false one every time you post. I have nothing against ranchers protecting their stock, and they have the right to do so. Quit making shiite up about me.
I learned in our last go-round that I cannot reason with you, despite trying for days. I read your posts and I think "no one could be that stupid, he must just be a prick, purposely distorting everything I write." But then you prove that you really are totally lacking in reading comprehension or are just plain stupid. I found that to get rid of you, I only have to get in the mud with you and you run away to your forum. But that's not my style, and I'd rather stay civil.
So, stop hiding at your silly forum, and go for it right here, if you can manage that without false accusations and with intelligent and civil discussion. I doubt that you can do it. Like I said, I'm standing right here. Fire away. Give your opinion, and don't pretend that you know mine. Say what YOU think.

For instance, take your last post:
Your special,maybe Ed,but still special.. Try to write without your continuous silly insults- If anyone is lacking here, it is you. Maybe the answer would be you actually visit Idaho rather than your famous,drive by.I know you and your attitude towards wolves would fair well,infact,I could help you get to the places you would need and want to be. "Famous drive by?" Somebody asked me what my experience in Idaho was, and I reported it; freely and honestly. And what attitude of mine (that you have assigned me) will you change by showing me Idaho? I don't need to visit Idaho, I listen to the experts. I have no reason to go there.

A friendly jest to someone whom is an unbeliever. Tell me what I don't believe that you will show me. I could actually take you to one wolf den provided it is still there since October of last year. I've seen lots of wolf dens. What would it prove for you to show me one? The worst thing,maybe on your part,is to talk to just one or two ranchers,in person,whom have payed the highest price.. Get 'em on the forum to tell their horror stories. Easier than me going to Idaho. Anyway, what would that do? Did they get attacked by evil giant Canadian wolves that they fought off with sticks, and their kids told your kid about it? Could be interesting but I am willing and able to be you taxi cab if you want the actual facts that are not published,which I doubt.

I feel it my obligation to back up what I say.. You've never "backed up" anything I've asked you about. You don't answer questions. I am game..Are you?Then again,you said you were a member of this forum I am a member of this forum. and was invited to post your troubled mind there Troubled mind? What am I troubled about? Or just another insult? ,but it hasn't happened and I doubt it ever will....But your more than welcome if you want links and to discuss it out in the open without ruining a Elk hunting forum Why would you ruin an elk hunting forum? You gonna get real rough with me, big guy? What makes you think I can't hold my own in a rougher atmosphere? Like I've said, you know nothing of me. ...Kinda like the old days...Take it outside.

Of course, you won't answer any of my questions, or reply civily to my post. You will simply make up some more stuff, or go away exasperated.

You be careful out there.

There are many copies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (35, 444Matt, Anaconda, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 8 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.