Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Her is a link to a young girl using shooting sticks. Thank GOD the rifle didn't have a scope on it. I couldn't watch it a second time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw-SJLjUzMQ

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Primos Trigger Sticks tripod, seated height. Very light, stable, easy to deploy. I’ve killed two elk off them, both in excess of 300 yards.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MM879
Her is a link to a young girl using shooting sticks. Thank GOD the rifle didn't have a scope on it. I couldn't watch it a second time.

Shooting sticks did NOT cause that.

LACK of familiarity & practice using them caused that.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep, my kid is not shooting a .458, lol. The light weight 308 does have some jump tho. Will be doing some practice with .22 and .243, probably a .223 as well.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by MM879

Shooting sticks did NOT cause that.

LACK of familiarity & practice using them caused that.

Jerry

what was caused...….bob

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think that pretty young lady handled that .458 Win Mag just fine.

The watermelon didn't fare too well, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trekking/ski poles make a very handy set of shooting sticks by looping the straps over the opposite pole. I used to do a lot of XC skiing for fox and coyotes but have moved to the SW.

Regular shooting sticks from aluminum or fiberglass tent poles. I use them a lot coyote hunting and as I've gotten older and no longer sit on the ground but use a three legged stool I've had to add an extension to them.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have used 3 different types.

A single pole that adjusts with "clips." This was kinda cumbersome for walking around unless you were in a blind and had it set.

A Primos Trigger Stick, single pole. Much easier and faster to use than the one mentioned above. But, not much more than a walking stick with a spot to rest your rifle. Pretty wobbly if shooting at any distance.

Last, is a Bog-pod, tripod set up. Also has the adjustable "clips" to lengthen or shorten the legs. But, MUCH more stable and almost the same weight as the Trigger Stick.

Primos does have a "trigger" bi-pod and tri-pod but I haven't used or even tested one.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
Bamboo lashed together with paracord. Read another fella used a vacuum drive belt, which sounds even better.

That does sound like a good idea

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if yer a vacuum cleaner salesman.....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should probably hold out for titanium, I mean we are talking about 2 sticks to support a rifle.

I’ve lost count of how many sets I have, probably in the billions. I keep them scattered in the woods....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The guys who guide for oryx over on White Sands seem to prefer Trigger Sticks in the tripod configuration. They are quick to set up and are more stable than single or double versions.

I have been hunting with a Bog Pod tripod for several years, now, and it works fine for my kind of hunting. I set the length and lock the legs. It's not all that much slower than the Trigger Stick to deploy and it's noticeably more stable--especially for shooting from a standing position.

YMMV

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Google "Wiser Precision quick-stix" and you'll thank me later.

Converts any set of inexpensive, collapsible trekking poles to shooting sticks in seconds. I used them for the first time this year and was awestruck at their awesomeness. We used them on three different bulls to perfection.

Dave

Last edited by iddave; 12/20/19.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If considering going the trekking pole route, you might want to check out a product called TrekBalls.

https://trekballscom.gator.site/?fb...H1JhihW1BsRhHdN3gWEWkwF4rQQ8U7LKn1npj06w

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have used the adjustable tripod sticks with great success. The Primos brand is what I use and I like them for their trigger adjustment lever which allows me to raise and lower to meet the required height without removing my rifle from the saddle.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018527333

What OSU said. I used accrued Cabela's points to get a Primos "trigger stick" tripod and have been extremely pleased with it. Because its legs contract it's relatively light, compact, and easy to carry in the field. It's best feature is, however, the fact that it can be smoothly adjusted with one hand without taking your eye from your scope. I highly recommend.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 16bore
Should probably hold out for titanium, I mean we are talking about 2 sticks to support a rifle.

I’ve lost count of how many sets I have, probably in the billions. I keep them scattered in the woods....

I found some in SD this fall. Clearly have been there a while. Yours?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If it doesn’t have to be very compact the field pod is incredibly stable and my teen son and I have used them for shots in excess of 500 yards from seated or kneeling positions. As stable as a bench if you have time to set it up properly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.