Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
scott63 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'm pretty new to collecting 99's, so maybe I'm missing something special about this rifle.
I thought it was a late model F that while it would be a nice hunting rifle it is not rare by a long shot. If the caliber was .284/.358/22-250 I could see it going for this price.
So is this a case of someone really wanting THAT rifle or is there something I'm missing? Thanks for any info....Scott
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=71663354

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I say he just got tired of looking and waiting. Hang in there. smile

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got me! I have one I would sell for for $100 less. grin

Mike

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I posted a post mill F in .308 Winchester( circa 1962 ) on this site a year ago for $550 and no one wanted it .... it was in 98% condtion ( or better ) with the hand checkered walnut stocks , brass rotor , and no sling studs ...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One virtually identical to that went for $560 a week or two ago...on Auction Arms, I think. Go figure.

Don

Don in Maine
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The right cal.,and the right day......I would'nt even want that one,for many reasons.For example;look at the wood to metal fit.That would do it for me.Look at some earlier unmuckedwith 99's.When your done with one of those ....someone will want it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What Mike? Did you say that you were gonna sell me one for $100.00?

Thanks Man,

Mike.... grin grin grin

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I Sold For 750 With Scope 2 Years ago 90% And Just Sold a C in 308 With Scope Prestine for 780.00 2 Weeks Ago.
So 800 Plus For 90% Is the Going Rate Latley!

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In 100% condition, it would still be junk!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
you're not missing anything, its an auction. Someone gets a computer, logs in to an auction site, sees something he wants that he hasn't been able to find, figures its the last one on Earth and decides he is GOING to get it.
Its Hell being a "newbie" at auctions. Go to Ebay and look up #180114485322, sorry I don't know how to post links, and look at how that poor chump got sucked in. He could get the same sight from Midsouth for less than the opening bid, and shipping is probably less. Look at the bid history and you'll see the worst part, I've never seen anything that bad. And you know what, he's probably sitting at home, happy as a clam, oblivious to the whole situation. The only problem is, people like him make life more expensive for the rest of us, although its nice having them around when you're selling something.

Tim

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
In 100% condition, it would still be junk!

Steve
Every-Body has An Opinion and Entitled to That.
My Opinion On Post Mills or Premills,,,There Both Good Guns,,They Both Have Value,,,And a 100% N.I.B or N.O.B.
How Many Come Along????? And What Might Be Junk to You Is Not To Some One Elese.
JMO
Stever

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I realize everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think when you apply an objective comparison - post-mils vs. premils - you will find significant differences in quality of workmanship and quality of materials. It is this difference that to me, is like the difference between night vs day, or junk vs. something to admire and be proud of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve

Yes Your Right,,,,How Ever Comprassion Wise??? I Have to Disagree.
Your Taking A Cadilac and Comparing it to A Chevy! J.M.O.

You Have to Take the Gun For What It Is,,,,Premil Savage against Premill Winnie or Marlin.
Post Mil Savage against Post Mill Winniw,Marlin. Thats Where a Good Comparision would Be.
Stever

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Confused,

you piqued my interest with the auction for a Lyman #2 tang sight.

I didn't find any Lyman tang sights at Midsouth.

After searching around the internet for that sight, I found it new at the Lyman Site selling for about $90.- including shipping.

So in retrospect, the opening bid of $65.- was actually quite reasonable.

While we're talking post-mils, anybody see anything like a late minty 250 Sav. up for grabs lately?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 1899sav
Steve

Yes Your Right,,,,How Ever Comprassion Wise??? I Have to Disagree.
Your Taking A Cadilac and Comparing it to A Chevy! J.M.O.

You Have to Take the Gun For What It Is,,,,Premil Savage against Premill Winnie or Marlin.
Post Mil Savage against Post Mill Winniw,Marlin. Thats Where a Good Comparision would Be.
Stever

Stever - I agree with ya. And you sure don't see me buying post 64 Winnies or the equivalent in Marlins either! At least rarely that is. I have one post-mil Savage - a .284 M99C that is minty and I bought it because the price was right. And while I'm in confessional mode, I do own a Winchester M100 .284 Carbine. Again, top condition and the price was right. They're dust collectors here. Funny to me how despite my view that they are just another piece of "modern crap" they are collector items and have escalated nicely in value.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
olgrouser

I got the price from their latest catalog, its in their websight under rifle accessories or something. Midway is selling them for $75. You're right, $65 is reasonable, but you don't go to an auction to pay retail, and I think shipping was pretty high on that one. I've paid less than that for like-new Lyman 48's, You just have to be patient.

Tim

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Nice gun!
Price seems right for a model F.
Sam

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Amen. The auction goofiness is like piranas feeding. All calm and serene till the first bite, and then all h--- breaks loose. Adams and Bennet used barrels for $175 + shipping? Go figure. Brand new in most any caliber is $108. It's a disease.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It does not look a feeding frenzy to me. Check the Bid listed.
Same guy just bid till he reached the reserve.Maybe he wanted it.boltman Im surprised you would keep that junk crape around after reading
your post. Bet you you could sell them faster and for better
profit than your pre mills.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If he sells them,then he becomes a flipper like me.He'd be better off keeping them and being able to say "he's a "COLLECTOR"
.I was never moved by peer pressure.I'd rather be a shark and deal with my own choices "ALONE", than scatter with the shoal when courage calls.
Man that's beautiful.
I can be retained for a small fee.Love letters(JED???)
Greeting cards...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,564
Posts18,531,718
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.