Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The fact is, real touring, is hard to do. Set your sights to 2-3 day trips, get a bike that can carry enough stuff, and have at it. A dedicated touring bike, is like a dedicated race bike. Works great for the intended purpose, but everything else is a compromise. If you decide to go for it in the future, either get a bigger bike, or make the one you have, work. Keep it fun. It's not a car. You can't carry enough to get by, and when the weather turns to crap, you still have to get home.

GB1

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
'Preciate the advice.

Tarquin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I say let we rip.

I’m not a bike guy. But I have a buddy that takes a month long trip across USA and Canada every year. He’s never happier than when he’s on that bike.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Your experience may be different. I've had sixteen bikes of various sizes over the last fifty years. The most comfortable one and the one I didn't have to make any comfort modifications to was a Victory. With the Gold Wing, I had to redo the seat, put highway pegs on it and put raisers on the handlebars. Even then it was only borderline comfortable for long trips.

Four wheel drivers are not your friend. Riding in the rain is miserable. When young, most of this doesn't matter. You are having an adventure and the discomfort, weather, other lousy drivers and any other negatives are all part of the experience. The older you get, the more the negatives matter. Having said that, touring and long distance on a bike is like nothing else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Anyone here ride a touring motorcycle? Wife and I are toying with the idea of getting one and traveling on it. Just nor sure its really "all that". I rode when I was younger (dirt bikes mostly). Just not sure if its worth it to buy a touring bike and ride it. Is it really that much fun?

You have to love being outside... in every kind of weather...
I prefer the Roadglide.
Harley seats are crap. Be prepared to spend serious money on a real seat.
When your bum is happy...your happy.
Tooling around with mumma on the back is some of the best times I.ve had.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now 76 years old, over 4 days in June I rode this bike 1485 miles from Gig Harbor, Wa to Venice, Ca, mostly along the Oregon and California coast route.

This a Bonneville-sized bike, not a big touring model, and not really built for days in the saddle. I'm no longer up to the task of carrying a passenger, but still want to ride as long as I'm able.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Rent before you buy!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Describe “touring.”

For on road and off road, the Honda Africa Twin is exceptional.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I suggest you rent for two days before purchase.
Lay a Gold Wing on it's side and pick it up.(953 lbs)
If you can fine if not rethink it.
Try to put it on the centerstand without help.
I owned one for 2 years, put 25,000 miles on it.
Now I have a Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson. I like it better, 200 lbs lighter. I am 65 years old and plan on riding the wheels off it this summer.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by pal
Now 76 years old, over 4 days in June I rode this bike 1485 miles from Gig Harbor, Wa to Venice, Ca, mostly along the Oregon and California coast route.

This a Bonneville-sized bike, not a big touring model, and not really built for days in the saddle. I'm no longer up to the task of carrying a passenger, but still want to ride as long as I'm able.

I owned a similar bike, (2002 Hinckley Bonneville) for 9 years and had a great time with it. They're styled after the Brit bikes of the late 60s but everything about them was different. Mine was stone ax dependable the entire time I owed it.

Somewhere along the way motorcycles started to take on track bike ergonomics and the styling of the old standards fell by the wayside.

At the same time that I owned the Bonneville, I also owned a Ducati 900SS.A 200 mile ride on the Ducati was about all the fun I could stand. But I could stay on the Bonneville all day.

The Ducati soon went on to another owner.

I had owned a few 60s era Brit bikes, but keeping them on the road was far more trouble than they were worth. When the new Bonnievilles were introduced, they were the Brit bike that I had always wanted.

I put a lot of miles and had a lot of fun on the Bonneville. It was the only bike I wanted for a long time.

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by pal

I owned a similar bike, (2002 Hinckley Bonneville) for 9 years and had a great time with it. They're styled after the Brit bikes of the late 60s but everything about them was different...

This bike is a 2000 Kawasaki W650, a Bonneville redux that evolved from Kawasaki actually licensing the drawings from BSA. Numerous advancements were made, including bevel gear/shaft-driven overhead cam, 4-valves/cylinder, etc. I found this one with only 2300 miles on it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love riding my motorcycle. I love "touring". However, even for those of us who have been riding forever, it is work. I love it. It's fun. It is work. Also keep in mind that big old heavy weight 1500s and 1800s aren't the only appropriate bikes for touring. Plenty of touring is done on 650s and below. If two-up is your goal, bigger is better. Anyway, if you are new to it, buy a smaller bike and ride it for several months. Take it to work and back. Ride the local highways. Head over to the town 20 miles away and back. You will learn really quick whether it is something you really want to do. If you decide it is not, no big deal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 14idaho, 16penny, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.