Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
A small property with a mobile home in good shape has come up for sale.

Literally within walking distance is Allegheny National Forest and 3 miles up the road is Game lands. Close to 80000 acres of public land to hunt.

5 miles away is a State part with a lake for fishing, kayaking, archery shoots and snowmobiling.

1 mile down the road is an ATV traill system on ANF.

4miles away is a nice restaurant/bar and not far from that is a river..

Another 7 miles up the road are some great hiking, cross country skiing trails.

By now you know we are thinking of buying this place and making it a rental. Seems like a no brainer investment to me. Airbnb or daily weekly to outdoor enthusiasts.

I have never done anything like this so what should I consider?

Hunt...
GB1

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Strange question on the deer hunting page I know. Obviously my niche would be pointing hunters in the right direction for deer. No so much guided but as a little assistance if needed.

Hunt...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How far is it from home? Will you be able to use it a lot? Will you or your wife freak out if you show up and the place is a mess?

My wife and I had a rental property. Renters are sometimes not very respectful of your property. If you go on the honor system and let renters clean it themselves you may get complaints from the next renters. Or someone may break or steal something and you'll never know who did it. If you don't live close enough to keep an eye on things yourself you need someone else to do it for you. A cleaning person may do that for you. Also, if something breaks during a rental and you can't get there you'll need a trustworthy handyman that can take care of basic repairs for you.

Just a few things to consider...….. Good Luck with it!

Last edited by Bill_N; 12/20/19.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Bill, I guess that is a piece of critical information I left out. This property and trailer literally touches my land. I can walk across the field to it in 2 minutes.

Hunt...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Then I'd buy it just to prevent the possibilities of...…...

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
What WTM45 said....no brainer

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you can afford to own it without rental income go for it. Any rental income would be a bonus

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bill_N
If you can afford to own it without rental income go for it. Any rental income would be a bonus

I would recommend the same, look into rents for similar properties in the area if possible. Mobile home tenants have not had the greatest track record for us even when we did significant background checks.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Check the other AirBnB rentals in the area to see how many and what they rent for. If there are none or few, I would say you are golden!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Taxes, property , and liability insurance for starters . What’s the current condition of the property? Will you manage the rental ? Figure at least 10% off the top if hiring a firm. How much money does it need to habitable ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Anyone who would rent a trailer will more than likely tear it up, quit paying rent, Be hell to get out of the trailer and be a pain in the ass. If you rent it, you can’t use it.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
This^

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by hanco
Anyone who would rent a trailer will more than likely tear it up,

Really? I rent one for 10 days during WI gun season and never once thought of tearing it up.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After seeing the type of people that rented the various properties on my road, I'd be very hesitant. Yikes! The further out of town you are the worst it gets.

One place up the road from me:

1) A really nice quiet guy who just suddenly skipped.
2) A family with the husband recently out of prison. He got hooked on Oxy's and then went off on his wife one night-- beat her badly. When she tried to escape with the children, he shot the wheels of his own vehicle to keep her from leaving. He did an 8-stretch on that one. The teenage daughter later made national news running away with a middle-aged man she met on the internet.
3) A quiet couple whose marriage failed. I think there was DV action before it was over
4) Then the property sold to a family of miscreants-- a grandma/grandpa with 14 small children that they were watching while various sons and daughters were in prison. They were all on welfare. The kids broke into my place and other to steal canned goods, because they were hungry.
5) After grandpa and grandma died, the new owner had a renter in that killed all the local deer and sold the venison. He then proceeded to completely trash the place so that it took 2 years to clean it out and fix it up.

Your best bet is to buy the property, and sell the trailer. That's what another neighbor of mine did when the hell-hole up the road came up for sale.

Other rental properties in the neighborhood?

Lessee, I can remember a meth lab, a heroin addict, and a murder/suicide all in the past year or so. See what I mean?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you have power and septic,

Buy the land. Sell the house trailer and put in a couple RV slabs.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Anyone who would rent a trailer will more than likely tear it up, quit paying rent, Be hell to get out of the trailer and be a pain in the ass. If you rent it, you can’t use it.

I wouldn't think Hunters/hikers etc.. would be any problem,
someone renting as a permanent residence is another story

buy it if you can afford it,just to keep some other undesirables out of your area.

Last edited by rong; 12/22/19.
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah guess that was my bad in the original post. Not as a permanent rental but a daily weekly type of thing for people visiting the area for outdoor recreation.

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That might actually work.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

IMO, that's the best low risk set up.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

I like this idea.

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.