-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks like the good senator from Arizona doesn't like to be questioned over his positions

From the Washington Post Paul Kane reporting:

Posted at 7:01 PM ET, 05/18/2007
McCain, Cornyn Engage in Heated Exchange

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) hasn't spent much time in the Capitol this year as he seeks the GOP presidential nomination. But one of his rare appearances this week provided a pretty salty exchange with a fellow Republican.

During a meeting Thursday on immigration legislation, McCain and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) got into a shouting match when Cornyn started voicing concerns about the number of judicial appeals that illegal immigrants could receive, according to multiple sources -- both Democrats and Republicans -- who heard firsthand accounts of the exchange from lawmakers who were in the room.

At a bipartisan gathering in an ornate meeting room just off the Senate floor, McCain complained that Cornyn was raising petty objections to a compromise plan being worked out between Senate Republicans and Democrats and the White House. He used a curse word associated with chickens and accused Cornyn of raising the issue just to torpedo a deal.

Things got really heated when Cornyn accused McCain of being too busy campaigning for president to take part in the negotiations, which have gone on for months behind closed doors. "Wait a second here," Cornyn said to McCain. "I've been sitting in here for all of these negotiations and you just parachute in here on the last day. You're out of line."

McCain, a former Navy pilot, then used language more accustomed to sailors (not to mention the current vice president, who made news a few years back after a verbal encounter with Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont).

"[Expletive] you! I know more about this than anyone else in the room," shouted McCain at Cornyn. McCain helped craft a bill in 2006 that passed the Senate but couldn't be compromised with a House bill that was much tougher on illegal immigrants.

Cornyn's office declined to comment on the incident. McCain's camp specifically denied that the senator ever claimed to know more about the immigration issue than other senators, but acknowledged that the two Republicans had quite a disagreement.

"These negotiations can be very tense, and there was a spirited exchange. That's it," said Brian Jones, spokesman for McCain's presidential campaign.

McCain's aides have acknowledged that the senator hasn't been as active in the Senate this year as he's been out campaigning. As Capitol Briefing noted Thursday, McCain hasn't cast a vote in more than five weeks now.

But Jones said McCain's staff has been deeply involved in the immigration talks.

Ultimately, a deal was crafted and, as McCain suspected, Cornyn did not join in on the final agreement.

By early Thursday afternoon, McCain joined nine other senators and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez at a Capitol press conference announcing the deal.

After making a few comments, McCain left the Capitol to head to New York for presidential campaign events. Later that day, McCain missed his 43rd straight vote, this on the $2.9 trillion budget outline.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 05/18/07.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He's a dipshit......

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WHOooooo,...bleeped.

Sorry.......he's a nether orfice.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
So ?????????????????

is there a point here?

Piper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can see McCain getting frustrated while talking with democrats.
It's like talking to a cardboard box, and waiting for an intelligent reply.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by watch4bear

I can see Cornyn (a Republican) being frustrated with a neo-con plan...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McCain turned on his party on the Supreme court issues, but now he has joined with Bush to betray his country.
He might have been a warrior once, but he sold his honor for a position he will never get.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Some of these guys like McCain have been in Washington so long that they are consumed with the negotiations to the point where the content is not as imortant to them as making the deal.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
McCain is wasting chair space in any future debates - - - his chance of getting the Rep nomination went from slim to zilch after his role in this bill. - - Oh McCain cares about the content of this bill. He put in McCain-Feingold to squash free speech before elections and he is supporting this bill too and knows exactly what it'll do to further lock in the power positions of the political 'elites'. - - -
Reasons to really take a look at something when debating it with someone - -
1. - - They tell you not to 'waste time' on all the details. "Don't worry about that - it'll all be worked out later."
2. - - Someone attacks you personally for your position calling you a 'racist', 'paranoid', etc.
3. - - Someone getting angry and emotional in order to divert attention from the actual arguments.
4. - - Someone trying to ram something through when you haven't had a chance to really look it over and then trying to rush it through with as little debate as possible.

Last edited by Pointshoot; 05/18/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Democrats had their Daschles and the Republicans have McCains It's a toss up except the people of South Dakota took care of their end of the problem.....The folks of Arizona need to be watching closer!

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The Democrats had their Daschles and the Republicans have McCains It's a toss up except the people of South Dakota took care of their end of the problem.....The folks of Arizona need to be watching closer!
Oh, we are watching all right. The carpetbagger ran in a protected district, he has NEVER had effective competition, and it is rigged that nobody has the money to challenge him in the primaries. Don't assume he is well like in arizona.
Most of us wish he would go back to virginia.
the idiot, I call him the manchurian candidate.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
McCain is quickly becoming one of the best democrats in the country. He needs to complete the transition. I think he would be a good running mate for Billary!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While I don't agree with McCain on this issue and the war, he's nobody's bitch, he's got his own positions on things and ain't afeared of voicing his opinion. Kinda refreshing from a politician in a 2007 country that used to be America.

Mule
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Muleskinner
While I don't agree with McCain on this issue and the war, he's nobody's bitch.....

He is pwn3d by the mainstream media, but he thinks it's the other way 'round.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by watch4bear

Dude, Cornyn is one of the few remaining CONSERVATIVES in the Senate. He's a Republican, and he is AGAINST the amnesty bill. Unlike McCain, Chambliss, and (in fact) "W".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
McCain is frickin' worthless and always has been. Look at his voting record and everything he stands for. You might as well vote for Teddy.

Last edited by Ethan Edwards; 05/19/07.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
McCain has never recovered from being broken by the North Vietnamese while in captivity. I believe he has been unable to come to grips with spilling his guts while his fellow POW's were able to withstand the same torture. They may have inflicted mental and emotional damage that he has been unable to overcome.

Your right to live in a free society should be based solely on your willingness to defend it! Retired Military Vietnam Vet.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He might have been a warrior once

Very briefly.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Where is Preston Brooks when you need him?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 34 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,872
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.