-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good deal Scott. Next year will seem sweeter now. My Dad died in '83 but he is with me on every hunt.

Woody

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff you two!!!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
Great stuff you two!!!

I have never seen a better one-two punch when putting down whitetails.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats to your dad and thanks for the pictures and story enjoyed them.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane

I managed to glass a good one the eve before the season but it’d be at least 4, maybe 5 days for the right wind to make a play on him and dad wasn’t having any of that. laugh

His game plan was simple – if he was lucky enough to see a 4.5 y/o it’d be considered bird-in-hand – regardless of head gear or his either/or tag would go on a yearling doe toward the end of the season.

The first morning was rather uneventful with a couple of young bucks spotted. With a mid-day wind shift to the south, our options get a bit more limited so we opted to watch the back of a bedding area from across the river. As we approached the steep bank of the river’s treeline via field, I cautioned dad we’d best keep noise to a minimum as deer like to lay in the 20 yards of brush and timber on our side too. I’d no more spoke those words when a 3.5 y/o 10pt broke from the cover and into the river. Dad could see the buck and whispered “too small” but he couldn’t see the other buck I was looking at also standing in the river. I could hear another deer stirring below the bank and knew from both bucks’ mannerisms and failure to exit stage-right that it was likely a doe that was smelling about right. “Another buck I whispered – it’s your 4.5 y/o – shoot”. A large tree shielded dad’s view of the deer and he finally got to put eyes on him when he followed the doe scrambling across the river. “Too much brush in the way – can’t shoot”.

We stood at the treeline and watched both bucks on the other side of the meadow finally melt into the bedding area – seemingly unphased at what had just transpired. I mentioned to dad that if he wanted that buck, we could slowly get him into position on the edge of the river and I’d break out the horns and create war hidden from view in a shallow depression behind him.

“Yep, we’re sticking to my original bird-in-hand plan – let’s do it”.

I wouldn’t get to see the bulk of the action but I’d be able to see dad. I wasn’t 30 seconds into my commotion when dad gave a circular motion with his hand to keep it up. Soon I could see a set of antlers dancing above the grass on the other side, then another set that seemed to be a twin to the first. Then yet ANOTHER 20” wide 3.5 y/o and I said a prayer that he’d get a pass. Soon all three bucks were focused on my position, oblivious to dad, and when I saw a fourth set of antlers coming to the bank, I braced myself for the rifle’s report. His 7600/6.5 Creedmoor spoke, followed by the familiar “puck” and dad had his deer.

I quietly made my way to dad and we both stood there chuckling over what had just transpired.

Fortunately, some time back the ranch owner showed me a few trick moves in getting a vehicle back to that locale from the other side so I got to stay out of the river for retrieval.

The sun was fading fast when we finally got to the deer so we managed a few photos and took care of the field dressing duties.

Penitentiary face (*grins*) and his deer:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So now the focus turned to yearling does. And they were seemingly harder to come by than something with antlers. Countless does with fawns (that we refuse to target) seen and what seemed to be an above normal amount of small does (yearlings) with single fawns.

Dad managed a doe one morning with a special rifle that I had in my possession for the season. Some of you will recognize the BobinNH commemorative .270 on loan from battue. I got to use it for our WI deer season and it seemed fitting to bloody it in KS where Bob, dad and I shared a hunt together – before I pass along on to another member (thank you battue - your rock, my friend).

The coyotes also caught some hell on this trip. And in my pursuit of them around the outskirts of the ranch, walked up on next year’s hope, totally oblivious to my presence. OK, all the stuff I said earlier about the shine not being off the apple sans tag - now I really wished I had my buck tag. laugh laugh

It's quite refreshing to hunt a place like this in a manner that's unlike the way most whitetail hunting is today - it's a working cattle ranch with no deer feeders, cameras or specialized food plots. It makes each year unique and we're never quite sure what we're in for - other than a great experience and seeing good (and uber-accommodating) friends. And a lot of Casey's breakfast pizza. blush

##

I know some of you have had the opportunity to hunt with Scott over the years in other locales and would probably readily agree that it usually doesn't always turn out to be a 'typical or classic' type of hunt-- where the game shows up 75yds from the stand and a broadside shot is presented. That just doesn't seem to ever happen. There is always some abnormality like FOUR bucks showing up all at once to get your blood boiling.You just can't make this chit up!
crazy

Last edited by Whelen Nut; 12/22/19. Reason: added info

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Skane. South central sounds like where my Granddaughter and Grandson hunt on their home place, but I'd guess you're further west.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I know that face from somewhere...… Good to hear you got a good one Whelen Nut! And a 6.5 what? No 358? Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Hey Rusty, thanks! The big bores are reserved for the big woods. I like the 6.5 and 270 for the wide-open spaces. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tzone
Great hunt. Congrats to Paul! I’m glad he scored. I hope you both get another trip next year to find that monster in the pic!

Thanks, Tom. I hope Scott gets his eyes on him again next year with his 6.5 in hand.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Slap On The Back for Both of Ya.
Always enjoy the pix & story of your hunts.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great report - congrats on the buck and spending some quality time together!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a great buck !! Conglads. Are you planning on coming back to Vanzant? Bob

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Originally Posted by tzone
Great hunt. Congrats to Paul! I’m glad he scored. I hope you both get another trip next year to find that monster in the pic!

Thanks, Tom. I hope Scott gets his eyes on him again next year with his 6.5 in hand.

I hope you do! laugh

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Always a great story from your annual Kansas deer hunts. How did you Dad find a Remington 7600 in 6.5 Creed? A special Run?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wayne, Scott got to show off his dragging skills with the doe. I'm of absolutely no help to him with that anymore. I had trouble just trying to keep up with him while dragging it to the truck. smirk

You guys are building some great memories! Congratulations.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good stuff Skane...another great buck for you and pops and more treasured memories, thanks for including "The Bob" ....nice picks too!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well told...I, too, look forward to your reports...never disappoint!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great hunt for the father & son, again!

Next year that big buck is going to be a 24hourcampfire STAR!

Thanks for the excellent write up Scott...........congratulations to your father on the beauty of a buck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
That's a great buck !! Conglads. Are you planning on coming back to Vanzant? Bob

Bob..it all depends on which week I draw for my WI turkey tag. Spring turkey is a priority, here. crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Always a great story from your annual Kansas deer hunts. How did you Dad find a Remington 7600 in 6.5 Creed? A special Run?

Doc, Nathan at Hillbilly Rifles created it for me. It is now my favorite/go-to deer rifle for the wide-open places. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by colorado bob

Bob..it all depends on which week I draw for my WI turkey tag. Spring turkey is a priority, here. crazy

LOVE spring turkey! Possibly my favorite hunt.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (Akhutr, 406_SBC, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.