Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have some regrets, most are to personal for here. That said, I do regret not hunting more when I was younger. That would be my advise for younger people, Don't let things in life get in the way of things you like to do. The old men in nursing homes never say " Gee, I wish I could of worked more overtime" Get out and do stuff and you will have no regrets later.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by rockchucker
we regret not having children. i will die an old lonely man unfortunately

I know a few folks that regret NOT following your path. Have a buddy now who's life would've been much better off without his son. Drugs, jail, the lawyers and emotional/financial stress caused the loss of his wife and his home also.

There are fates worse than death.
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Having children is NO guarantee one will not die alone. In fact, dying alone is one of those things you can only do alone.

I'd not want my kids hanging around, waiting for my last breath. You raise them to go forth to enjoy THEIR lives and do good things. THEIR lives is key.

People that have kids because they won't be ALONE in the end is a fools game.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by EIB0879
I can't change the past so regrets really don't enter into my life. You make your choices in life so live with them.

You can change the past. It changes all the time. Sure you can't change events, but you can change perception and how you deal with future like events.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I let this one get away, but like a good Lab retriever she came back after a bit. So life is good.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you live long enough you're going to have a long line of things behind you that you would have done differently with the hind sight of a senior citizen.

There's no reason for them to become regrets.

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If you live long enough you're going to have a long line of things behind you that you would have done differently with the hind sight of a senior citizen.

There's no reason for them to become regrets.

Roger that.
Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RGK
I let this one get away, but like a good Lab retriever she came back after a bit. So life is good.
Bob

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wish I had more guns but I can always fix that problem.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by rockchucker
we regret not having children. i will die an old lonely man unfortunately

I know a few folks that regret NOT following your path. Have a buddy now who's life would've been much better off without his son. Drugs, jail, the lawyers and emotional/financial stress caused the loss of his wife and his home also.

There are fates worse than death.
-Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Having children is NO guarantee one will not die alone. In fact, dying alone is one of those things you can only do alone.

I'd not want my kids hanging around, waiting for my last breath. You raise them to go forth to enjoy THEIR lives and do good things. THEIR lives is key.

People that have kids because they won't be ALONE in the end is a fools game.

THIS is spot on.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Tarbe
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I will never cease to regret that I did not climb out from under that car and meet her three years earlier.

Seems to me you made the right call! Considering how it all worked out.

Nah, she spent three years as a single mother, struggling to care for her daughter all by herself, when I could have been helping her along. The idiot who knocked her up when she was twenty split town as soon as he found out she was pregnant.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco: I had to think hard to come up with a regret of any kind.
The only thing that comes close is I do sort of wish I had retired from my police career at age 46 (25 years service) instead of going for the more lucrative retirement with 30 years service.
I broke my leg/knee in my 29th year and that, on duty injury, causes me to receive a duty related medical pension that "sadly" is TAX FREE and based on 29 years service!
I would rather have a natural knee instead of this titanium one and would gladly pay the income taxes were that to be possible - but its not, so C'est la vie!
Living with no regrets (clear conscience!) is a good and low stress thing - I am blessed.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bristoe: I disagree - I have lived a long time (72+ years!) and there is NO "line" of things following me that I wish I'd done differently.
Making good, sound, conscientious decisions all one's adult life is NOT hard to do.
If I can do it, anyone can who has a mind to, can do it.
Some people just carry a mentality where they ignore the fact that "bad decisions" (immature, self destructive, criminal etc etc etc) won't create troubles for them - and they go on to "make mistakes" that can, and often will, haunt and or cause troubles for them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My only regrets are not marrying my high school girl friend and not serving in the military. She was a great girl who loved me but at that time I was just on a different wave length. I have always be a bit ashamed I never served.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
My only regrets are not marrying my high school girl friend and not serving in the military. She was a great girl who loved me but at that time I was just on a different wave length. I have always be a bit ashamed I never served.

No reason to feel ashamed.

Shame should come from saying 'I support the troops' whilst pulling the lever for Hillary and her ilk.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

No reason to feel ashamed.

Shame should come from saying 'I support the troops' whilst pulling the lever for Hillary and her ilk.

Roger that, coming from someone who did more than one tour.
Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SS336
I have some regrets, most are to personal for here. That said, I do regret not hunting more when I was younger. That would be my advise for younger people, Don't let things in life get in the way of things you like to do. The old men in nursing homes never say " Gee, I wish I could of worked more overtime" Get out and do stuff and you will have no regrets later.

reminds me of an autographed book in my collection by Jack Atcheson: "Hunt, fish and travel all you can NOW" dated Aug 14, 1997

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had a few opportunities when I was in my late 20's thru to my 40's to start up business where others would fund the start up. Lack the confidence to take the step. Fast forward work in very well paying careers, retire, get bored and start up a business that is successful. Now the regret not taking one of the opportunities back then, but would my family and personal life be as good?

Hugh
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
My Grandfather John has this one regret I know of. When he passed, he was old grizzled rancher and farmer that worked hard all his life to care for his family.. I respected him immensely. I loved that old man. But as a youth he was apparently quite the ladies man. Very dapper. Born in "Ought 1" (1901) in the OK territory he had some interesting times, I'm sure. The thing he regretted was this.

Seems there was a dance. Being the guy all the girls wanted to be with, he got it in his head to ask a certain girl to the dance, her having a boyfriend my Grandfather did not like. So as to poke him in the eye. Well she said yes and went to the dance with my Grandfather instead of her boyfriend.

Back in those days (around 1918 or so) folks of course slept with their doors unlocked and windows open for cool night air. Well, this jilted boy was the jealous type. He walked up to her open window in the middle of the night and blasted her with a shotgun as she slept near the window. They hung the boy within the week.

He never told me this story. It came to me from my mom and others. I don't doubt it's true. A girl died and boy was hung. All cause my Grandfather asked her to a dance. Not exactly his fault at all, but he carried it as a heavy burden his entire life and to his grave.

Oh schidt!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
A close friend came over one night. His wife (who was my wife's BFF) was divorcing him. We had a few beers in my garage and he was asking my advice on what to do. I told him to make sure he takes care of his 2 young children foremost, stay in their life, but you need to move on from Susie. "Lot of fish in the ocean" type advice.

He went home and the next morning unloaded a 357 into her while she slept in bed. Reloaded the revolver and shot himself in the head.

His young boy frantically called me after he'd unscrewed the master bedroom doorknob that morning. Not good.

I wish I could've talked him out of this.

That's terrible

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a friend I worked with. He was typical broke all the time collage student. Knew how to have a good time, but seemed to have things together in life. Had no clue he was into serious drugs.

Anyways his family lived about 75 miles from the city we lived in. He never had a car so he did not visit them often. He finally saved up cash for a car. First weekend he had off we was going to visit his family. He was short on cash asked me for 50 bucks which I gave him. He did go to his hometown.Family never seen him though. He was found next morning in a dopehouse ODed on heroin. I tell myself he would of found some way to get the drugs. But every now and then I get hit with this thought, that maybe he would still be here if I did not give him the 50 bucks. The last thing I said to him was don't do anything stupid.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (426crown, 222ND, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 24 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,760
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.