Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It prolly means he hunts trophy quality girls for sport,

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll bet u r right!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe the screen name should have been milfhunter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

At least some of POA's loading data for the 257AI is very hot, far exceeding any currently recommended loads. I remember a member claiming 257 BEE performance from a 257AI with loads that he got from data that Ackley published. IIRC, he hadn't run any of the loads over a chronograph, so he really didn't know what they were doing, but because POA said so, it was so, at least in his mind.

I had a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts awhile back, around 2003 or 2004. I understand that the guy who I sold it to had it rechambered to 25-06 in order to eliminate or reduce the freebore jump to the rifling that it came with.

Never looked and compared the Bob, data, but the POA published load data for the .250 is close to what Sierra listed on their # 5 load manual at least for the 100 grain bullet. For that 100 gr bullet, I believe they are within .5 grain for 4064 close to that for the 4350 powder as well.

For me, my M99 250 AI shows the best results with RL15 and H-380 powders, but both are on the lower side of the AI "improvement" gains. Anything close to the mid-higher range in speed/powder as shown in the Sierra book and I start cratering primers and having lever opening issues. I might try revisiting the 4064 powder again.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
260 - join the club...it happens, we experiment, learn, and settle down with less fuss! Lol.

JB, agreed, as usual. Tinkering is fun no doubt for those who have the time and inclination.......something that seems to wane as I age. Run a few wildcats.......when I was younger. They work as well or better today than ever with newer powders, as most all no doubt.

So earlier, I mentioned the 25-06 'big brother' being commercialized...as in common rifles and ammo in 6.5-06. Not that it's needed, but long ago it sure seemed intriguing to many. Now speaking of Norwegian heritage, I have a good friend who lives in Oslo. The 6.5x55 has served Scandinavia quite well over the years........and there there's always the 9.3s, if one wants to go larger.

Good stuff, as usual when a thread starts about 25s.....especially in these nice rifles like above. Agree about the above comment - "If I go Stainless/Synthetic" pass on the 25s. Thought a 25-06 or Bee would not be overly out of the ordinary in one, for hard field use.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Girl hunter.
The real test of any cartridge is if it lasts 5 years it may survive. Take the wssm, total flop despite being pretty good.
The wsm only one remains fairly popular (300), 1 not too bad(325) an 2 only just holding on (270 and7mm wsm) .
You can send me the donuts any time as I will be well and truly gone in 70 years. Ha ha.
Remember this is supposed to be an information forum with some fun. It would be good to see you lighten up a bit and stop nitpicking and learn from others in regards to my spelling check yours first. Nobody's perfect have fun and enjoy life instead of picking on others.
Any cartridge is good if it does what you want and you are happy with it.
I may be mad using a cartridge that has to be formed and played with to get it to work but that's what rifle loonies do and I enjoy being in that group. I really like the 25s and the old but still hanging on the good ol 35 Whelan

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Girl hunter.
The real test of any cartridge is if it lasts 5 years it may survive. Take the wssm, total flop despite being pretty good.
The wsm only one remains fairly popular (300), 1 not too bad(325) an 2 only just holding on (270 and7mm wsm) .
You can send me the donuts any time as I will be well and truly gone in 70 years. Ha ha.
Remember this is supposed to be an information forum with some fun. It would be good to see you lighten up a bit and stop nitpicking and learn from others in regards to my spelling check yours first. Nobody's perfect have fun and enjoy life instead of picking on others.
I may be mad using a cartridge that has to be formed and played with to get it to work but that's what rifle loonies do and I enjoy being in that group. I really like the 25s and the old but still hanging on the good ol 35 Whelan

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Sako hunter
What a beautiful rifle and great choice of cartridge. You should be commended on your choice. Welcome the the land of 25 cal loonies. Enjoy that rifle mate

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 25epps
Girl hunter.

Disengage with girlhunter. He is a sociopath who just started posting under this new screen name. He is attention starved and chooses to get his attention by being adversarial. There is literally NOTHING to be gained from conversing with him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 25epps
Girl hunter.

Disengage with girlhunter. He is a sociopath who just started posting under this new screen name. He is attention starved and chooses to get his attention by being adversarial. There is literally NOTHING to be gained from conversing with him.

So,who was he/she before he/she became Girlhunter?

Just what we need, another Larry Root with dozens of different handles.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Steelhead.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Steelhead.

Really????

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Look forward to trying mine out in the next few days.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Beautiful rifle, Sakohunter, but I would say that, as my 250AI is about the same, and all sourced here on the 'fire. The M70 compact Classic came from PA., the Pac-nor 9 twist stainless barrel form Georgia, the VXIII 2.5-8 from Alaska, and the dies and 100 new brass from Colorado. Added some Cerakote and a 1/2" Pachmayer pad and it is a lovely rifle to view, carry, and shoot. Enjoy it!

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Well let’s see photos of your 250AI please sir.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
A pic from the auction I bought...

I have one very similar, its my favorite rifle. I really like the Roberts, the only change I would make would be to find a Kimber Montana in the Roberts so I would feel safe hunting in the rain with it. Mine has an old 3-9 Diavari on it, I shoot 117 grain Hornady interlocks now over a lot of H4350, its very accurate, it kills deer as well as anything I have ever owned. If I was to go back to 100 grains bullets I would shoot the TSX again with a much H4350 as I could as it just flattens deer if into the shoulder or neck. Having hunted with a bunch of 277 and 30 caliber guns, killed a whole lot of deer, there is no deer in the south that the Roberts does not kill just as fast if you can shoot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jimmyp

I have one very similar, its my favorite rifle. I really like the Roberts, the only change I would make would be to find a Kimber Montana in the Roberts so I would feel safe hunting in the rain with it. Mine has an old 3-9 Diavari on it, I shoot 117 grain Hornady interlocks now over a lot of H4350, its very accurate, it kills deer as well as anything I have ever owned. If I was to go back to 100 grains bullets I would shoot the TSX again with a much H4350 as I could as it just flattens deer if into the shoulder or neck. Having hunted with a bunch of 277 and 30 caliber guns, killed a whole lot of deer, there is no deer in the south that the Roberts does not kill just as fast if you can shoot.

I've had two 257 Rob Montana's... I really don't want another. I have more stainless/African Walnut rifles than I can use, and bought this for fair weather "gentleman hunts."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Brad
sqweeler, I've seen that photo before... you absolutely got one of the better sticks of wood on a Kimber 257 out there!

Agreed, very appealing wood, just the right amount of figure and beautiful grain and base color!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Well let’s see photos of your 250AI please sir.

I'd love to, but I can't download photos to the image gallery from my Macbook.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Anyone loading heavier bullets in the 110 to 120 grain range in their 250 Savages?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have in the past, mostly 115s and 117s, and while they're theoretically stable in a 1-10 twist, have never gotten the greatest accuracy, compared to 100s in the same rifles.

That said, they've been accurate enough for any big game hunting I've planned to do with a .250--and proved to be in the field.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 47 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,009
Posts18,481,461
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.