Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Trinidad Colorado has a college that has a 2 week NRA gunsmithing class.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GrandView
Rust bluing is probably one of the easiest things for a home gun worker to accomplish with highly successful results. It really only requires patience and attention to detail. Investment is minimal, and required equipment can be purchased or made without prohibitive cost. Bluing small parts and gun furniture (grip caps, buttplates, triggerguards, etc...) can be successfully blued with equipment virtually any kitchen currently contains. The only purchase required in that case is the rust bluing solution, gloves (cotton or latex), and cotton applicators. Caution........some cotton balls are impregnated with stuff which will spread an oily substance when applying solution.

I used Mark Lee's #3. I used a stainless tank for boiling barreled actions with a three burner heat source. I also built a humidity box with a light bulb heating source over a shallow water container. A second light bulb on a rheostat higher in the box to adjust for humidity that may cause condensation. You will certainly have to adjust the humidity box for the area of the country and time of year you are bluing. My free time for bluing mostly happened during winter time in Wisconsin, so I was generating more humidity in the box than would ever be required in other areas of the country.

I degreased with Simple Green cleaner and boiling water. I hand polished to 320 grit.........with backing. After degreasing, the metal parts are never handled without gloves. I also changed gloves frequently.

The very first application of rusting solution can be applied aggressively. It can be rubbed in liberally, but not left excessively wet or dripping. Then the metal is set in the damp box for rusting. You must get a feel for how long rusting is required. Check frequently to see when orange rust is developing. Allowing to rust too long will develop pitting. Better too short than too long. It just may require more rusting sessions. After the rusting session, the metal is suspended in the boiling tank of distilled water. This boiling will convert the orange rust to a black "fur". At the conclusion of boiling, remove the metal part and immediately blow it dry with a hair dryer. Any dripping water has the capability of creating a stain if not blown dry quickly. I carded off the black fur with a fine wire stainless brush (degreased) in my variable steel drill. If you have a bench buffer, so much the better. This first session will invariably look like crap. Don't be discouraged.............it's the first of 7-8 iterations.

The 2nd, and further applications of bluing solution, must be applied with a gentle hand. Float the applicator in overlapping strokes, just leaving a damp covering on the metal. Think in your mind that every successive application will be applied with less pressure, and less solution. Applied bluing solution can remove bluing that is on the metal. Some metals will require more sessions than others, but in 30 years as a hobby, I've not found one that wouldn't ultimately take a good rust blue.

To get a feel for what this procedure entails, blue some small parts. You can boil them in a pan on the kitchen stove, and a temporary damp box can be accomplished by using a plastic container, with vented or cover ajar. Place a small shallow dish of hot water in the corner to provide humidity. You can see the rust developing, and boiling off and carding is pretty simple. It will work. Degrease. Apply solution as described above. Handle only with gloves. Provide some humidity while rusting.......not so much that condensation develops.

Some people have successfully carded with degreased steel wool. I never got comfortable with that method, but know it will work, and a brush wheel is one less thing to purchase.

This^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by GrandView
Rust bluing is probably one of the easiest things for a home gun worker to accomplish with highly successful results. It really only requires patience and attention to detail. Investment is minimal, and required equipment can be purchased or made without prohibitive cost. Bluing small parts and gun furniture (grip caps, buttplates, triggerguards, etc...) can be successfully blued with equipment virtually any kitchen currently contains. The only purchase required in that case is the rust bluing solution, gloves (cotton or latex), and cotton applicators. Caution........some cotton balls are impregnated with stuff which will spread an oily substance when applying solution.

I used Mark Lee's #3. I used a stainless tank for boiling barreled actions with a three burner heat source. I also built a humidity box with a light bulb heating source over a shallow water container. A second light bulb on a rheostat higher in the box to adjust for humidity that may cause condensation. You will certainly have to adjust the humidity box for the area of the country and time of year you are bluing. My free time for bluing mostly happened during winter time in Wisconsin, so I was generating more humidity in the box than would ever be required in other areas of the country.

I degreased with Simple Green cleaner and boiling water. I hand polished to 320 grit.........with backing. After degreasing, the metal parts are never handled without gloves. I also changed gloves frequently.

The very first application of rusting solution can be applied aggressively. It can be rubbed in liberally, but not left excessively wet or dripping. Then the metal is set in the damp box for rusting. You must get a feel for how long rusting is required. Check frequently to see when orange rust is developing. Allowing to rust too long will develop pitting. Better too short than too long. It just may require more rusting sessions. After the rusting session, the metal is suspended in the boiling tank of distilled water. This boiling will convert the orange rust to a black "fur". At the conclusion of boiling, remove the metal part and immediately blow it dry with a hair dryer. Any dripping water has the capability of creating a stain if not blown dry quickly. I carded off the black fur with a fine wire stainless brush (degreased) in my variable steel drill. If you have a bench buffer, so much the better. This first session will invariably look like crap. Don't be discouraged.............it's the first of 7-8 iterations.

The 2nd, and further applications of bluing solution, must be applied with a gentle hand. Float the applicator in overlapping strokes, just leaving a damp covering on the metal. Think in your mind that every successive application will be applied with less pressure, and less solution. Applied bluing solution can remove bluing that is on the metal. Some metals will require more sessions than others, but in 30 years as a hobby, I've not found one that wouldn't ultimately take a good rust blue.

To get a feel for what this procedure entails, blue some small parts. You can boil them in a pan on the kitchen stove, and a temporary damp box can be accomplished by using a plastic container, with vented or cover ajar. Place a small shallow dish of hot water in the corner to provide humidity. You can see the rust developing, and boiling off and carding is pretty simple. It will work. Degrease. Apply solution as described above. Handle only with gloves. Provide some humidity while rusting.......not so much that condensation develops.

Some people have successfully carded with degreased steel wool. I never got comfortable with that method, but know it will work, and a brush wheel is one less thing to purchase.

This^^^^^^

irfubar;
Merry Christmas to you sir, I hope the day's going to be a grand one for you and yours.

Am caffeinating with the good wife, waiting for our local daughter and her husband to show up and our non-local daughter and her partner to get up, so of course am perusing the 'Fire.... wink

It has to be 35 years now that I've been rust bluing - again not a papered smith here, just a semi-serious student of all things that burn powder - well or go twang or air guns...well you know.

For solution I use a mixture we found in a gunsmith book from the '30's and while it works really well - and I have 2 big glass jugs of acid to mix it - it's a little tricky to not gas one's self while mixing. Then too I like to dilute it down so it rusts slower and doesn't pit as GrandView mentioned.

Anyway, GrandView put the SOP down legibly and concisely in my experience - well done sir! cool

Although I'm always saying there's a few roads to Mecca - that's the road I've traveled and firearms that got done that way 3 decades back still look and work fine.

Merry Christmas to you all and all the best in 2020.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Years ago I played with a couple home brew solutions and they did work. Nowdays I just use store bought stuff. Kinda a PITA trying to roll your own, unless you want to just because you can.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I watched my father do cold blue in the bathtub in 1963.

I do it in the sink.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
[quote=Clarkm]I watched my father do cold blue in the bathtub in 1963.

ditto. Only it was in '72 ...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve had great results with laurel mountain solution, a humid summer day in my garage, and bathing in boiled water poured into PVC pipe for the larger parts. Nothing fancy but worked great.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Wheelnut,

It may be a couple of years but once I move and build my bigger shop I’ll get into Blueing, it seems like it’s becoming a lost art. Hot blue is not that hard, and probably more durable than cloud bluing, but with both it’s the polishing you have to master.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,033
Posts18,481,900
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.