Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Always been intrigued by this model, seems well made and liked. Will it hang with a 10/22 sporter?

You folks who have them/had them, use irons, peeps, or glass? Wonder if a red dot would work?

How is the drop/comb....seems almost like a Euro design on the stock config, perhaps works best with open sights?

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have 2 newer models. One with open sights and std walnut stocks and a maple stocked one with an old weaver 3x on it. Love them both. They are fatally becoming my only used rim fires. They carry so nice and accuracy is more than adequate for any hunting where a rim fire is needed

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The BL-22 is fun, but the SA seems like it might be even more so....with similar accuracy I am guessing. How's the triggers on yours, and what groups do get with them? I take it yours are both 22 LR?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Both are 22lr. Can’t tell ya group size with out digging around for old targets but both are easily capable of blasting rotten eggs out past 75 yards. The one with the 3x shoots as well as my 10/22 with er Shaw barrel and tuned trigger. They are just a joy to carry and shoot

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for feedback.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Haven’t had a chance to really play with them yet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Good enough for his first squirrel Christmas afternoon though.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've had a 10-22 and and the Browning; still have the Browning, purchased new more than thirty-five years ago. My Browning has never been scoped. I didn't do a side-by-side accuracy comparison, but I'd guess 50-yard accuracy of the guns was comparable with the .22 ammo I shoot most, CCI SV. I was surprised a take-down gun would shoot as well as the Browning has.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never liked the Browning SA because it is just so dang small. My wife does like it, she said it's petite. It is a well made gun with a neat design.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Haven’t had a chance to really play with them yet.

Good enough for his first squirrel Christmas afternoon though.

chubby squirrel. He'll have that rifle forever

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome Cheesy...

Forty-nine years later I still remember like it was yesterday when I opened my Christmas present to find a Colt Woodsman Pistol.

This is one Christmas that your kid's won't soon forget.

65BR,

My Browning SA-22 Shorts only will not hang with my 10-22's... all the 10-22's are scoped, re-triggered and modded every which way; while my SA-22 is as it came from the factory, except for the 'Skinner' arperture in the rear sight dovetail.

I've got a scope base for it, but I enjoy it's handy svelte (scopeless) configuration for walking the woods or even plinking at the range.

YMMV,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Jerry I've heard folks who also admire the SA in SHORT......my brother ran that ammo in his old BL22 long ago, had a jeweler put a GOLD bead on the front sight. He would often limit out.......Short HPs......

I'd imagine a LR running CCI Subsonic HP would also be very quiet.

Yes, Great pics above, that squirrel will always be remembered! Nice, great job Dad!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR
I'd imagine a LR running CCI Subsonic HP would also be very quiet.

If I had the SA-22 LR I would try the CCI Quiet rounds in it for plinking, I've read where someone over at rimfire central 'claimed' it would function with them (I wonder as I tried everything {bolt modded for standard velocity, light recoil spring & light hammer spring} to get them to function in a 10-22 and they would not).

Now CCI has 'Semi-Auto' Quiets which will function in a 10-22 and likely in the SA-22 also.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had about 8 or 9 of the SA-22s. I've only got three right now but wouldn't be caught without at least one! They are very lightweight and, to me, a dream to carry on any hunt. A scope will work well but SA-22s have either grooved receivers or are drilled and tapped on the barrel depending on dom. I've heard the barrel mounted variety is more accurate. The Browning open sights are fine but the drop of the stock can be problematic for some...I have to really press my cheek down onto the stock to see both sights. The earlier wheel sight variety is better but harder to locate nowadays. Don't know about a peep on a SA-22. One thing I will say is that, at least for me, they are a wonderful piece of weaponry! They are quick to point and about as fun to shoot at running small game as I've ever seen. AND they are just sleek and beautiful...especially the Grade II and Grade III engraved models.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 65BR
Will it hang with a 10/22 sporter?

Out of the box, the SA-22 will hang - and better - with a 10/22.

You can throw money at the 10/22 and make it a target rifle. That the SA-22 will never be.

I have both. Wouldn't be without both. Had to throw money at the 10/22 just to make it work - and not for the first time.

The SA-22 just worked from the get go. I've got a cheap red dot on it now but would be just as pleased with only the factory sights.

To put holes in things - no difference.

To hang a suppressor - the 10/22.

For sheer pleasure, the SA-22 every time.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased mine new in August. I don't know if I got lucky but it consistently shoots sub 1" at 50yds using CCI SV and Lapua Center-X does even less

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
SA-22 is a super cool little rifle. My mom/dad had-now brother has one. The take-down feature can become loose..but I know there's an easy fix. I only handled it a couple of times.

Think if I was wanting a sporty, classy little semi-auto I'd choose a 552 BDL. Shoots shorts, longs, or long rifles in any order you load them. It's a little bigger rifle but still has a slender feel to it.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two Browning SA and a few Ruger 10/22s.

The Browning is more jewelry like workmanship.
The Ruger is easier to get the barrel mounted firmly and mount a scope.

The suppressors have a problem with SSS ammo and semi autos. The chamber can let out a noise when the short case extracts.
For that I would suggest a CZ455 bolt action

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My dad bought me one in 1965. Still have it. Beat all to hell but still shoots well enough to headshoot squirrels. I guess it’s had at least 30,000 rounds through it. Nice rifle for a lefty.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a Remington M24, an early one, in .22 Short only, They are made on the Browning patent. It's an older rifle (four digit serial number 24XX) and it still works fine, but the first half of the barrel is worn out badly (it was made during the days of corrosive priming and half/half "Lesmok" ammo. It was used in a gallery, and only has a five round capacity.

It still shoots fairly well, for an iron-sighted, poor bore, loose fitted takedown gear rifle. I often kill trapped coons with it, and have thumped a few that were't trapped, too. Aside from it's condition, it's a fun gun to shoot, but the empty cases flying down your shirt sleeve are a genuine PITA. Those little cases are HOT when they get ejected. Beware of that.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,078
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.