Print Thread
Hop To
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
I noticed on their site it is listed as parallax free @ 50 meters. How big of an issue is it at different ranges? How would you compare it to a 2X handgun scope?

The only red dot I've used is a Burris Fast Fire 3 which is listed as being parallax free. To be honest, I normally keep the dot near the center of the "screen" and have not actually tested it.

Thanks.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is no parallax with a red dot. There are no components needed to erect the picture and bring a focus to a reticle.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've never noticed parallax with my Ultradots, and I've used it in competition on targets from 25 to 200 meters.

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
There is no parallax with a red dot. There are no components needed to erect the picture and bring a focus to a reticle.

That is what I always thought but, straight from their own website;

Specifications:Tube Diameter: 30mm
Field of View: Unlimited
Windage/Elevation Adjustments: 1 MOA per click
Dot Size: 4 MOA
Dot Brightness Adjustment: 11 Settings / ClickLength: 5.1 Inches
Battery: 3v Lithium CR2032
Battery Life: 20 - 4,000 Hours (User Dependant)
Weight: 3.9 oz
Parallax Free @ 50m

And for the Ultradot L/T ;

Specifications:Dimensions:51 x 28 x 37mm
Weight: 58g
Sight window:25.76 x 22.01
Battery: CR2032 3V Lithium
Windage adjustment range: 305cm @ 100yElevation adjustment range: 457cm @ 100y
Dot size: 4 MOA
Dot brightness adjustment: 10 settings
Parallax Free @ 100m
Shock proof: 1000g
Waterproof: Waterproof

Hence the question. Kind of figured it was just something else I don't know.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
If in fact there is "no parallax, " both statements are true.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All red dots have parallax for the same reason as telescopic sights - focal plane of the dot (reticle). Parallax is less apparent in red dots since there is no magnification. The dot can be 'focused' at a specific range to minimize or for all practical purposes eliminate parallax. Parallax will be more apparent at close range.

Getting a handle on the POI shift due to parallax is tough to answer. Due to the sleep inducing properties of the topic I've only scanned a few studies, but the shift depends on how far off center the shooter is viewing the dot, the shooter's individual perception, and the red dot itself. Plus, there is both vertical and horizontal shift and they can be different. In other words, two shooters can report different results. Ballpark, across a dozen different red dots, 0-15 MOA.

Shown at the link is too much information: Comparative Study of Red Dot Sight Parallax

This video by the same group shows the same thing at a glance:

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by JOG
All red dots have parallax for the same reason as telescopic sights - focal plane of the dot (reticle). Parallax is less apparent in red dots since there is no magnification. The dot can be 'focused' at a specific range to minimize or for all practical purposes eliminate parallax.

This. There is a specific range at which there is zero parallax, but at other ranges there is some amount of parallax. The actual amount depends on the optic.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Interesting video, JOG. I thought for some reason that they didn't have much parallax. I will have to pay more attention and keep the dot in the middle the screen.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just changed from a Leupold M8 2X EER to the UltraDot 30mm, with a 4moa dot, on my Ruger Redhawk. I never thought about parallax with a red dot, I'll have to experiment with it! Thanks for the post.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Bringing this back up because I finally got the Vortex Venom the other day. I tested it and my Burris FF3 today for parallax. I mounted 2 old weaver bases to a small piece of 2x4 and mounted it to a tripod so that they were side by side. Just testing at various ranges there was no apparent parallax past about 20 feet. I'm not doubting that there was some but it was small enough that I couldn't detect it. I tested from 10 feet to about 150 yards. At around 10 feet each of them had somewhere around 1" total movement. At 20 feet it was a very slight shift but it would still be good enough for minute of squirrel head.

I'm still curious about the Ultradot 30.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.