Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ward Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've had more than one rifle purchase or build that just didn't pan out. Custom rifles that cost too much and took too long that just didn't provide accuracy or reliability better than an off the shelf purchase. There have been a couple rifles that I'd wanted since boyhood that just weren't as good in reality as they were in my hopes. But there was one that took the prize for absolute stupidity. I decided I wanted an elk rifle for Roosevelt elk that provided plenty of power, was easy to carry and could give me a quick second shot. Then I got a really good buy on a BLR in 7mm Mag and knew a gunsmith who'd worked on several Browning levers and sem-auto's. Long ago I'd owned a .358 Norma that was a sporterized 1917 Enfield so I had the dies and brass sitting in the back of my loading cabinet. It wasn't long before I had a lever action .358 Norma.

The first shot from sandbags was a surprise. By the time it was sighted in, I was talking to people long gone. My body shape, the stock configuration and recoil generated by the Norma Mag were a toxic mix for me. Thinking it might be OK for hunting, I took it to the range a second time for some offhand practice where my jaw and shoulder continued to suffer. All my hopes and planning resulted in a nearly unusable rifle for me. It was my good fortune to have a friend who diagnosed me as a recoil puzzy and gave me an offer for the rifle that nearly covered its cost. He later sold the rifle without telling me why.

I am sure I could come up with another ill considered hunting rifle if given the chance. Old age and downsizing are about the only things that might save me from myself.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The first custom I built was a Mauser action in 338 mag and I used a laminated stock, it put the total weight at 9+ lbs. too much for a rifle used in the mountains. I have replaced the laminate with a Bansner and the bottom metal with a blind magazine, now it's 7.75 lbs. more better.... wink

Last edited by irfubar; 12/26/19.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kimber Montana 7-08. Couldn't hit a pie plate at 100 yards and wouldn't feed from the magazine. Worked out in the end because Kimber let me trade for a rifle of my choice, took a .223.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My worst one, was one that i bought on gunbroker. It was supposed to be a sporterized m1917 30-06, but when i got it, it was a sporterized p14 303 British. Yes, i was pizzed, but i bought it cheap and was really only buying it for the custom stock that was on it. I ended up throwing a different stock on that rifle and gave it to one of my hunting buddies, as a birthday gift. He likes the 303 British, so it worked out great for him.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bought a Steyr in 243 that couldn't keep minute of pie plate no matter the load nor tinkering. After accepting that fact, I swapped in for a lovely Sako 17 Remington that is almost minute of house fly.

Also had a zytel stocked Ruger in 7 mag. I think it put more hurt on the stock end than anything it would hit, which wasn't often. My buddy still has a semi permanent bruise from us trying in vain to sight the thing in for a moose hunt. Sent that one down the river too, and pity the soul that has to grit his teeth every time he touches it off.

Have a Henry single shot now that although fairly accurate, I just can't get over how such a horrible trigger can be offered on a factory rifle. Had I known, I'd have never tested those waters either. Trying to find someone who is competent to work on it, but otherwise it may just go the way of the Steyr.

Last edited by jacare; 12/26/19.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Dad bought me a Stevens .22 when I was a kid that had a stock with a fox carved into it. It never functioned correctly or would hit the broad side of a barn. I wanted so badly for that thing to shoot since I was a squirrel hunting addict and it is a cool looking little .22 but it just wasn’t meant to be. Sits in the back corner of my gun safe only because my dad bought it for me.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The one the smith never finished. Eventually (after nearly 2.5 years) I ended up with a nice looking 7x57 Model 70 barreled action (Douglass Premium featherweight) that once dropped into a stock wouldn't shoot worth a chit no matter what I did with it. The walnut stock never got completed. I keep it in the basement with all my rifles as a reminder to choose 'smiths more carefully. Eventually I may burn it for some satisfaction.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Frankenstein Model 70 7 WSM. Spent a bunch of money getting back together and even more money on brass for so so accuracy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Built a super nice lefty 700 chambered in 9.3x62. Shoots great, lightweight, really like it a lot. Then CDNN closed out the lefty 375 Rugers for $599. Would have saved me a few grand.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Seeing this thread makes me realize that I've been very fortunate in my rifle purchases. It would be easier to think of the ones that I regret sending down the road. I've purchased several hand guns that were real duds though.

As far as rifles go I bought a sporterized Enfield in .303. It would not feed reliably and accuracy was very poor. I wound up using it in a trade for something else.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Winchester 100 .284 - Shot so poorly I doubt you could successfully commit suicide with it.

Browning Safari .264 - Gorgeous rifle, but shot patterns rather than groups regardless of the ammo.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Did a couple of dumb builds when I was new to custom rifles. I was ignorant and my gunsmith wasn’t someone to tell me I was doing it wrong. One of them I ended up getting good use out of as my primary deer rifle for a few years and killed some really nice bucks with it. The other I never really took to

I’m in the process now of having both rebarelled and restocked into rifles that suit my needs much better. One is done and was my main deer rifle this year and I love it. The other I’ll take delivery on in January

My mistakes were probably pretty typical. Barrels too heavy and twists too slow for the most part

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Bought a left handed Savage 110 in .338 Magnum. The cracked stock should have warned me. Put a couple hundred more bucks into it with a Lee Six fiberglass stock. Hated it, sold it and bought a 30-06.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Way to light 300 WM. Built on a 700LA. 23" Tube all up at 7.5 Pound. Decent Rifle shoot very well NOT FOR ME.
My teeth hurt thinking about Hot 180's.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My very first build.
M77
358 norma
20" #2 hart
Brown stock- pounder maybe.

I never weighed it but probably around 6lbs sans scope. It kicked so hard and so fast even my 25 year old self couldn't take it. I don't think I made it through a hundred shots.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Had a hunting partner who bought a plain jane Remington 700ADL in 243 that shot incredibly small groups. Went out later and bought another 700ADL in the same caliber and put the same model scope on it, and it wouldnt shoot for anything after bedding, different scopes, etc. About drove him crazy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Several years back I found an early Kimber of Oregon M84 223, I can’t remember if it was a Custom Classic or Super America. Definitely gorgeous claro.

Rifles that wouldn’t hit your hat at 100 yards? That was one of ‘em.

Before I talked myself into having it rebarrelled, I sold it to a KofO collector who wanted it to put on the wall and didn’t care how it shot.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Built a 257 on a yugo mauser. Spent over a grand even with trading for labor. Too heavy and hard to find stocks etc.

Learned a big name barrel doesn't mean much if it won't shoot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sako 75 .270 win

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never had any horror stories, but a #1 Ruger in .22 Hornet wasn't inspiring until it got reamed to .22 K-Hornet. Sub MOA after that, end of story.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.