Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm planning on buying a few more trail cams this winter. At this point I have one Moultrie (I think it's an A25 or 30) that I set up near a scrape on my son's property. It takes decent pics and I'm leaning towards buying a few more of them since they are simple to set-up, seem reliable and are relatively inexpensive. I'm just trying to keep it simple at this point.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have Brownings and Moultries... I like both.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best I had were Bushnell HD. I had those fail too, and other brand seemed to have a higher failure rate. My SD cards also don't like the moisture. PNY seem to crap out pretty quick. I agree that ease of programming is a huge plus.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Is there a reasonably priced trailcam with a totally invisible flash?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Reviews on trail cameras are all over the place, with none that I have seen getting strong reviews across the board. I think you have to ask yourself what you want the camera to do. I don't need quality photos. I just want to know what's there. I want decent range and low to no glow flash. Being somewhat technologically challenged, I like simplicity.

I have been using several variants of these for 3 years. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019416363 I am happy enough with them. They have been very reliable. Range is okay. Image quality can go from good with little movement daylight shots to poor with moving night time shots. On balance I am happy with them as they do what I want them to do. At the price you could treat them as disposable.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Check camofire.com they run specials on cameras from time to time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of the Browning trail cams this year and quickly switched the setting from individual pictures with the IR flash to the video setting which I didn't think that I needed when I bought it, but I'm sure glad it is there. Local dogs in the neighborhood keep all the deer activity until after dark and individual pictures blur because of the longer exposure for night time shots. The 20 second videos are great and if I want a still shot, I just freeze frame the video on my computer and take a shot of that with my cell phone.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Windfall
I bought one of the Browning trail cams this year and quickly switched the setting from individual pictures with the IR flash to the video setting which I didn't think that I needed when I bought it, but I'm sure glad it is there. Local dogs in the neighborhood keep all the deer activity until after dark and individual pictures blur because of the longer exposure for night time shots. The 20 second videos are great and if I want a still shot, I just freeze frame the video on my computer and take a shot of that with my cell phone.

Pretty much my experience. 10 second videos are pretty cool. First Browning I've had and am impressed after about 10 months of use. Fashioned a little sheet metal shed to go over it to divert the worst downpours and ice. Had a Primos top end before that puked. Didn't use it for a few months after I got it then it slowly went bad. Sucked batteries bad. Wouldn't hold settings. Finally just died. Barely out of warranty but no help from Primos on replacement. Offered one for half of list price but that's doable a lot of places. Also had a set of their electronic ear muffs that puked just our of warranty too. Needless to say no more Primos electronics for me.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Bill_N Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the feedback. The Stealth cams are similar to the Moultrie I have. Maybe a little cheaper. I'm not inclined to spend a bunch of money on cameras I'm leaving on someone else's property as they may get stolen. Just about everyone I know that has a few cameras out has had that happen.

Funny thing about the Primos story. The first camera I bought was a Primos Truth 64. Hard to set up. Settings changed inadvertently. Would take bursts of 10-15 pics of the same thing. Sucked batteries. Tossed it after one season out of frustration.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I like 20 second video on my three Browning trail cams........This buck I killed 10 days later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH_mYJ3GWUw

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Checked our cheap Muddy cameras.
Seem to work OK, nothing super great.
Never saw this buck all last yr, showed up daylight this morning LOL
I'd like to zip him in October w my recurve

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by hookeye; 01/01/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful frame on that buck, hookeye. Put another year on him and 30 more inches of antler mass and there would be another shoulder mount in your future. Really dark tarsal glands for this late in the season, so you must be having a secondary rut in your neighborhood. The doe fawns of the year have their first estrus period a month or so later than the more mature does.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I really like browning as I only run video on my cameras and have been pleased this season with it.This camera has lasted on one set of batteries and uses 32gb that I switch out every trip to my lease. I would recommend getting one of the browning cameras that uses larger sd cards as videos take a fair amount of space.

Buck and raccoons

https://youtu.be/d3-vsMNZdYI

Hog city

https://youtu.be/ZRdQ13obuho

Razorbacks

https://youtu.be/FYmGqum8ScI

Big buck

https://youtu.be/yC00LkV648I

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
Is there a reasonably priced trailcam with a totally invisible flash?

These are the best cameras I've ever used.

https://www.wildgameinnovations.com...shadow-micro-cam-lightsout/category/559/

I get absolutely zero false pictures on them as well.

Got 3 of them now, and will probably get more.

They sell them at Tractor Supply cheaper than the $129 list price.

They will light up, and detect 75 feet away from the camera.

What a game camera SHOULD be!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,071
Posts18,482,609
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.