Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I think maybe LBK is in the ballpark on whats going on.

Why you don't see RAM, Elwood, Skid, etc, etc....me......and alot of the old boys club not posting anymore. This forum has gone way off track and I'm not even sure if it's salvageable anymore but I carry high hopes.

Anyways, I ain't back to whine, just came across and old thread today and thought that a few of the guys that have been here from the start might wanna see it, sort of a "good old days" reminder.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/savage/133-savage-1899-99-forum-sign.html

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's almost unbelievable how much interest (and prices) in Savage rifles have grown in the last 4 years from where that link took me. With so many people participating now, pretty darn hard to define just what the "track" is.

mad_dog Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boltman
It's almost unbelievable how much interest (and prices) in Savage rifles have grown in the last 4 years from where that link took me. With so many people participating now, pretty darn hard to define just what the "track" is.

You just about hit the nail on the head and didn't even see it.

You have "interest" and "prices" in the same sentence.

Why does a Savage collectors forum have anything to do with todays market or value?

Most of us used to be here for the love of a rifle (made by Savage or course) when did the love of the gun become a price game?

Many of the members left here now are meerly dealers, no love for the gun but what it's worth.

Thats just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Take care guys.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm gone also.I would like to say"When forum members boost the price of a gun just to get a fellow forum member what he wants out of a gun",then things are getting out of hand and turning dishonest.I beleive in honesty.It's sad to see respected members doing this.I've been called a crybaby.All I can say sadly is "What you say is what you are".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
MD,

I don't get your point. OK, so there are gold diggers reading and posting. Everyone that has read this forum has considered the cash value of their accumulations, at one point or another. Plus snipers, post counters, trolls, loud mouths, and the ever present newbie. It was the same on Gun N Knife, and why stop there? Same on rec.guns. There is enough info to keep me watching, especially if I look outside my own silo.

Is it too boring? We used to take turns stirring the pot. Many still do.

I don't get it.

Randy

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joe, I like my savages as much as anyone and i dont mind them increasing in value, I do see a lot of new guys here and most of them just want to know what there guns are worth. I haven't been posting much but i do still try to keep up on info, and if i find anything odd or different i try to get it out here so you guys can log it down,just haven't found much new lately. Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
188 registered users

32 invisible

31 on the Savage forum

549 anonymous user as we speak

Been reading through some 5 years of old posts on searches.

How about this question again " how many guns ya got now, Joe?" and "what's your breakdown in 303s?"

Too many ears, Joe. Hey! How much has giving free info cost you?

How's this one for funny, Joe ?

I'm in the middle of negotiating a trade and just for fun I post a related but vague question pertaining to values in similar 1899 rifles? The phone goes dead and negotiations go into the deep freeze. Guy never posts but he's listening...

Sorry big guy, ain't a quaint little campfire any more...

Oh, and Joe... I gotta call you to task on the monetary / price issue. Been rereading some of your old posts. There was no one as pleased about how little he paid in Canada for his 1895s as you ... the sword is double edged, Joe...

Last edited by olgrouser; 05/19/07.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm a "newbe" I guess. I have a couple of old 99s I've had for several years. They remind me of my dad and I don't give a damn how much there worth. I think newbes are concerned about prices cause there afraid of paying too much, prices and quality being what they are. I hit three gun stores on a regular basis (SP?) and haven't found anything that I consider reasonable for the last year. Once I posted what I found and mentioned the price, looking for advice and I got it. I would think this would be part of the forum function.
I have learned tons here and hope to learn more.There are some guys here that just love pristine guns and some like shooters. There are some wheeler dealers and some collectors. Seems like a big tent to me. I hope M.D. keeps posting, he has a lot to teach. Just my two cents. Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sooo despise when someone insults my intelligence.
Take care Fellar's.
I'm gonna go party w/MD.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man. Looks like I've done it now. Hundreds of posts ago I was involved with a thread that was going very much the same as this one. Temperments were getting stretched. When you come right down to it, we have 1 helluva group. All with 1 thing in common. THE SAVAGE 99. and the 23, and the 1920, and the savage pistols, and the 1895 and and and and. There is so much more than "what's it worth???" BUT there is also just so much "history" to be learned. I almost NEVER buy a gun from a dealer. Why??? Because MOST of them don't know squat about the gun they are selling other than, how much they gave the poor sap that brought it to them, and what their profit margin is. Just today, I saw a 99E in .308 at Riley's Guns in Hooksett N.H. Price $595.00 Bushnell 3 X 9. See through mounts. Aftermarket wood. Small Savage medallion inletted into the stock. Sling swivels. I'll bet you they gave no more than $200.00. IMHO. There were a number of Winnies, Rem's and Rugers there in .308 for less than that. But because it says Savage, the boys at Riley's figure they have a hot item. I really doubt there is anyone working there right now that could tell 1 model Savage from another. BUT, they have no difficulty slapping a price on it. Now there are members on this forum that have tremendous Savage collections and are willing to share their knowledge, friendships, and information, and not think twice about it. Money does not grow on trees for anybody, and when I buy a gun, I try to buy it for as little money as the seller is willing to allow me to pay. I hardly ever sell a gun, but when i do, I try to sell it for as much money as the buyer will pay. That is the art of negotiating. In the last few months I have made some really great friends here at the campfire and I think my skin is thick enough to weather most anything. Ask all the questions you like about Savages, but I don't think it's fair coming here to use the forum as a free appraisal service. I have always said that "any Savage is better than no Savage".

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very well said LBK, I came here orginally to learn a bit about a rifle I had bought, Joe led me here, glad he did. I have met some very fine folks here. I agree, if your buying, you want to pay as little as possible and if you sell it, you want as muchas you can get for it, but there are some unscrupulous bastards out there that are using us to try and set prices, yet they don't come here to learn anything about the rifles and pistols that we hold so dear. Most of the guys that have been coming in are asking decent questions, and if you are trying to get an apprasial for insurance purposes, I'll be glad to tell you what it will cost you to replace it, but if you are a flipper, I will tell you what I will pay for it, pretty easy to tell the difference. I have learned quite a bit here, and am glad to pass on things that people have taught me, but don't use the knowledge to give me a good stiff one in the back. The arguing BS has got to stop, one of the main reasons I have been away from here for so long. I buy Savages, because I like the fit and function of them, I also pick up what I want(Savage Calibers only Please)when I feel I can do it. Sorry, had to vent a bit, and this post pretty much lets me do it. I enjoy having my web site to help newb's figure out what they have, thats why I do it on my dime, but you will never see dates posted there. You have to ask those that truly love the rifles for what they are. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just like Savage 99s.

Sounds like some of you need to have a beer.

Life is good.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Originally Posted by boltman

You just about hit the nail on the head and didn't even see it.

You have "interest" and "prices" in the same sentence.

Why does a Savage collectors forum have anything to do with todays market or value?

Most of us used to be here for the love of a rifle (made by Savage or course) when did the love of the gun become a price game?

Many of the members left here now are meerly dealers, no love for the gun but what it's worth.

Thats just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Take care guys.

There is much truth to what you say Joe. I have mixed feelings about it. Prices have gone up a ton on Savages since I started to hang around here. And that's sort of made things "serious". And, on one hand, I am glad to see Savages get there due. Used to be a "Winnie" was the respectable collector item and Savage didn't get anything similar as far as attention. Now, the secret is out. People recognize the Savage rifles for the quality that was there all along. Not to mention the innovative design that has gained "classic" status. But, the secret getting out has increased the demand and desire out there and as I said, that changes it into a more serious landscape. I feel it in my own collection. My collection used to be a purely fun passtime. Now, it is a "serious" investment and I look at it much differently than I used to. And, I'm not all that happy with this change in perspective. Of late, I've found myself wondering if I downsized substantially, would I enjoy it more - get back into viewing it as just fun?

I still enjoy this forum. I learn something new most days and I think the majority of guys around here are here because they enjoy and appreciate Savages. I suppose my time here may run its course at some point as well - and I really have no idea when that will be. Until then, I'm glad to be here. I know I am part of a dying breed and I'd rather be around others of the same fate than the alternative.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
boltman, you say a lot that strikes true, I ave downsized mine to just what I really like, sure I'll buy more, but, will be real careful to consider the condition now. I may pay a premium, but what the hell. I can make more money. By the way, the Perris will be up tommorrow night. Les

Last edited by Violator22; 05/19/07.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hope to take that picture tomorrow for you Les.

I admire that you have been able to downsize. You've probably heard how they used to (maybe still do) capture monkeys in Africa? They take a coconut and hollow it out and fasten it to a chain which is attached to a tree. There is a hole bored in it big enough for the monkey to stick his hand through and inside of the coconut, there is a treat for the monkey. The monkey sticks his hand into the coconut and grabs the treat. He cannot pull his hand through the hole while his hand is wrapped around the treat. The monkey will actually starve to death before letting go of the treat. I think I am that monkey. The monkey doesn't realize what Les has realized - you can always go out and buy another treat later! Truly, my hat is off to you Les.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ya know, kind of works for Coon's too, put something shiny in the knothole fo a tree, hammer some nails in at an angle in the knothole, coon sticks his paw in and won't let go of the shiny object, so the nails hold him in til he dies, Not happening here. There are always more out there buddy, but right now, am looking for a Marlin 336 T with Saddle ring in 44 Mag, even though I don't have a 44 mag pistol, I want the rifle cause I stupidly sold one many years ago. Must be something about T's that gets me wanting. grin Les

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think I know what Joe (aka "Mad Dog") means. I've been attending this Forum for more than four years... and things DO seem to have changed a bit lately.

There's been lotsa "new blood" that has come here lately... I've noticed it too... and I don't post in this Forum nearly as much as I once did, but I still come by once or twice each day to read what other's have to say.

I can't say it's "good" or "bad"... seems to me it's just "different". smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have rattled around the internet a bit and keep coming back to this forum. The answers provided by the "Old Guard" here are without a doubt among the most eloquent, succinct and helpful to be found anywhere. If the knowledge these guys have regarding things Savage could be bound into a book it would be awsome to behold.

On the other hand, the newbie of today could be the expert of five years from now-- if he has the good sense to ask intelligent questions, listen to the answers, and contribute his knowledge as he gains it. Combativeness born of ignorance or from answers to questions that don't fit a pre-concieved idea will serve to do nothing more than tear this forum apart. That would be a pity.

The old timers need to be patient when someone steps in and asks "Whats the age, value, rarity, etc." for the gazillionth time. Newcomers need to respect the old guys' font of knowledge from which their answers come. By and large that's the way it has been working. Those instances when it hasn't have left a bad taste in all our mouths. Showing disrespect to a man is a sure way to get slapped down.

As far as "How much is it worth?" What's it worth to you? That's what it's worth. Period. Take the P-38 can opener. One of the greatest inventions of the 20th century. (I use mine regularly in my kitchen) It'll cost you about a buck at a flea market. Ask any GI from the 1940-1970 time period what it's worth and you'll likely get an earfull. Hell I know middle-aged former GI's who still carry one on their key chains. Priceless. Ask a 20-something year old on the street what it's worth and he'll look at you like you got two heads. It's all relative- including the "worth" of our treasured guns.

Sorry for being longwinded. (It was only 2 shots of single-malt long! Honest!)

Gary

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Amen! I think the cold is starting to get to Mad Dog, maybe too cold to drink beer? Nah! LOL

My brother is at our camp by Schreiber, Ont. and said it's all iced up, thinking about having a coffee. Next thing you know he'll be shooting Winchesters!

Seriously, I really do appreciate you sharing your knowledge of Savage firearms with us, you the man!

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I too have learned alot about the Savage99s here, and am still learning, thats part of the fun I guess, i have met some GREAT folks here, and some not so great, I dont post as much anymore, and will watch what I post, not going to post prices, or how many 99 I saw at a show, If one of ya are looking for a certain MD Ill keep my eyes open for ya, let me know, but I like all old guns & Kinves, so you see me on the the other threads too, As for the bashing, it needs to stop, a little kidding is fine part of the fun well, later as Im about out of words! John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 4,121 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.