Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Back several weeks ago I posted on here inquiring about what to expect with rotator cuff surgery. I heard everything from "it sucks, it's the most painful thing ever!" to recommendations to find a sexy physical therapist after surgery.
Well, I underwent "superior rotator cuff reconstruction" this past Monday the 23rd. I don't really know what all the Dr. did In there, as he was a man of few words with my wife. I'll find out the details when I go back for follow-up in a couple of weeks. He did tell her that things were "worse than he expected in there" and he decided to do an open procedure rather than arthroscopic as he had initially said he would do. He told her he was just hoping to buy me another 5-10 years at which time I would likely need a full joint replacement. frown Damn.
Anyway, the pain has been almost non-existent. Seriously. They gave me a nerve block before surgery and it began wearing off about 36 hrs later so I began taking oxycodone every 4 hrs as prescribed. I've stretched the oxy out every 6 hrs now and I swear, I've had more pain from a regular workout than what I've felt with this. I've had an ice pump on it pretty much 24 hours per day since I came home. I just hope some unbearable pain doesn't jump on me with a vengeance when I stop taking the pain meds.

I am still planning to look for a sexy physical therapist, regardless.

Last edited by Triggernosis; 12/26/19.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get off the oxy as soon as you can and use Ibuprofen. You'll know you were carved up in a few days, trust me.

Be sure to keep it in that black "box" that's strapped on. There'll be plenty of time for moving it in re-hab in 6 weeks.

Best of luck in your recovery. wink

Last edited by luv2safari; 12/26/19.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't exercise the joint! Wait until you get professional direction before moving it. I was told to just lean over and let the arm hang and swing the wrist in a 6" circle. This operation might be one of them that needs to knit together before use. The Doc's don't know until they see you so they don't say much.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MM879
Don't exercise the joint! Wait until you get professional direction before moving it. I was told to just lean over and let the arm hang and swing the wrist in a 6" circle. This operation might be one of them that needs to knit together before use. The Doc's don't know until they see you so they don't say much.

Understood. I'm not supposed to do ANYTHING with it until instructed by the Dr. and physical therapist. Mine does indeed have to knit itself together because they had to use cadaver tissue to rebuild it.
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Get off the oxy as soon as you can and use Ibuprofen. You'll know you were carved up in a few days, trust me.

Be sure to keep it in that black "box" that's strapped on. There'll be plenty of time for moving it and re-hab in 6 weeks.

Best of luck in your recovery. wink

My Dr. doesn't recommend ibuprofen as it supposedly inhibits bone/tendon healing.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
As l2s said, push the oxy out more as you can. Get off at your earliest convenience.
Nerve blocks are straight from God and his angels.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
From a guy that did not listen to the surgeon ---- listen to them on the rehab, follow it religiously --- 1 year to 5 lbs means 1 year to 5 lbs or a significant setback. Keep up the positive thoughts as you will get better. I had to learn to shoot as a leftie for a year but now everything is back to normal. One question to ask is if there is any impingement on the bicep tendons --- I lost the long head tendon on the bicep about 7 years after the surgery which put me into another recovery period.

Hugh
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No impingement on the biceps tendon - I took care of that when I ripped the superior bicep tendon off the bone when I fell and demolished the rotator cuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Back several weeks ago I posted on here inquiring about what to expect with rotator cuff surgery. I heard everything from "it sucks, it's the most painful thing ever!" to recommendations to find a sexy physical therapist after surgery.
Well, I underwent "superior rotator cuff reconstruction" this past Monday the 23rd. I don't really know what all the Dr. did In there, as he was a man of few words with my wife. I'll find out the details when I go back for follow-up in a couple of weeks. He did tell her that things were "worse than he expected in there" and he decided to do an open procedure rather than arthroscopic as he had initially said he would do. He told her he was just hoping to buy me another 5-10 years at which time I would likely need a full joint replacement. frown Damn.
Anyway, the pain has been almost non-existent. Seriously. They gave me a nerve block before surgery and it began wearing off about 36 hrs later so I began taking oxycodone every 4 hrs as prescribed. I've stretched the oxy out every 6 hrs now and I swear, I've had more pain from a regular workout than what I've felt with this. I've had an ice pump on it pretty much 24 hours per day since I came home. I just hope some unbearable pain doesn't jump on me with a vengeance when I stop taking the pain meds.

I am still planning to look for a sexy physical therapist, regardless.

It sounds like you have stayed out in front of the pain. A few of my 8 orthopedic surgeries have been relatively pain free. Some not so much. Who knows why. Consider yourself fortunate and continue to stay ahead of the pain. Physical therapy never really bothered me too much. I hope it's the same for you. Heal well my friend.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
^^^ Thanks.
How will I know when to start seriously backing off the pain meds? I stretched the oxycodone to every 6 hours today and I have begun to feel some deep throbbing and discomfort in there. I believe I've got about two more days worth of pills for every 6 hour dosing.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had both shoulders done. I got off the meds in a few days. But my wife kept icing it every twenty minutes. I followed the instructions to a "T". Almost pain free except for the rehab.

The second shoulder surgery was last July. By December I was able to bench press my body weight.

Do what they say.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^ Thanks.
How will I know when to start seriously backing off the pain meds? I stretched the oxycodone to every 6 hours today and I have begun to feel some deep throbbing and discomfort in there. I believe I've got about two more days worth of pills for every 6 hour dosing.

Pain meds or no, about 72 hours out from surgery you'll know you were cut, I hate to say. I don't wish pain on anyone, especially good Campfire friends.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
I had both shoulders done. I got off the meds in a few days. But my wife kept icing it every twenty minutes. I followed the instructions to a "T". Almost pain free except for the rehab.

The second shoulder surgery was last July. By December I was able to bench press my body weight.

Do what they say.

Wow! I can't imagine ever doing that again. I will be totally satisfied if I will be able to do a pushup again one day.

Originally Posted by luv2safari
^^^ Thanks.

Pain meds or no, about 72 hours out from surgery you'll know you were cut, I hate to say. I don't wish pain on anyone, especially good Campfire friends.
I'm a little bit scared. And just took another oxycodone. 😉

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^ Thanks.

I was off regular narcotics within 4 days on all of my surgeries. If I used them beyond that it was to knock back a spike in pain. I think you are close to being out of the woods.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
^^^ Thanks.

I was off regular narcotics within 4 days on all of my surgeries. If I used them beyond that it was to knock back a spike in pain. I think you are close to being out of the woods.

10-4. I may try to switch over to ibuprofen, even though my Dr. doesn't like it, after tomorrow.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
kinda depends on the size of the cut or little cuts on shoulder how the pain thing goes.plus what needs to be done also. i had 5 inch cuts on both shoulders 2 years apart the worst shoulder he said he did frankinstein stuff with what he had to do . before he started i had very little use left in my dominate right arm i could not start my truck,turn radio on anymore. surgeon installed metal pins to hold all the sewing in place ,surgeon said i had a poor chance of recovery and only 1% of the shoulder surgery are that bad but it turned out good. but it was very painful recovery and months of therapy ,but it is now the better shoulder for me,i also learned to be a little more careful too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just take the meds as long as you NEED them for pain.

You will know when it is time.

I doubt that they have given you enough to get you hooked like so many think can happen.
And if you get constipated just go eat at the taco bell,it seems these same folks claim it gives them the [bleep].

Hope the therapy goes your way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
so I began taking oxycodone every 4 hrs as prescribed. I've stretched the oxy out every 6 hrs now and I swear, I've had more pain from a regular workout than what I've felt with this.

Glad things went well. Make sure you take stool softeners or you'll end up trying to schit a 36" round turd.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have indeed been taking a stool softener.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

In my veterinary training I was taught how to reduce or eliminate pain. I took an oath <https://www.avma.org/policies/veterinarians-oath> and dedicated myself to those ideals. I also learned quickly (On The Job training) that pain also has an important function, can be vital in healing and is a valued therapeutic tool. Pain reminds our bodies, of all species, to take it easy, not to do stupid stuff and to pay attention to reasonable limits, natural or prescribed.

Continue to go longer between pills and dutifully follow the experienced advice of your Orthopedist and PT folks very carefully. It takes some old-fashioned grit to do all that, but it does work. Your recovery depends on your efforts now, and you will be stretched to recuperate fully. Give yourself permission to slow down and take the needed time to heal.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Physical therapy is going to be fun. Was in just about same as you 4 years ago except labrum as well. Off meds in 3 days but PT was a BITCH. 8 weeks worth 3 times a week. Took 1 1/2 years just to feel normal again. DO exactly what DR TELLS YOU. You do not want him to go in again.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 70 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.