I guess I'm old school.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
You need to check for a burr before moving to the next finer belt, First time sharpening a new knife, it can take quite a while to correctly profile it with the coarsest belt. Same with any sharpener, if you cant feel the burr on the opposite side of the blade are sharpening, with your thumb, the whole length of the blade, when you move to the next finer belt, you arent sharpening the edge yet!!!

This. First time you use one of those belt sander deals you are most likely going to be re-profiling a standard v-edge into a convex edge and it takes time. Beats sandpaper on a mouse pad I bet. One way to check and see if you are hitting the edge is to cut gently 90 degrees into a stone (or maybe one of your belts) and create a "flat" where your old knife edge was. Flip the knife over edge up and you should be able to see this running the length of the blade with a good light. Sharpen until you can't see the flat anymore all the way down, then STOP! Probably you have to check the edge after each pass on the belt. The edge has been created, all you have to do is refine it by going to finer abrasives. Some people color the bevel with a magic marker until they get a feel for what they are doing. Once created you can maintain a convex edge for a long time stropping on a soft substrate.......like an old mouse pad under sandpaper.

If you want simple, the little Rada gadget is hard to beat for the results you get vs what it costs and how easy it is. Finishing up on a stone or steel enhances the results but is not necessary. This is a great gadget to have handy when your knife gets dull in the middle of cutting up a bunch of meat or whatever and you don't want to go with your "system" but just want to finish what you are doing.

My preferred method is freehand with oil stones. Its a skill worth acquiring.

Last edited by RJY66; 12/27/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by rainshot
Another vote for the Sharpmaker I've been using one for years.

And another fan here....

Me too.

I've been using mine for about a decade. If you can hold a knife fairly straight up and down, like you're gonna chop up a carrot, you're ready to turn out razors on the Spyderco Sharpmaker. It's really that easy.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also like the Spyderco Sharpmaker. Pretty easy to use and works very well, including serrated edges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huh, I thought the Work Sharp Ken Onion was an easy to use sharpener. However, I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker too for when I don't feel like pulling out the Ken Onion. They both work great as sharpening tools, just different tools.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I`ve had my work-sharp for 10+ years now. It works , from my $300 skinning knives , to my daily carry spring assist knife. Stays sharp for a very long time, and seems as easy peasy as it gets imo .
Red belt 5 pulls per side then grey honing belt 5 pulls per side , done. Worth the $100.
Skinned many russian boar and buffalo , anyone who has knows how fast a knife goes dull on those game. Work Sharp kept them sharp and ready for duty . Love that thing.

Yesterday was a history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.. that's why we call it "present"!!!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by tansinator
Freaking foolproof! Anybody can sharpen a knife with these.

https://www.amazon.com/Edgemaker-Sh...YdIRmUGwGkhw&hsa_cr_id=6906561230201

I've had mine for probably 20-25 yrs and still sharpens blades fine.
Just have to rotate the steel occasionally.

Greg

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use a diamond chefs choice electric for kitchen knives and a lansky for my others. I can use a stone or crock stick but usually use the.jig or the electric.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I used to be old school and used a soft Arkansas, hard, and black Arkansas with honing oil. But I couldn't keep up between kitchen, fillet, fishing and hunting knives. Then I was told about Accusharp about ten years ago and tried one. It's all I have use ever since, quick and simple to maintain a sharp blade.

https://accusharp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P704B1EtMC0

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by redjones
Originally Posted by tansinator
Freaking foolproof! Anybody can sharpen a knife with these.

https://www.amazon.com/Edgemaker-Sh...YdIRmUGwGkhw&hsa_cr_id=6906561230201

I've had mine for probably 20-25 yrs and still sharpens blades fine.
Just have to rotate the steel occasionally.

Greg

I have had mine that long as well. Stupid simple and should be in every kitchen.

Last edited by tansinator; 12/27/19.

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
As soon as my shop is built, this is one of the first projects.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saskfox
Lansky . Has mine 30 years. I use the diamond stones.

+100
I loved the diamond lansky stones for years.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 12/27/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have no patience and no skill with a stone.

Warthog V-Sharp Classic II. Amazon for $80. Easy. Works great. You should buy a finer grit stone for $10, but that's it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm old school and like a good extra fine India,Hard Arkansas and Black Arkansas oil stones.I keep a extra fine diamond stone in the kitchen for dressing up the edge on my daily use knives.The thing about knives is,keep them sharp.I've seen people who carry knives that are so dull it looks like the edge on a butter knife.Takes a lot of work to get the edge back on them.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have an edge pro and sharpmaker. I use the sharpmaker the vast majority of the time. Buy the extra stones and don't let your knives get dull. It's very easy to get great results

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rada

$5

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I love the electric Ken Onion sharpener, just takes some practice. Worksharp makes a diamond stone sharpener complete with coarse and fine grit sides, built in angle guides, a ceramic steel and leather strop in one small unit that will fit in your pocket. Thats about all I use now. I keep one in my pack at all times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ginzu

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spyderco Sharpmaker here too.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Worksharp . Love mine.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,643 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.