Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just curious how many of you use them, or feel they are a game changer?

The downside I see is.....over time they fade........do the major mfg. 'restore' the tritium for a fee?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Usual for about $100 they can be restored😂

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The normal life (they say) is 10-12 years. I have several sets that are still working fine that are older.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer a tritium front sight only so it's fairly cheap.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you really want night sights I’d go tritium front, preferably painted like the Trijicon HDs, and a solid black rear. I prefer a fiber front and black rear.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Appreciate the comments folks. Anyone else, feel free to chime in. Thanks.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Having a front sight that shows up in the dark is a game changer for me. Got them on my SIG 220 and my SOCOM 16 M1A. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a dot over dot figure eight configuration. The back dot is smaller, dimmer and slightly different color, yellowish tone. Front sight is larger, brighter and green.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have night sights on several of my handguns, but I don't believe I will invest in any more sets or recharging dead ones down the line. I just don't see them well enough at this point to feel they're worth it. Weapon Mounted Lights and red dots from here on out for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The main reason I like night sights is;

I can see the sights glowing in the dark, with my handgun laying on my nightstand.

I wouldn't have to fumble around, feeling for where it was laying with these sights.

Virgil B.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
- When "night sights" started to become standard equipment on LE service pistols in the late 80's, I immediately saw an increase in night time qualification scores. Interestingly, the degree of improvement was fairly inverse relative to shooter skill. In other words, the better shooter's scores didn't improve that much but the marginal shooters experienced the most benefit.

- In contrast, that phenomenon didn't measurably translate to an increase in hit percentages on bad guys in actual shootings.

- The configuration of luminous sights (dots, bars, front & back, front only, etc) is largely a subjective matter and I've seen folks do well with all of the iterations available.

- As for the service life issue, the tritium ampules can be replaced but in my mind the juice just ain't worth the squeeze (in most cases) and I just replace them when they die.

Last edited by 41magfan; 12/28/19.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Take it or leave it, but here are my observations. I used to be all about night sights and put them on every handgun I owned that ever got in my rotation of defensive guns and the gun I carried on duty. I still have them on my duty gun because policy requires them. I use Ameriglo “Spartan Tactical” sights because the rear vials have no paint around them and the sight looks black otherwise with a big orange front sight. They are also lower profile than Trijicon HDs, which are my next favorite.

When bright LED flashlights and weapon lights with 300+ lumens came out, I started to realize they wash out night sights. But, you get a great outline, so it didn’t effect my shooting. I them tried a fiber optic front with black rear sight and was amazed how well that jumps out at you when using a bright flashlight or weapon light. My personal guns now have that configuration.

My edc light was an older incandescent Surefire Aviator which didn’t wash out my sights as bad. Now I edc a Streamlight Protac 1L and duty carry that and a couple Surefire G2zx “Combat Lights”, with Surefire X300U-B lights on my duty gun and house gun.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
For me, seriously, night sights biggest advantage is being able to find your gun in the dark. I think if you have a rail, a light is a much better investment. If you add them, i would go with contrasting dots i.e. green/orange, or like Kensights box rear with dot front.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If you really want night sights I’d go tritium front, preferably painted like the Trijicon HDs, and a solid black rear. I prefer a fiber front and black rear.

I like that setup myself. Trijicon FOs on a PPQ 45, shown here in CQB against charging round bales.

[Linked Image]

If I was going back in harness I'd run a front night sight only.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
GREAT Feedback folks, appreciate all the info.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
how are those RMR and other red dot pistol sights with bright weapons lights?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jimmyp
how are those RMR and other red dot pistol sights with bright weapons lights?

It depends on the RMR. The dual power tritium/fiber optics will washout when transition from dark to light areas. The LED with adjustable brightness works well as long as the brightness is appropriately adjusted. The biggest thing you can do to nullify this is to have cowitnessed sights. Use irons during transitions and have the RMR set to work with what the predominate light level is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep my dots turned up bright enough to see with my light on.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
Just curious how many of you use them, or feel they are a game changer?

The downside I see is.....over time they fade........do the major mfg. 'restore' the tritium for a fee?

I don't think they do it for free, but they do it at reasonable cost. My main carry gun always has them.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
I prefer a tritium front sight only so it's fairly cheap.

Yep.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,049
Posts18,482,264
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.