Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Antelope
Elk
Moose
Caribou
Whitetail

The first four have all been significantly better than whitetail for me.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Axis deer

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Moose steak, cooked by a naked 20-year old.

True story. Her dad shot a moose, she cooked a steak for me, sky clad.

Delicious.

P

DING DING DING!!! And, we have the winner!

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite is the kind that was properly cared for in the field and properly butchered.
I've had way to much crappy tasting game that wasn't cared for properly. Antelope is the worst. Warm temps and people waiting to long to get the meat cooled.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Bear tastes like **it.

Has anybody tried alligator. That’s some good **it!

Agreed can't believe all the votes for bear... Bear is sausage\kielbasa\pepperoni makins around here.

Judman;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope that your Christmas was a good one and this finds you and yours well.

As a wee point of clarification, I'll add that our black bear experience has been with Okanagan black bears which typically don't have access to a lot of carrion, garbage dumps or salmon runs. Between our family and some friends who would cut their game at our place, I'd think the sample would have been roughly 12-15 bears, so not a whole pile.

A good buddy who guided up on the north coast for bigger black bears than we have around here mentioned a very strong fish smell from many or most of them. In addition I'll say that we've got family on Vancouver Island who aren't crazy about bear meat in any form either, so there you go.

Back on the prairies, the bears who were taken off grain fields were often said to be good table fare, but that's going off what other's said and not a lot of personal experience beyond a roast or two.

We've got a "private land" season here that starts in August which is more or less for vineyard and orchard owners to have their friends deal with problem bears rather than calling the Conservation Officers. The absolute best black bear I can recall eating was likely a 2 year old shot by a contractor friend of ours who was asked to do so by the owner of the vineyard he was putting an addition onto.

Honestly the back leg he gave us smelled like grape juice before any marinating... cool

We ended up doing it as a wrapped roast after I removed the leg bone, then we did a salt, pepper and herbs de Provence sorta rub, browned it and then cooked it in a local red wine.

Anyway sir, as mentioned just a clarification on why I personally put black bear - with the correct diet - so high on the list.

All the best to you and yours in 2020.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Wild sheep ribs over a fire. Wild sheep not the range maggots. Domestic mutton is lousy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
For me, the best meat is a young wild boar fed on acorns and chestnuts.

The most expensive would be a markhor stew. 😬

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Guess I don't really have a favorite. It all can be prepared to taste dang good. Only bad wild game that I ever had was a whitetail, many years ago. And I'm pretty sure the steaks tasted like crap because the processor cut through bone, leaving me with bone in steaks. Never again.

I've had moose, elk, mule and whitetail deer, antelope, caribou, and David's deer.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For me the most consistent is pronghorn. Only had one bad one out of ~40ish.

Most inconsistent has been elk.

Beyond that proper care from the field to table is most important on any game animal.

Seeing guys haul around pronghorn in the back of a truck, hide on in the September heat for a day or more is common..Same guys love to tell you how bad they taste..damn mystery I tell ya.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bison
Moose
elk/caribou
Antelope
WT deer
Mule deer

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Antelope

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Axis
Oryx
Nilgai

IMO, axis is best by a good margin. A few of the plains games are really good as well

I agree.

Axis
Gemsbok
Nilgai
Elk
Springbok
Pronghorn

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never ate a bear outta a garbage dump, or a salmon stream. Ate lots outta Apple orchards, BlackBerry fed, huckleberry fed and spring bear, to me, my family, and friends, it's pepperoni \sausage filler. Glad some like it. Cougar is about the same, mild pork, in texture, color and taste, if that's "delicious" then I'm happy for you. I'll take, in no particular order

Oryx
Moose
Elk
Pronghorn
Caribou

To me antelope is the most underrated meat there is. Whitetail and axis is perty good, nothing beats a good beef steak treated properly.... Grin

Last edited by Judman; 12/30/19. Reason: Forgot my mtn caribou

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Dall Sheep
Caribou
Moose
Sitka Blacktail
Goat
Elk
Columbia Blacktail
Fall black bear in brown bear territory
Spring black bear

Have had bad ones of several of those high on the list, mainly from poor meat handling, and in one case from taking a shot that should have been a pass, in retrospect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only bear I’ve eaten was a young bear, from Maine, and his diet was whatever forage the big woods of Maine offers in September (this seemed to be bountiful) and the sweets he sometimes treated himself too from a bait barrel

I thought the meat was awesome

I’ve heard bear meat can be highly influenced by diet but this is my only data point

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mtn caribou and black Hawaiian sheep is damn good, especially bbq'd on kona with a cold beer...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Eland and Kudu loin on a grill at a bush camp on the Limpopo river, nothing else even comes close.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
500, I must say that is some of the finest game meat I have ever eaten.. Wildabeast(?) was right up there too.. Maybe number 1!!!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Just something about the bush and fine eating WCH, it can't be matched here.

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
That is for sure... I wish I could feel safe returning there...

Molon Labe
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,441 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,426
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.