Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I am considering building a few AR rifles for my self. I would like to get a thumper like a .458 Socom, a white .223 like the older arctic panther and more recently, an AR pistol that has been added to my want list. As far as a hobby, is it worth it to build your own AR rifle? I would like to have a better understanding of exactly how the work, etc.

Assuming it is still a fun hobby, do you all use an average lower parts kit? Are there parts you order separate and replace from the generic parts in the lower parts kit? What are your thoughts on where to buy parts, and what parts need upgraded etc?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's usually cheaper to just buy a complete lower and mate it with a complete upper.
Buying all the parts and paying shipping on them usually ends up costing a lot more. The only nice thing about assembling all the parts is you get exactly what you want.

I like to replace the trigger with something like a RR 2 stage or a LaRue MBT2S.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you feel the urge to go down that rabbit hole, why not?

I've assembled several uppers and lowers now. It get's a bit addictive (fair warning)….grin

I put in basic mil spec lower parts myself, and that's just my personal preference. Mostly stripped lowers from PSA, and AR-Stoner lower parts kits from Midway.

Uppers seem simpler to me, less small parts overall. I usually use uppers from AR Stoner and BCG's from AR Stoner or PSA.

You can generally spend as little or as much as you want/need to find your AR happiness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I've assembled several uppers and lowers now. It get's a bit addictive (fair warning)….grin

I put in basic mil spec lower parts myself, and that's just my personal preference. Mostly stripped lowers from PSA, and AR-Stoner lower parts kits from Midway.

Uppers seem simpler to me, less small parts overall. I usually use uppers from AR Stoner and BCG's from AR Stoner or PSA.

You can generally spend as little or as much as you want/need to find your AR happiness.

It becomes an addiction. Your credit card will take a beating.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks for the information. It seems that the trigger and possibly the handguard are the only real reason to replace parts in the lower parts kits that I see. I say that having not used any yet.

IC B2

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Have your builds been accurate and function well?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I say if you have to ask the question, you're not ready to be building your own

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Oakster

Yes. I haven't had any troubles. I've assembled about five lowers, and ten uppers in the last few years. They all run as they should.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
its like Lincoln logs or lego to me. Nothing to it at all. Now turning a barrel, drilling correct port, chambering, thats all back to real gunsmith work.

Putting the ready to go parts together, thats something any monkey can do and have a working accurate gun.

IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My conclusion was that building an AR was like reloading.
If you are going to do a lot of it, or are shooting for something
than average, you may benefit from doing it yourself.

If you are looking for a decent blaster, buy.

I do reload, I haven't built. Yet.

Intriguing, but not practical.

Had a recent post about knife making.
Just made my first, over $200 in that pos.
Could have bought a nice custom in 5 minutes for that $.

Prouder of mine. Custom would be better.
Probably.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

FYI
All of PSA's uppers and lowers are manufactured by Spikes Tactical

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oakster
I usually build & rebarrel my match uppers & lowers myself. They've all been great except one time I had a problematic lower that I sold with full disclosure. I trust them to win at the Nationals.

Politics is War by Other Means
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Sounds good guys! thanks for the input. I think it would be fun, but I don't see myself doing more than 5 or 6 of them. Of course I could always keep putting together different uppers for the lowers that I have!

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Lennie

FYI
All of PSA's uppers and lowers are manufactured by Spikes Tactical

Good information. I did not know that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have assembled about 12 so far. just me but I can't bring myself to call it building when I am just putting parts together.
there are more how to videos on you tube then you could view in a life time.
I have put together 8 .223/556's , 1 458 socom, 3, 7.62x39's, so far.
right now on PSA they are having some sweet sales.
would suggest you put together a pistol right off the bat. you are going to want one before very long so get it done .
I have a cart full of parts right now to put together a 300 blk pitol. just have to pull the trigger so's to speak.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They are more fun putting them together than a swing set with bad instructions. grin

It might just be putting parts together but you know when YOU did something wrong.

Makes one thing while doing it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that's a big 10-4! and you can personalize them. a slipped punch here and plyer marks on a thread protector there! grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I was looking at the sales on PSA now. Are they always running those sales year round or is this really a good time to buy?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PSA has sales all the time. right now they are out of stock on lots of things.
another site to look at is primary arms.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anymore is so much cheaper to buy PSA rifle kits they come with everything you need minus the stripped lower.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/rifle-kits.html

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 24 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,362
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.