Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
LSU is in for the fight of their lives. Clemson is disciplined, talented and well coached. Toss a coin on that game.

LSU by 40.

I'd expect a tighter margin than that. Clemson has a good defense. So does Ohio State. There's a reason that game was a dogfight. OU's defense isn't anywhere close to either even if it is better than last season, which was hot garbage. Hurtz isn't that good playing against top level D's. Take away his first few reads and contain him reasonably well, he tanks. Also, OU lost a lot on their OL. This one's not bad, but not so dominant and seasoned as last year's. I'd expect it to improve next season.

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Having watched both of the semifinal games it is apparent to me, now, that there is a tremendous difference in the athletic talent on the field. Oklahoma, the best Big 12 team by far, is not even in the discussion this year. tOSU, Clemson and LSU are leaps and bounds ahead of the entire pack. Clemson v LSU is going to be a slobber knocker. My poor little Cowboys and Mike Gundy are at the bottom of Mt. Everest and looking up. grin

Don't leave Georgia out of the discussion. They have been absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail since Kirby took over. They are loaded with talent, but Kirby hasn't been able to put it all together. And of course, there's Bama, stacked top to bottom. LSU has always had an embarrassment of talent riches. This year they finally got the offense lined out which was never going to happen under Miles, and a special QB to run it.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Having watched both of the semifinal games it is apparent to me, now, that there is a tremendous difference in the athletic talent on the field. Oklahoma, the best Big 12 team by far, is not even in the discussion this year. tOSU, Clemson and LSU are leaps and bounds ahead of the entire pack. Clemson v LSU is going to be a slobber knocker. My poor little Cowboys and Mike Gundy are at the bottom of Mt. Everest and looking up. grin

All very true, and yet there are those who still insist that the play-offs need to be expanded.

There were only three championship caliber teams this year. Some years there are five or more. Stanford in the 2015 season, Baylor and TCU in 2014 for example. Better to include too many and let them get sorted out on the field than to exclude teams that deserve to go.

Last edited by natman; 12/29/19.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
It was great seeing THE Ohio state lose last night.
Overrated with a cupcake schedule and an annoying fan base.

LSU is going to beat the brakes of Clemson if they both play like they did yesterday.

Let me hazard a guess....myopic SEC fan? smirk

When a fanbase insists on putting THE before the school name, ya I'll laugh when they lose.

Thought so.

Please explain of the beatdown Clemson put on Alabama (SEC) last year and yet LSU is going to "beat the brakes of Clemson" ... whatever that means.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm not a SEC fan, my Sooners got their AZZ handed to them. I do like Burreaux and coach O. I don't think anybody is in their class this year. Ohier state? The only OSU is Okie State.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I predict ... tigers win the national championship.

sucker bet. which tigers?

grin
Precisely!
To your question; the bayou variety.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
. . . Don't leave Georgia out of the discussion. They have been absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail since Kirby took over. They are loaded with talent, but Kirby hasn't been able to put it all together. And of course, there's Bama, stacked top to bottom. LSU has always had an embarrassment of talent riches. This year they finally got the offense lined out which was never going to happen under Miles, and a special QB to run it.

The verdict is still out with me on Georgia. I expect Baylor to give them all they want, and would not be surprised if Baylor were to win. I equate Georgia and Oklahoma as co-equals . . . but not on the top shelf with Clemson, LSU (this year is an anomaly,) Alabama and Ohio St. (all with regard to recruiting, athletic talents = 5*'s, etc)

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by natman

All very true, and yet there are those who still insist that the play-offs need to be expanded.

There were only three championship caliber teams this year. Some years there are five or more. Stanford in the 2015 season, Baylor and TCU in 2014 for example. Better to include too many and let them get sorted out on the field than to exclude teams that deserve to go.

Oh, I am all for an 8-team playoff. You never know for sure til they play the game on the field. (I thought Oklahoma was going to beat LSU, until after I watched them play.) So many externals can affect a college football team at any time. Take the Five Power Conference Champions and vote on the other three if you like. A committee can seed them 1-8, then start the playoffs at the home field of the highest seeded teams. The semifinals and finals can then proceed just like the current bowl system works.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
After seeing OU stomp USC early I thought they would be in the final game. Dayom. That Gurleyman will fall to LSU though.

LSU defense wont let Girleyman run.

Yep. LSU will put a hurting on the Girly Man!

And the LSU QB is a better passer and runner.

LSU wins by 21or more!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
. . . Don't leave Georgia out of the discussion. They have been absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail since Kirby took over. They are loaded with talent, but Kirby hasn't been able to put it all together. And of course, there's Bama, stacked top to bottom. LSU has always had an embarrassment of talent riches. This year they finally got the offense lined out which was never going to happen under Miles, and a special QB to run it.

The verdict is still out with me on Georgia. I expect Baylor to give them all they want, and would not be surprised if Baylor were to win. I equate Georgia and Oklahoma as co-equals . . . but not on the top shelf with Clemson, LSU (this year is an anomaly,) Alabama and Ohio St. (all with regard to recruiting, athletic talents = 5*'s, etc)

Georgia vs Baylor should be a good game, if Baylor’s QB is healthy. If he goes down like in the last game, Georgia will pound them. Oklahoma wasn’t near as good as Georgia.

And The Tide will embarrass Harbaugh and Michigan.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Georgia vs Baylor should be a good game, if Baylor’s QB is healthy. If he goes down like in the last game, Georgia will pound them. Oklahoma wasn’t near as good as Georgia.

Yep and more Yep!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oh, I am all for an 8-team playoff. You never know for sure til they play the game on the field. (I thought Oklahoma was going to beat LSU, until after I watched them play.) So many externals can affect a college football team at any time. Take the Five Power Conference Champions and vote on the other three if you like. A committee can seed them 1-8, then start the playoffs at the home field of the highest seeded teams. The semifinals and finals can then proceed just like the current bowl system works.

I am not for an 8 team playoff. There have never been 8 championship caliber teams at the end of the regular season.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I am not for an 8 team playoff. There have never been 8 championship caliber teams at the end of the regular season.

You are correct Sir!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
DraftKings was the first to post an over/under, which came in at 71 and dipped down to 70.5 right away. The spread at DraftKings got as high as LSU -6.5, before getting immediately bet down to the current number of LSU -5.5. It never touched the key number of 7.

FWIW.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who says or agrees with the statement ". . . There have never been 8 championship caliber teams at the end of the regular season. . . " is merely expressing subjective opinion or conjecture. The only objective method of proving who is a champion is by playing the games on the field of play amongst the champions of the equal Power 5 Conferences, plus three "filler teams" to expand the tournament bracket to a manageable eight teams.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8 team playoff of the Conference Champions is the only thing that makes any sense at all.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you were to be fair, and have an 8 team playoff, you would have to have 3 SEC teams.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep and more Yep!

Great minds think alike. 🤠

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

My comment was solely addressing yours about the tremendous difference in the athletic talent on the field of the top tier, not how well those teams are performing overall this season or even recently. Georgia and Bama are loaded. They have the athletes to compete with anyone. Their problem isn't being out talented except perhaps at the QB position which is a difference making one. Advantage LSU there.

Speaking of Baylor, consider how well they are coached and played OU like their hair was on fire when they met earlier this season. OU took over in the second half which is what often happens when a more talented team plays a lesser talented, but well coached team that gave it their best shot. Georgia will have a massive talent advantage over Baylor and should be motivated after last season's Sugar Bowl upset. Considering the recruiting disadvantage Rhule walked into at Baylor, he has done a remarkable job in short order. They chose well.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Seems to me it's the better coached team with less or equal talent makes changes at halftime and kicks tail the second half.

Nick Sabin is the best at that im thinking but usually the OU and OSU coaches do it too.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/29/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
I'm not seeing where a fairly new coach at Baylor had near the recruiting power of either Ok team.

Seems he must know what hes doing with what hes got.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 817 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.