Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dutch
I have a hard time relating to the whole "will power to drop carbs" thing. I stop eating grain and taters, and I feel better. Blood pressure is lower. Weight is lower. Stamina is up. Joints feel better.

Yeah, I'd love a great big bowl of spaghetti with elk meat ball sauce..... but I'd rather feel good! So ditch the spaghetti (and no, "zoodles" do NOT substitute for spaghetti...).

We grew spaghetti squash to replace spaghetti. I think it’s around 5 grams of carbs. We don’t eat a ton of it but it is a nice substitute.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin
Bris,

You do realize that a good number of big game hunters workout and adhere to a strict diet for over six months of the year to be able to perform at a high level to be successful at something they love, right?

The reason for this time of the year: January gives you six months until July. In six months you can adequately be ready for whatever tags you might draw. Usually we will kick the diet for hunting season, and go ape [bleep] for the holidays. Then do it again. Again, it’s not about losing weight, it’s about being able to walk up and down mountains and kill stuff. Which I really like to do.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Don't need to eat nothing if ya on a diet. Take a vitamin pill, a laxative,...and schitt 'till you can get back in ya britches.

That's all they're is too it.

Exactly.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I have a hard time relating to the whole "will power to drop carbs" thing. I stop eating grain and taters, and I feel better. Blood pressure is lower. Weight is lower. Stamina is up. Joints feel better.

Yeah, I'd love a great big bowl of spaghetti with elk meat ball sauce..... but I'd rather feel good! So ditch the spaghetti (and no, "zoodles" do NOT substitute for spaghetti...).

We grew spaghetti squash to replace spaghetti. I think it’s around 5 grams of carbs. We don’t eat a ton of it but it is a nice substitute.

We like spaghetti squash too but I've never grown it. Is it easy to grow?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A well balanced diet WITH some whole grains is recommended by almost every doctor in the country unless you have underlying issues. But the food pyramid IS bass ackwards. So Smoke and Dutch are probably both right.

As for me, warrior diet with LOW carbs. Warrior diet for me is, cup of black coffee when I wake up. Two hard boiled eggs with some vegetable juice about 1.5 hours after I wake up. A healthy, low sugar yogurt for a snack, a salad for lunch, banana and square of dark chocolate for a snack.

Now the fun starts. Consume 1000-1500 calories in the last 4 hours of the day eating a salad, steamed vegetables, cheese and meat of some kind. Some nuts of some kind for desert if needed. Also do some carb cycling every two days, so dinner might have some sweet taters or a slice of whole grain toast or some such.

Try to avoid processed foods, (I cheat eating cheese, but I love that stuff), don't add any straight sugar to your diet, (I cheat with my dark chocolate, but it is 72% so added sugar is minimal), find the right balance of macro's that suits you.

As others have said, when you see the rewards and still enjoy food, controlling you diet can be a real pleasure!!!

YMMV

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

We like spaghetti squash too but I've never grown it. Is it easy to grow?

Very easy to grow. I just saved some seeds from a squash from the store and started them in pots. I moved them into the garden when they were 4-5” tall and placed straw around the plants. We trellised ours with hog panels to keep them off the ground.

Usual suspects will be after them, squash beetles and vine borers, but they grew great. I think we got 21 squash off of 4 plants and we didn’t have a great growing season this year. I gave some plants to a friend and his also did pretty good.

The trellis is the way to go with vining plants. It was much easier to deal with them.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I'm not so convinced that all people process all foods exactly the same, and need exactly the same diet. Wife does the low carb/Keto thing and it's the only way of eating that allows her to feel good. Even minor deviations like a cookie will affect her badly. I do high fat/low carb most of the time, but once a week or so I hit the buffet with the boys from work, and lay waste to it! I'll have 5-6 things off the dessert table, after a couple plates of food. Doesn't bother me a bit, feel great! Wife would be a wreck for 3 days if she ate half that much. I can eat a burger if I want and feel just fine, she'll feel like crap if she eats the buns. Dont know exactly why it works that way, but there it is.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why don't you, and report back. I have a friend who's diabetic. I've watched him eat a bowl of oats for breakfast many times. An hour later, we were either fishing or hunting, no need for him to measure his blood sugar.

How you feel is not a measure of blood sugar levels, that's why we have instuments. Unless it's astronomical a blood sugar spike doesn't necessarily that you fall into into a coma and need hospitalization. Its the effects of constant blood sugar and insulin spikes over time that causes damage.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yes, I understand all that. Did you really expect that I would run out and test my blood sugar to answer your question?

Don't believe me, all of this can be looked up in a few seconds Whole grain oats, especially when combined with protein and fat, do not cause blood sugar spikes and have a few different benefits.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
To hell with diets, keep playing and working hard and eat what you want.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Texson2
Love Sardines❤️ . Hard to overeat if you eat sardines. Good Luck!

No cheese, whole wheat crackers, mayo or BJ?

If I have to choose between mayo or a BJ, I'll take a BJ every time.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

No it isn't. lol

Camp is where you make it.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I understand all that. Did you really expect that I would run out and test my blood sugar to answer your question?

Don't believe me, all of this can be looked up in a few seconds Whole grain oats, especially when combined with protein and fat, do not cause blood sugar spikes and have a few different benefits.

Maybe you should test what you read. You may be surprised by the result. Combining grains with protein and/or fat does slow absorption and keeps sugar spikes down but that's not the point.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm within 12 lbs of what I weighed for football in 11th grade, and within 6 lbs of what I weighed when I graduated college.

I'll keep doing what I always have- lower on small sugary carbs, higher on complex fiber, plentey protein, dont worry about natures fats, dont drink stupid sodas as a hobby, and be active every day.

Notice you are gaining some before it becomes a lot.

How you guys let yourselves get so fat and out of shape is a mystery to me. Have some dignity.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DBT

Maybe you should test what you read. You may be surprised by the result. Combining grains with protein and/or fat does slow absorption and keeps sugar spikes down but that's not the point.

Yes, the point is, whole grain oats do not cause blood sugar spikes.

And when someone says "cereal is the same as soda and candy" it's an ignorant statement.

Not all cereals are the same.

I get my blood tested at least once or twice a year including A1c. Always in the normal range, even though I have whole grain oats just about every morning.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, the point is, whole grain oats do not cause blood sugar spikes.

And when someone says "cereal is the same as soda and candy" it's an ignorant statement.

Not all cereals are the same.

I eat the hell out of oats, raw in fact with cold full fat cows milk with a banana or two slice up, also eat whole grain rising wheat bread
Wife bakes, I don't have any blood sugar issues to date, iirc last labs read 98 fasting.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Originally Posted by JefeMojado
No it isn't; sugar is sugar. Does not matter if it's a donut, snickers bar, teaspoon of honey, banana or grapes...….it's all sugar.

This.

I haven't eaten potatoes pasta, desserts, bread or fruit since May.
Pretty much all I eat is meat, vegetables and salads.
Snacks consist of jerky, nuts, cheese, salame etc...
I haven't felt this good in a long time.
So many people attempt the low carb lifestyle, but lack the willpower to succeed.

This. Didnt read the rest of the thread, but this guy gets it.

sugar is sugar. If you are going to eat it, make sure its mixed in with fibers.

Meat & salad/veggie is a winning combo.

For those who like to "follow a plan or have it explained, you cant do better than Mark Sissen.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I need to give up sugar. It’s really my only vice, but it’s a doozy. I have a 36-48 oz Mtn Dew habit every day Mon-Fri and another 24 oz each Sat & Sun. Not to mention candy bars and other crap. I want to drop 15 lbs and get in to some sort of daily routine physical activity.

Most any adult could drop 15 lbs in a month easily if they cut the carbs. Step 1 is stop buying it. Step 2 is find a suitbable alternative and get into that habit. Daily routine is the key. Hike/ vigorous walk is almost as good as a hardcore jog/run. It gets you 80% of the way there with less stress on joints.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
If you do a 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb macro ratio, and eat under 2k calories a day with 600 burned as exercise, 15lbs is a two week affair if just starting.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tzone

No it isn't. lol

Well, is yellow squash ok on a diet, Tz?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Someone make a big batch of popcorn, OH! wait. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.