-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They turn off at the feeders here with the advent of warm weather, so also have not had the attendance I usually have. The colder it gets, the more irruptive species I get...Redpolls, siskins, and Pine and Evening Grosbeaks all show up when it's colder than heck...not a sign of them this year.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've seeing a pretty normal amount of birds in my area but they haven't been visiting our feeder as much the past couple of weeks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We had a couple inches of snow a week ago and the birds were swarming. Some of it's melted since then and the bird numbers are down. They'll be back if we get more snow.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I live smack dab in the middle of the Pacific Flyway and you ought to see the grinds I drive by. Just yesterday up in the Butte sink area there are literally millions of geese, swans, and ducks of every variety feeding out in the flooded rice fields. When the snows and speckled bellies get up it's like a huge white cloud noisy as hell honking like crazy. It's incredible.

Same thing down at the Sutter bypass. Brazilians of waterfowl. Good year for them I think.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
does no snow cause the sparrows to disappear?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weather patterns are shifted around from last few years. Do not know if that is a problem or not. Usually see lots of crows and robins but not this year.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/...s-something-affecting-their-populations/

Last edited by mtnsnake; 12/30/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Using half the birdseed I would normally use for this time of the year. I haven’t seen a cardinal in weeks, I normally have a good amount of them. I don’t know what the Hells going on.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Chickadees,Blue Jays and Whiskey Jacks,Doves,Grouse,Woodpeckers on the fat bags.Fill up the feeder every other day.Deer bump the feeder to eat birdseed.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Morewood
I live smack dab in the middle of the Pacific Flyway and you ought to see the grinds I drive by. Just yesterday up in the Butte sink area there are literally millions of geese, swans, and ducks of every variety feeding out in the flooded rice fields. When the snows and speckled bellies get up it's like a huge white cloud noisy as hell honking like crazy. It's incredible.

Same thing down at the Sutter bypass. Brazilians of waterfowl. Good year for them I think.

Brazilians? Cool.

We're getting pretty frozen here so most of the waterfowl have left. Cranes a long time ago.

One less dickie bird around after this morning. Probably a junco. Was in the chicken yard bending over putting feed in their feeder and heard a screech. Looked up just as a Cooper's hawk took a bird to the ground no more than 10' away, picked it up and flew off to one of the neighbor's trees. Wish I had been looking at the actual hit and wish more that it had been a starling. Them figgers like to get in the one open chicken yard and eat Rosita's food.

Plenty of pinyon jays, so many and so gang like my neighbor calls them the Crips. Quail, scrub jays, juncos, a Townsend's solitaire that comes for water, and the magpies too. Can't forget the illegal alien doves too.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No free handouts at my place

This ain’t no soup kitchen round here

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if they've all been blasted east by the big blows from CA to NY. It's rather normal around here as we've not seen any major weather, just warmer than usual. Cool, not cold in NW MT.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This is interesting,I just mentioned over the weekend to Mrs Rong that the birds weren't hitting the suet as much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same with our suet. Other than squirrels from the woods next door the birds are few and far between. Bird traffic seems to pick up more a week or so after a good snowfall event. Was at a local archery shop Saturday; the owner has 3 or 4 big seed feeders outside the shop and he also mentioned the lack of birds on them. I was there for an hour and a half for my step grand daughters archery league and the only thing on them was one squirrel. At least squirrel season is open until the end of February.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 10 years ago I saw a starling in my neighborhood and had trouble believing it. Lately I have been seeing lots of them and many huge flocks. We used to have huge flocks of Bohemian waxwings hammering the mountain ash and elderberries. Today I saw a medium-sized flock of them for the first time this season... there were a number of starlings with them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As the years pass, I think I'm seeing fewer and fewer of the spring/summer insect consumers and put a lot blame on pesticide use. Even killed off some of my kid's herps one summer when we were late taking notice of some community wide grasshopper control. Winter birds, it just seems to depend on temps and snow pack. Not seen a robin around the house in a couple months. Thirty miles south with open ground, they're everywhere.

A somewhat more temporary effect is how many hawks might be plying the neighborhood. Have about 2 Coopers, 1 Gos, and 1 Sharp Shin doing daily visits to Cookie's feeder poles. Nothing pays any attention to Red tails.

Sharp shin a couple days back
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Little guy goes to ground and tries to run down quail hiding in our hedge.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/30/19.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
About 10 years ago I saw a starling in my neighborhood and had trouble believing it. Lately I have been seeing lots of them and many huge flocks. We used to have huge flocks of Bohemian waxwings hammering the mountain ash and elderberries. Today I saw a medium-sized flock of them for the first time this season... there were a number of starlings with them.

Once the starlings show up, they do nothing but multiply and push the other species out.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems about right around here if anything maybe a few more winter birds than average. I haven't put any feed out yet but we've got tons of bramble producing shrubs all around us. Wild rose, hawthorn, salmon berry etc. and there's still lots of seed on birch trees. I'll put out a feeder or two in a month or so. Juncos, chickadees, varied thrushes, blue jays and a few types of finches are the most common.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Windfall
I just started my count this morning in FL. and have 12 different species already. Mid 70's or a snowstorm up north, which would you pick if you could migrate? Seriously, the bird count nation wide is way down by like a third with no good explanation that I've heard.

If you have red squirrels out your way, get rid of them if you want birds. When dad bought our place up north we didn't see or hear any birds, but the place was full of red squirrels. A target rich environment for a kid (me) with a new .22 rifle. A couple years later all the birds were back.

Loss of habitat is the explanation.
There are too many people.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, I’m the guy who goes by “Birdwatcher” and might be more informed than some. Are there conspicuously less birds this year nationwide? That’s like predicting climate trends on the basis of local observations. I simply don’t know.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is painfully obvious here that bird numbers have plummeted in the last five years.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 57 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,688
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.