Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
20 years ago today! I remember we were all on call at district maintenance ops. Ready for the armaggedon ! ROFL! We had been fed so much stuff, we didn’t know what to believe.

I do remember standing out under the parking awning at district HQ at midnight with the public affairs officer (old former TV newsman from Beaumont, Lt. Pat!!!) when it struck 12 sounded like I imagine Tet sounded!!! Over in the barrio across the highway!! Man!!! All manner of fireworks and assorted small arms fire. You knew exactly who had the 30 rd. Mags!!!! LOL!

We could hear spent rounds hitting our whse, mech shop and sign shop rooves. We decided to move indoors. Just in case I had a Russian SKS and one of those chinee chest bandoleers out front in my truck. Fun times!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've seen tombstones that were redone, the 19 was marked on them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had toilet paper.

Idgaf about peoples’ computers

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I was in Germany on Y2K eve. People were very nervous that there would be a nuclear attack by malfunctioning Russian computers. Strange indeed.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I always thought that Y2K was a metal zipper.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Y2K sure had the panic button ready to be pushed.

I was surveying in the mountains then. It was VERY busy. People buying off the grid property in the mountains to bug out to after mankind shut down one second after midnight.

Lots of folks were disappointed it didn't happen!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As a joke I taped a slide rule to the outside of my office door (I’m an engineer) with a note taped to it that said “For use in case of Y2K”. The joke was on me as a bunch of young engineers came into my office and asked me what it was.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had toilet paper.

Yeah! My boss ( engineer) had to explain to me WTF was "suppose” to happen and all!!! My answer to him was, "so?"

Last edited by kaywoodie; 12/31/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I understand it took a lot of work to prevent a meltdown.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My late brother got all worried, and was just waiting for the curtain to fall. I made fun of him, and called him up real early the morning of January 1, 2000 and asked him if the world was still turning.

I didn't see that there was a need to worry about anything, and there wasn't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McInnis
As a joke I taped a slide rule to the outside of my office door (I’m an engineer) with a note taped to it that said “For use in case of Y2K”. The joke was on me as a bunch of young engineers came into my office and asked me what it was.

Just like most young people don't know what mumps and measles are; the elimination of some things are a blessing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I was smarter than most. I convinced my wife we needed to build a safe house. Just by chance it was built on my hunting property and turned into my hunting shack. PERFECT! Pretty good for a dumb farmer huh. Ed k

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine owned a gun shop in Austin at the time. He told me he made 5 times more in Y2K than any other year. He said the number of people trying to get refunds the next year on stuff they'd bought a year before was extremely high.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had toilet paper.

Ditto - right to the bottom line...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Generators were flying off the shelves here. Afterwards, the local classifieds were filled with generators at half price.

I worked with a guy who got into the techie, computer stuff, way before the average person. Prior to Y2K, at break-time one day, several people at my work were fretting and worrying about the nearing end of the world due to Y2K, and the techie-guy said "Nothing is going to happen." Turns out, he was spot on. A lot of people sure believed there would be a disaster though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was responsible for all desktop computer and desktop application compliance in my company. A major retailer. I spent the prior two years recieving validation and\or applying patches from all hardware and software vendors. Pc's needed a bios patch to take the date field from 2 digits to 4 digits and I found a universal fix. I remember microsoft excel for example had to resolve for peoples older spreadhseets and addressed this on date formulas by just picking out a cutoff date for pointing to either 1900 or 2000's. It seemes to have worked very well.

I was confident all would be well and told my siblings and parents.......... who decided Art Bell had more credibility.

One of my sisters bought buckets and buckets of grains. I asked her what the hell are you supposed to do with that- pound it into tortilla's?

Dad really ticked me off. He bought a huge water cistern. I asked him why? He said the govenrment might not be able to turn the water on. I pointed to a water tower on the hill and asked how the hell would gravity fail? He looked at me curious for a moment and then I think felt a little stupid.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Generators were flying off the shelves here. Afterwards, the local classifieds were filled with generators at half price.

I wish I had bought one of those half priced generators that were listed around here instead of waiting 2 years for an ice storm to hit and then buying one at full price then losing it in a divorce!!

I remember laying on the couch watching the balls drop and waiting for something to happen, nothing happened just as I had suspected so I got up and went to bed.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Was working at a police department. Each district got issued a couple extra cases of pistol ammunition and shotgun ammuniton.

Our Tactical Squad and Vice Squad entry teams were made to work 7pm to 3am, and were geared up and standing by for deployment for unknown occurrences.

Our Communications (Dispatchers and phones) were at extra staffing with staff assigned to a backup location where they still had analog equipment that had been retained specifically until after New Years in case the primary system crashed.

Lots of gunfire in the city at midnight, but that was a normal occurrence every year.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lonny

I worked with a guy who got into the techie, computer stuff, way before the average person. Prior to Y2K, at break-time one day, several people at my work were fretting and worrying about the nearing end of the world due to Y2K, and the techie-guy said "Nothing is going to happen." Turns out, he was spot on. A lot of people sure believed there would be a disaster though.

On the computer thing...

All anyone had to do was go under the time and date settings and set it to like 11:59pm on Dec. 31, 1999... Hit "Apply".... and wait to see if your computer self destructed like a Mission Impossible opening scene... smile

It didn't? You're GTG. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,216
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.