-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm on the brink of purchasing a Hawkeye and I'm trying to justify spending the coin.

With the advent of the Lyman and Teslong Borescopes, is the Hawkeye still worth the extra money?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know about the Hawkeye, other than very good reviews. I do have a Teslong and it allows me to see, take a picture or video of anything I want to see in a barrel. It has opened my eyes so to speak.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have no experience with the Hawkeye scope but spent all afternoon today with a Teslong and was amazed and pleased.... $50 on Amazon, amazing

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Hawkeye is worth the extra money if you feel the need to see every microscopic detail of your bore, which is why Mr. Loony OCD bought one over 15 years ago (and upgraded to the new and improved model a couple years ago).

From what I have seen of the Teslong photos, it will provide as much info as the average loony can use. May have to order one myself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The Hawkeye is worth the extra money if you feel the need to see every microscopic detail of your bore, which is why Mr. Loony OCD bought one over 15 years ago (and upgraded to the new and improved model a couple years ago).

From what I have seen of the Teslong photos, it will provide as much info as the average loony can use. May have to order one myself.

I believe we will soon seen an article about how to properly use and interpret a borescope, along with a comparison. I can feel it!

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don’t have a Hawkeye and I’m not a gun writer but I can say that I can’t imagine an average Joe needing more than the $50 Teslong. I bought one a few weeks ago and it seems more than adequate to me.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone have any info on the 'new and improved' Teslong that sells for around $70?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Anyone have any info on the 'new and improved' Teslong that sells for around $70?

Pretty sure it’s just made to be compatible with an iPhone. Same camera.

Brad
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Let’s Go Brandon
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by LowerRiver
Originally Posted by MickeyD

Pretty sure it’s just made to be compatible with an iPhone. Same camera.

From what I've read, the unit I'm referring to is for Android and has a solid rod about 21" long that is marked in inches along its length. Supposed to be easier to control rotation.
Just curious if anyone has used one and their feedback.
I believe there's also a wireless wifi version out now.

Last edited by MickeyD; 01/01/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To answer the question asked, I'd say no.

I have 2 Gradient Hawkeye, two extra bright lights with chargers - It's easy enough to get more light out of a Mini Maglite cheaply but the color temperature is not so controlled - and 1 right angle eyepiece for a fair investment although bought at a considerable discount from list. I wouldn't have bought except the discount was enough that I could send them down the road and call my use a rental at a reasonable fee.

Then again I also continue to use a 35P although it's no fun when the wind is blowing. Our local range, Fremont County Sportsman's Club setup is no problem but the stock out of the box setup can't handle the wind.

Seems to me prices on E Bay for the Hawkeye (and for the 35P) are falling. I'd call that a sign.

So my advice is buy a less expensive one and if it's not perfectly satisfactory step up. I'm betting cheaper would be perfectly satisfactory except for ego boost. Maybe next year something will be cheaper and better too.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 01/01/20.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I find the Teslong easy to use and certainly affordable. It has its quirks (like rotating in the rifling) but it is certainly a good tool.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Always wanted a Hawkeye, but I'm gonna settle for a Teslong instead......... whistle

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

What Mule Deer said - I’m a smith so I look for things a normal person might not know to look for.

But for Cooper fouling, either would work, I plan to order a Teslong at some point, but right now I have the latest Hawkeye.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,890
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.