Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#14423513 01/01/20
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Jake bought a couple of LED lights for the machine shed in the front area where most of the light is needed most.

Over $15 each, and he says it make radio static. Have any, and do you like them?[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We have all LEDs in our home. Seems I’m never changing bulbs anymore so that’s enough reason for me to like them.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Same here. We went to LED bulbs when we remodeled eight years ago and have had only one burn out. They cost a LOT more back then, but maybe they were better made. Like anything else these days, LED bulbs are cheap - and Chinese. Caviar empty, as they say.

BTW, I have not noticed any kind of interference from them. The old fluorescent tubes, yes.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

We leave the porch lights on the driveway side of our house turned on from dusk to dawn every night. We used incandescent bulbs for years and had to replace one or the other every couple of months or so. Replaced them both with LED bulbs last time one burned out It's been at least two years now and both LEDs are still working fine. Replacing the wife's night lights she has scattered around the house as they burn out now with LEDs. Just replaced a 3-way bulb in the lamp next to my computer desk with a 3-way LED last week. Been considering maybe replacing the garage lights with these at some point... 4 ft LED Shop Light 5500 Lumens.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I replaced our tube shop lights with those a while back. HUGE improvement. Brighter, instant on even in cold weather, no hum.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do a search for UFO LED's on ebay.
I have these in my shop.
Way bright.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

We leave the porch lights on the driveway side of our house turned on from dusk to dawn every night. We used incandescent bulbs for years and had to replace one or the other every couple of months or so. Replaced them both with LED bulbs last time one burned out It's been at least two years now and both LEDs are still working fine. Replacing the wife's night lights she has scattered around the house as they burn out now with LEDs. Just replaced a 3-way bulb in the lamp next to my computer desk with a 3-way LED last week. Been considering maybe replacing the garage lights with these at some point... 4 ft LED Shop Light 5500 Lumens.

I have some similar to those. They're hard wired to a switch, though, no pull chains. They work great, lots of light and no hum.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
At best prices they cost 4-5 tiems as much, it stands to reason tat they will last longer. Do they last 4-5... or 8 times as long as advertised? Not in my experience.

The CFL things were way worse. They last forever, I have some running for a decade, but they cycle poorly. For on/off environs, teh CFL sucked. For low wattage always on, they were fine.

Like ost things chinese, I am assuming LEDs vary tremendously in QC and components. IME the budget ones last longer but by no means meet the advertising claims.

YMMV

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plus, very little to no heat from LEDs.

Ed
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I put a half dozen 100 watt Wally World house brand in the garage.

Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.......

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buying some today when I go to Lowe’s.

Last edited by lastround; 01/01/20. Reason: Sp

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
At best prices they cost 4-5 tiems as much, it stands to reason tat they will last longer. Do they last 4-5... or 8 times as long as advertised? Not in my experience.

Checking prices at Home depot's website incandescent bulbs come in at about $.97/each. LED's at $1.24 each when buying packs of 4 or more. Your information might have been accurate 10 years ago.

In my experience they probably last 10X as long and burn 1/5 the electricity while giving off no heat. Like anything some of them burn out much earlier than expected. But the same was true with older incandescent bulbs. You'd get one of those that would only last a few days occasionally. I gradually switched over about 6 years ago. Altogether we have nearly 50 bulbs in our home. I've only replaced one bulb in the last 6 years. We used to replace 2-3 every month.

Last edited by JMR40; 01/01/20.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was remodeling our camp trailer a few years ago, I tossed all the old lights and went with LED's throughout. They're brighter and cut the battery drain considerably.

― George Orwell

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've got them throughout my camper trailer now too. Quite the upgrade for sure. I've started replacing the bulbs in the house when necessary as well.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We have gone all LED around our house and shop. The 4 ft LED shop lights have been great so far! Much better in all respects than the shop lights they replaced. I bought myself some more for work bench and storage shed that I need to install. In the house, I haven't been as lucky. I've lost most of the cheap LED Walmart bulbs already (didn't seem all that cheap when I bought them!). I have replaced those with premium brand LED bulbs (that still aren't cheap), but I seem to be getting fewer lumens than when these bulbs were first installed. Wish I still had a lumen meter to test this. Anyone else noticed the lights getting dimmer?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went LED about three years ago, just counted 35 either 5.5/9 watt equal to 45/60 watt standard bulbs.

Utilitech from either Lowes or HD, can't remember but I have only replaced 5 at the most and they were cheap.

It bugs me to have different light color so I just replaced every incandescent and fluorescent in the house at once, bought a few extra boxes and offered the old bulbs to my daughters in college who could care less and wanted cheap light.

I have no regrets and have had none of the issues that you have experienced.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've noticed my eyes getting dimmer. Is that the same thing?

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've noticed my eyes getting dimmer. Is that the same thing?

I've been worrying about that too! But the optician said I only have indications of cataracts so far. I know it's coming.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
House.....all LED, Both campers.....all LED, one pole barn.....all LED! Added an LED light bar to our POLARIS Ranger, wow....nice to be able to see at night! So, yeah.....we got’m. memtb

Last edited by memtb; 01/01/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only down side that I have found is using LED's in the garage door opener light. It can interfere with the signal somehow from what I've read. Incandescent bulbs only there. I am amazed at the lack of heat coming off these LED bulbs. I ran one for three days in a floor lamp when we were out for the weekend and it was barely warm to the touch. I don't think that lighting is a big drain on the power bill, but if you can be using 9 watts with an LED instead of 100 with an incandescent bulb, why wouldn't you?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,368
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.