Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There was a place here that I used to coyote hunt on. Farm was sold, and new owners were city folks, who told me they didn't want anyone shooting the animals. They got them some chickens, ducks for the pond, goats for the pasture, and some little bunnies to hop around the yard. A year later, I get a call........................we'd like you to come and shoot some coyotes, as we don't have anymore rabbits, chickens or ducks...........the coyotes done ate them all.

If hogs get bad enough, and someone wants them gone, they'll get serious about doing it.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It ain't just Texas.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's a tough situation for sure. ..... You could hire a helicopter and hunt 3 days a week and you wouldn't control the population now. Nothing short of poison will do the trick.
That just amazes me. Back East, the early farmers/settlers would release hogs, let them reproduce and every now & then round a bunch of them up and drive them into town for slaughter. But the East doesn't have 1/2 the problem with ferals that Texas does. In most of the East, there aren't any. Apparently they were wiped out after the free range days.

Why is it so much harder to get rid of them in Texas?

It sounds like wild feral hogs are tough to get rid of no matter where they are found, at least according to sources quoted in this article:
Feral Hogs On Montana's Northern Border

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It's a tough situation for sure. ..... You could hire a helicopter and hunt 3 days a week and you wouldn't control the population now. Nothing short of poison will do the trick.
That just amazes me. Back East, the early farmers/settlers would release hogs, let them reproduce and every now & then round a bunch of them up and drive them into town for slaughter. But the East doesn't have 1/2 the problem with ferals that Texas does. In most of the East, there aren't any. Apparently they were wiped out after the free range days.

You ever been to Texas? I mean real Texas ,not Austin, or SA. Though there are a lot of swine in both those cities.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I get a kick out of the guys who said the cold winters would protect northern climes. Ever hear of Russia, bonehead? GD

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There isn’t a square foot of the lease I’m on that isn’t rooted up. It hurts the cow and deer populations

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by jwall
? ? ? ?

" Good News " ? per the cost of hog hunting in Texas. ?????

I didn't read anything about a LOW license fee or a FREE feral hog hunting season in Texas.
I know, I know, it's not the TGFD it's the landowners. WELL.......

I understand YOUR ? in the OP.

The essence of that " Houston Chronicle " article is Talk, Talk, Talk.

IF the Texians seriously wanted to reduce or eradicate feral hogs >>> QUIT charging an outrageous $$$$$$.

Alright Texians -- FLAME on. I can take it. Get Real or SHUT UP.

Jerry --> an Arkansan close enuff to help IF you are serious.

When the whitetail deer population began explode here in the late 1980's, a lot of farmers were claiming crop damage, and I know it did happen, although probably not as much as some of them said. Anyway, the KDFWR's answer was to tell the farmers to allow hunters to come in and kill the deer. That did not suit too well with most farmers, as most of them did not want to open up their land to hunters, unless they knew who it was. I was farming back then, and had experienced some crop damage myself, and being a hunter, I figured if the problem got serious enough, I'd thin the herd out myself.

My point in this.........2 things.......the state's wildlife people look to make money first, and that means that if one wants to hunt, one must pay. Same thing with most landowners, as they are looking for something out it too. Out of state hunters coming into Kentucky and leasing land to hunt on has driven the price of hunting up here, and the days of free hunting are long gone, unless you're lucky enough to have family who own land.

As a landowner, I can't blame someone for making money off their land, as that's their right to do so. BUT......that landowner then should not complain that animals are causing them a problem, when they are making money off that animal. Same way with the state, if they're going to make a big deal out of the damage that hogs are causing, then they need to ease the restrictions on hunting them.

yup....my sentiments exactly

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
You ever been to Texas? I mean real Texas ,not Austin, or SA. Though there are a lot of swine in both those cities.
I haven't the slightest clue. But it does seem like there must be something significantly different than, say Iowa or Illinois.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwall
It ain't just Texas.

Yep, here in Florida the trophy fees are like African Game..well, the cheap stuff anyway..

Swine In THe Pines fees

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Hanco,
I have a bucket list hunt to shoot a hog.
How about letting me come down and help you thin some out ?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I kill more than a few pigs every year, between me and the ranch hands we kill about 600 pigs a year, give or take a few, our ranch rule is shoot them when and where you see them, then pick them up and take them to the dump, as for paid hunts, it costs more in time to do them than they are worth.

Rio7

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I know they can and do survive in a lot of different places, but I'm thinking there's a reason they do so much better down in Texas,Florida and places like that. Montana or Alberta aren't Texas/Florida, and while they can certainly survive here it's going to be a much tougher go. I see articles posted out here too about this wild boar "emergency" strangely enough always written by some guy or group that is "researching the problem" and probably needs a few more years of government funding to complete the study.

I've seen exactly one wild boar in the 12+ years I've lived here, and that's one more than most have seen. I think I'll hold off panicking for a little while longer.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
We recently left our lease in Breckinridge, Tx for another area. Ferals there will and have nearly destroyed the place. We spent the better part of the last two seasons killing pigs...deer have moved on. No more turkeys and deer on game cams are rarely seen. Ranch owner is aged and stopped raising cattle so pig population is incredible. I killed six the last weekend there and I was by myself. Worms and buzzards gotta eat too!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree with Rio7 about bringing in outside hog hunters. It's a whole different dynamic and a PITA unless you're set up for it. And, getting set up takes time and costs money. Time IS money. So, why should a rancher become a free host of a hoard of outsiders running rampant over his land. If you let them on the place, you gotta manage them, lest they leave gates open, create havoc, etc. Nothing good to come out of it.

Now, if one so chooses to set up for hog hunting guests, those guests need to pay their way. Killing hogs is a good thing, but a secondary concern to having the place over run with "guests". Don't ya reckon that's one reason Texas is so against trespassing on private property. And, yep, they're pretty serious about it.

You gotta see it from their point of view. As a land owner, I do.

DF.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I know they can and do survive in a lot of different places, but I'm thinking there's a reason they do so much better down in Texas,Florida and places like that. Montana or Alberta aren't Texas/Florida, and while they can certainly survive here it's going to be a much tougher go. I see articles posted out here too about this wild boar "emergency" strangely enough always written by some guy or group that is "researching the problem" and probably needs a few more years of government funding to complete the study.

I've seen exactly one wild boar in the 12+ years I've lived here, and that's one more than most have seen. I think I'll hold off panicking for a little while longer.

One of my former coworkers was working as a peace officer in central Alberta. Over coffee,, she stated that her county had placed a bounty on wild hogs as they had a problem.

Because people are so tight lipped about where the hogs exist, I volunteered myself to help out. If she heard from a landowner with an actual problem, she was to contact me. I've heard nothing from her.

Hogs are here, just very localized and almost completely nocturnal.

If locals hear of hog escapes, they have free pork in the freezer. SSS is their MO. Escapees, at least in Southern Alberta do not last long.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by gkt5450
We recently left our lease in Breckinridge, Tx for another area. Ferals there will and have nearly destroyed the place. We spent the better part of the last two seasons killing pigs...deer have moved on. No more turkeys and deer on game cams are rarely seen. Ranch owner is aged and stopped raising cattle so pig population is incredible. I killed six the last weekend there and I was by myself. Worms and buzzards gotta eat too!

Yep, ours eat well

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Hey Hanco,
I have a bucket list hunt to shoot a hog.
How about letting me come down and help you thin some out ?

Rancher doesn’t allow guests

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by xxclaro

One of my former coworkers was working as a peace officer in central Alberta. Over coffee,, she stated that her county had placed a bounty on wild hogs as they had a problem.

Because people are so tight lipped about where the hogs exist, I volunteered myself to help out. If she heard from a landowner with an actual problem, she was to contact me. I've heard nothing from her.

Hogs are here, just very localized and almost completely nocturnal.

If locals hear of hog escapes, they have free pork in the freezer. SSS is their MO. Escapees, at least in Southern Alberta do not last long.

getting to be quit a number up around Meyerthorp.

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr
There was a place here that I used to coyote hunt on. Farm was sold, and new owners were city folks, who told me they didn't want anyone shooting the animals. They got them some chickens, ducks for the pond, goats for the pasture, and some little bunnies to hop around the yard. A year later, I get a call........................we'd like you to come and shoot some coyotes, as we don't have anymore rabbits, chickens or ducks...........the coyotes done ate them all.

If hogs get bad enough, and someone wants them gone, they'll get serious about doing it.

You'll never kill all the coyotes either just by hunting. So how would you suggest keeping the hog problem under control, short of poison?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by greydog
I get a kick out of the guys who said the cold winters would protect northern climes. Ever hear of Russia, bonehead? GD

I dont think mudhen said they wouldnt survive up north, bonehead.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1OntarioJim, 163bc, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 22250rem, 2500HD, 53 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,915
Posts18,518,712
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.