Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"I bet even most of those posting crap in these threads as usual have not even seen a feral hog"

Or a wet trottin’ his azz across the pasture. But hey! Still makes ‘em immigration expurts.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"I bet even most of those posting crap in these threads as usual have not even seen a feral hog"

Or a wet trottin’ his azz across the pasture. But hey! Still makes ‘em immigration expurts.

laugh

laugh

Yeah there's lots of border security experts in states that don't border Mejico....

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by mudhen
From this morning's Houston Chronicle:

Texas has long faced the destruction feral hogs can have on land and wildlife. Now feral hogs' rampant damage is stretching as far north as Canada, with particularly prominent populations in U.S. northern border states, including Montana and North Dakota, the New York Times reports.

One more thing for the NY times to get strong. Havent heard of a single instance of feral hogs in Montana, or north dakota.

Maybe somebody else has...

I've heard rumors of them (wild boars actually) escaping game farms in Canada and ending up in either the Pembina Gorge or Turtle Mountains. However, I've never seen one, known or talked with anyone who's seen one, and haven't seen any game-camera pictures of them being circulated either.

I've seen that hog map before and was surprised to see that one county in ND had a population. I wondered how they got there.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shoot quite a few pigs in my day to day travels, not in TX but close enough. I hear guys at the feed store loudly complaining all the time about them tearing up crops and pasture. Yet almost none of those guys carry a rifle in the truck, if they do they’ll probably lob a couple shots out at a sounder caught feeding out in the open occasionally but never really put any effort into actually hunting and shooting them. They all are more than happy to let me go sneak around down on the creek bottoms and shoot all I want, which I’m thankful for.

As RBB says, if you shoot them up they’ll leave for a while, maybe they come back maybe another mob moves in but you can clear them out for a little bit. I’m talking quarters now and not 20 sections mind you.

I hate that they cost folks money tearing up ag lands. I also hate when the state sends the helicopter team out and burns up lord knows how many taxpayer dollars a day to basically scatter them. Once they make it in the dark thickets and bottoms they’re safe and they know it, not much short of a fire will move them out of a big briar patch.

The one bright spot, for me at least, is that there’s no substitute for practice. And there’s no better way to practice shooting critters than shooting critters. I hunt them year around so instead of one or two deer and one elk, plus a dozen coyotes and bobcats a year I get to shoot all that plus another 50 or 75 pigs.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by JGRaider
There was a place here that I used to coyote hunt on. Farm was sold, and new owners were city folks, who told me they didn't want anyone shooting the animals. They got them some chickens, ducks for the pond, goats for the pasture, and some little bunnies to hop around the yard. A year later, I get a call........................we'd like you to come and shoot some coyotes, as we don't have anymore rabbits, chickens or ducks...........the coyotes done ate them all.

If hogs get bad enough, and someone wants them gone, they'll get serious about doing it.

You'll never kill all the coyotes either just by hunting. So how would you suggest keeping the hog problem under control, short of poison?

JG, not having hogs to worry about, I'll admit that it's comparing apples with oranges, when I'm talking about deer or coyotes here, it's different from the hogs that Texas has. But, a person has to make a choice......am I serious about controlling a pest or not. I know for a fact that I can't kill all the coyotes on a certain farm, but I can hunt them so hard that they are no longer a serious threat, and have done so. The local Mennonites have just about rid their farms of them by trapping and poison year round, illegal of course, but it's worked.

My point about hogs is that they can be controlled too, if someone is serious enough. Might take some time, and some unorthodox methods, but in the end, they'd be just like the buffalo of the late 1800's, and the passenger pigeon. They can be eliminated.

I think they're probably smarter and more adaptable than Bison or Pigeon.

Control is difficult at best, elimination in my opinion, is impossible.

DF

DF, having raised domestic hogs for a good many years, I know how prolific hogs are, and that a hog is smarter than most folks realize. Again, it's impossible to compare apples to oranges, and hogs to pigeons or buffalo...........but given the correct antidote, anything can be eliminated, and I believe that would include wild hogs. It would take some doing admittedly, but I believe the technology and means to do so is there. Whether or not it ever happens, is another matter.

You say it's impossible to compare apples to oranges but have been doing it multiple times.

I try not to talk about a subject I know nothing about or have no experience with. You obviously have no hog experience.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've never seen, nor shot a feral hog. I'm glad we don't have them, and it looks like good target practice.

The meat sounds uneatable to me.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Of course they’re edible, they’re just pigs same as farm pigs. Some are rank and nasty but most are fine if you’re so inclined. I’m tired of fooling with them so normally just leave them lay but if I decide I need some pork the loins can be removed in under 5 minutes with a pocketknife.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They are damn good practice

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by jimy
I don't believe this is the action of "most" hunters, just the actions of the "last" hunters !

All it takes is one bad hunter to leave a bad taste in a land owners mouth.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You all see what we have to put up with down here!

There were a dozen more I couldn’t get in the pic to the right.

I had messed up and had pig gate closed, might have caught all of them. Two different sounders were out there.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/02/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
It's a tough situation for sure. ..... You could hire a helicopter and hunt 3 days a week and you wouldn't control the population now. Nothing short of poison will do the trick.
That just amazes me. Back East, the early farmers/settlers would release hogs, let them reproduce and every now & then round a bunch of them up and drive them into town for slaughter. But the East doesn't have 1/2 the problem with ferals that Texas does. In most of the East, there aren't any. Apparently they were wiped out after the free range days.

Why is it so much harder to get rid of them in Texas?

Just my opinion..... Population density could be the difference. In the east, there are more people per sq mile. Also, the people are more scattered, meaning it's hard to go 2-3 miles without seeing a house. In Tx., you can go for 10-15 miles and not see a house. Lots more open country in Tx.

So what happened in the 1980’s? In the hill country, places started selling. Old established ranching folks dying. Folks movin’ in and buying all manner of ranches. From 10 to 10,000 acres . And what did everyone start doing? Putting up deer feeders!!!

Something else happened in the 80's that probably had more impact on hogs than the feeders...... Swine brucellosis was eradicated. Up until that time, the disease kept the feral hog populations in check.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
Of course they’re edible, they’re just pigs same as farm pigs. Some are rank and nasty but most are fine if you’re so inclined. I’m tired of fooling with them so normally just leave them lay but if I decide I need some pork the loins can be removed in under 5 minutes with a pocketknife.

Younger ones and sows eat good. After I saw trail cam evidence of a bunch of hogs eating hog carcasses, I decided I’ll kill all I can, but get my pork from Kroger’s. And with the warning about diseases they carry, wear gloves skinning them, another vote for store bought pork.

Just me.

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Oldman3
It's a tough situation for sure. ..... You could hire a helicopter and hunt 3 days a week and you wouldn't control the population now. Nothing short of poison will do the trick.
That just amazes me. Back East, the early farmers/settlers would release hogs, let them reproduce and every now & then round a bunch of them up and drive them into town for slaughter. But the East doesn't have 1/2 the problem with ferals that Texas does. In most of the East, there aren't any. Apparently they were wiped out after the free range days.

Just my opinion..... Population density could be the difference. In the east, there are more people per sq mile. Also, the people are more scattered, meaning it's hard to go 2-3 miles without seeing a house. In Tx., you can go for 10-15 miles and not see a house. Lots more open country in Tx.

So what happened in the 1980’s? In the hill country, places started selling. Old established ranching folks dying. Folks movin’ in and buying all manner of ranches. From 10 to 10,000 acres . And what did everyone start doing? Putting up deer feeders!!!

Something else happened in the 80's that probably had more impact on hogs than the feeders...... Swine brucellosis was eradicated. Up until that time, the disease kept the feral hog populations in check.

Thank Randy that makes a lot of sense. Like a perfect hognado scenario!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hogs in Montana. That would surprise most folks including the F&G. They are close though and expected at any time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman3

this.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alaska had a population from the '70s up to the very late '90s, probably spring of '99. Some dude thought he could get them started on Marmot Island and then get the logging contract after they girdled a bunch of trees. Hogs found life easier on the beach. A few horrible springs in a row nailed them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by TheKid

Younger ones and sows eat good. After I saw trail cam evidence of a bunch of hogs eating hog carcasses, I decided I’ll kill all I can, but get my pork from Kroger’s. And with the warning about diseases they carry, wear gloves skinning them, another vote for store bought pork.

Just me.

DF

I don’t eat them anymore, don’t touch them without gloves!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
According to a little quick searching, Brucellosis is alive and well in feral populations. It's only been largely eradicated with domestic pigs.

Brucellosis in Feral Hogs - Wildlife Damage Management

Swine Brucellosis - Texas Animal Health Commission

Swine brucellosis is caused by the bacteria Brucella suis, and is closely related to Brucella abortus, which causes brucellosis in cattle. Texas is currently considered Swine Brucellosis free for large "commercial" herds, although infection continues to be found at times in smaller backyard herds. In these instances, infection is usually the result of exposure to feral swine. Swine Brucellosis is known to be prevalent in Texas's feral swine population.

Swine Brucellosis is a reportable disease to the Texas Animal Health Commission.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We lease our ranch in Dimmit Co. out to deer hunters. We require them to shoot two hogs to each deer they kill. Helps a little. We also have traps set up and give the kill to the 'undocumented workers' from the neighboring farms.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

294 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 27 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.