Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by jimy
I don't believe this is the action of "most" hunters, just the actions of the "last" hunters !

All it takes is one bad hunter to leave a bad taste in a land owners mouth.

Money seems to wash that taste away.....

I am MAGA.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
In addition to Bangs disease (brucellosis) there is Leptospirosis among others. None of those are something to play with. Humans can get brucellosis, also referred to as “undulate fever” from the raging fever that comes and goes. It can get into bones, including vertebrae. Nasty stuff.

I don’t touch them without gloves, either.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And Tularemia, Pseudorabies to add a couple more.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
My mom’s middle sis had undulate fever. I remember them talking about it. I think she got it from unpasteurized milk during WWII. They would get the milk from a neighbor.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Dad's friend said he got it while working for the State Vet in the 70's during the last Bangs outbreak.

He was traveling all over the state bleeding cattle.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Alaska had a population from the '70s up to the very late '90s, probably spring of '99. Some dude thought he could get them started on Marmot Island and then get the logging contract after they girdled a bunch of trees. Hogs found life easier on the beach. A few horrible springs in a row nailed them.

Art,
We had a small attempt at boars here in the Ag Area back in the 70s. Deep snow, deep cold
and grizzlies may have been a problem for em.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
These SOB’s are as big a pest to me as hogs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/02/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
And Tularemia, Pseudorabies to add a couple more.

Yeah, just a couple.... whistle

Known Feral Swine Diseases and Threats:

• pseudorabies*
• swine brucellosis*
• classical swine fever*
• African swine fever
• bovine tuberculosis
• influenza
• PRRS
• anthrax
• tularemia
• West Nile virus
• E. coli
• salmonella
• trichinosis
• streptococcus
• ticks, fleas, lice
• internal parasites

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/wildlifedamage/programs/nwrc/SA_NWDP/CT_Feral_swine

Local game processor told me last year they condemn about 1/2 the wild hogs brought in as unfit for human consumption. Pisses the hunters right off... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
We Pasteurized our farm produced milk. My folks were serious about that. They knew about those stories.

I got pretty good at milking cows. My forearm muscles got strong. I could out squeeze most of my buds, even bigger ones. One childhood memory, I had picked up pecans to buy a shotgun. Dad had a friend with a store who let him get me a Win M-12 wholesale, $80 as I remember, retail was $108. I was out in the barn milking when I heard him drive up. I couldn’t get finished milking that cow quick enough to go get my new shotgun. Funny how such memories stick.

DF

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
These SOB’s are as big a pest to me as hogs.

What the hell kind of thing is that??

I am MAGA.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Ingwe: Indeed the semi-wildish feral hogs are invading Montana (at least there have been many verified sightings!) up on the "high-Line and just south of the Canadian border.
Word is they have migrated down from Canada?
I saw this on the local news station out of Butte a couple months ago - so take that for what it's worth.
I sure haven't seen one.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

What the hell kind of thing is that??

Auodad.

Or Doodad, for those that can't pronounce it... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Id call it a sumbitchin dingleberry!

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
DF,

Old son and his soon to be wife went to school at Northwestern State in Natchitoches. Duing the week they picked up pecans there on campus and brought em home on long weekends and sold em to the buyer at the feed store. Then, While they were home they trapped hogs for the wild hog buyer back when the European markets were buying em for fancy restaurants. They made some good money.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 01/02/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
How do you sleep at night......

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

I have bad dreams about being eaten by a pig

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I chuckled to myself when I saw the friendly dude named Jerry from Arkansas offer his “services” for a free hog hunt. Coupled with his “get real or shut up” comment for landowners. Since Arkansas is involved, I’ll relate a story that my FIL used to tell.

I married a ranch raised lady from a Rocky Mountain state which has a good antelope population. Before his passing quite a few years ago, my FIL used to relate a story about a group of three Arkansas hunters who met him one day on the county road near the SW corner of his property and asked for permission to hunt antelope on his property. He told them that he only allowed locals to hunt and that he’d pass. At that point in time, the driver of the pickup got cutely arrogant with him about not letting them hunt by expressing how safe they were and that they were responsible hunters who had come a long way to hunt and to spend some money while there to support the local area economy, and that they deserved the right to hunt.

MY FIL, who had a good sense of humor, then asked him if he had just bought the pickup that the three were in or had he had it for some time. Naturally the guy told him that he had owned it for some period of time. At that point my FIL asked him if he knew “Joe Schmoe” who was a rancher maybe 10 miles down the road from my FIL’s ranch. At the mention of a name, the driver got very quiet with a strange look on his face, but he said he had never heard the name before.

With that my FIL informed him that “Joe” had called him the night before to tell him about three hunters he had ran off his land that day. He also provided a license plate and a description of the truck for my FIL. At that point my FIL also told the driver that it was probably a coincidence, but the truck he was driving was very similar to the truck he was told about, and even more coincidental, the Arkansas license plate was the same that “Joe” gave him the night before as he flashed a piece of paper out his open window with the plate state and plate number written on it. At that point, they quickly thanked him (for doing nothing for them) and turned around and went back down the road.

It turned out that the day before they had gained hunting permission on “Joe’s” land. He told them to stay on any 2-tracks off the main road and to not drive on the pastureland and to look for livestock before shooting. He also reminded them about the state’s “no shooting off the main county road or from a vehicle on a county road” law. About 10 minutes later while going somewhere on the main ranch county maintained road, he saw the three hunters stop on the road ahead of him and eye a group of antelope maybe 200 yards further down the road that were slowly walking down the middle of the road. One hunter got out of the truck and walked into the bar ditch maybe 50 feet off the road and promptly shot down the road at an antelope standing in the middle of the road. When "Joe" confronted them about what he had just seen, they told him that they had complied with the law by getting off the road, even though the dead antelope was now laying where it was shot in the middle of the road. He told them to get their antelope off the road, gutted and tagged, and to get off his land before he called a game warden on them. He then followed them to the end of his property. grin

I know a guy who looks after some land for others about 130 miles from my urban home. He has a common phrase for when hunters ask to hunt for free and complain when they are turned down. If they complain he reminds them and he tells me that he tells them that “No good deed goes unpunished” and the answer is still no.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I have bad dreams about being eaten by a pig

Well played!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Granddaughter likes to wack pigs too!

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 48 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.