Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

I’m going to scope a 222 sporter rifle. Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10-50mm.
And I’d like to try vertical split rings.
Wanting to keep mounting hardware under $75.
Any recommendations?
Thanks

NRA Patron
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like Warnes

MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vortex makes vertical split rings in aluminum that are high quality and within your budget. I have heard others here opine vertical split rings are junk, but they didn't specify why.
I would like to hear what they have to say. Personally I have had no problems with them.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have multiple sets of Warne vertical rings and have zero complaints.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I've also had good luck with Warne vertical split rings. They're certainly within your price range.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There was a good study years ago on snipershide comparing rings. Vertical split rings tended to cause more scope problems than any other type of ring tested.
Interesting theory on paper that did not work well in reality.
Try an inexpensive picatinny rail like made by EGW and some SWFA picatinny rings.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by dale06

Any recommendations?
Thanks

What's your attraction for vertical? I've not had issue with the Warnes but have heard of such. I used to promote the style as they have one less piece than a horizontal set. But, Warne, Leupold and many others are making excellent Weaver or Picatinny compatible horizontal splits, and they're easier to mount properly, why bother? I could see if the rifle used ringmounts and the vertical Warnes were most readily available. Other verticals? No idea.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by dale06

Any recommendations?
Thanks

What's your attraction for vertical? I've not had issue with the Warnes but have heard of such. I used to promote the style as they have one less piece than a horizontal set. But, Warne, Leupold and many others are making excellent Weaver or Picatinny compatible horizontal splits, and they're easier to mount properly, why bother? I could see if the rifle used ringmounts and the vertical Warnes were most readily available. Other verticals? No idea.

They are inexpensive if that helps.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been primarily using Seekins rings the past several years, with an occasional Signature Zee, but have probably used more Warne Maximas than everything else combined. Partly to save money, and partly to support a local company. The Maximas are vertical split rings.

I know that Formi has written about issues with vertical split rings. I believe tracking issues. I don't doubt that it can happen, but I never had any issues.

I think my shooting, and wind reading ability limited me more than the rings. Tracking was not affected, for my medium range shooting distances.

Some old images of a Kimber that I had awhile back, below. We did some drop tests, more like rifle tosses, with that setup. Zero and tracking were not affected.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some more old images. This was a RAR .223 in the factory milk jug. Blast from the past. I remember that day, and dropping those 4 shots! I thought I was doing good. I think the shooter was at fault, not the rings.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last ones. This time with the RAR 223 in a plywood stock. In hindsight, that was a pretty sweet rifle. Never warmed up to the plastic or plywood stock, though. IIRC we shot it out to 1200+ yards with no real indications of tracking problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that I've wondered about is a rifle with slightly bent receiver, or where the rear needs a shim. If you mount a scope without correcting the receiver issue, I don't know what's better. Vertical split or horizontal? Either choice might affect the tracking of the scope. In those cases, I've used the Signature Zees.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

What's your attraction for vertical? I've not had issue with the Warnes but have heard of such. I used to promote the style as they have one less piece than a horizontal set.

IMO They look better and when carrying a rifle one handed at your side the connection doesn't stick out sideways to poke your wrist.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have the Talleys on all my bolt rifles, but they are a few bucks more.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by StrayDog

What's your attraction for vertical? I've not had issue with the Warnes but have heard of such. I used to promote the style as they have one less piece than a horizontal set.

IMO They look better and when carrying a rifle one handed at your side the connection doesn't stick out sideways to poke your wrist.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Definitely give the Warnes a shot!

As hanco says, the Talley screw mounts are quality too, albeit proprietary bases. I got a set recently, ironically for a Kimber of Oregon Mod 89, LOL, and they're perfect in manufacture.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 12/31/19. Reason: MoInfo

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve got Warnes on 4-5 of my rifles. No complaints at all. I think you’ll be happy with them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have two sets of Warne Maxima rings. One was purchased as an economical 30mm set when there weren’t many 30mm options available, and the other for a CZ 527 that I couldn’t locate factory CZ rings for. Both have served me well and I haven’t experienced any tracking or zeroing issues.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've used a bunch of Warne Maxima rings. They're pretty darn good when they're made right. Unfortunately I have run into several bad sets over the years.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am not a lover of split rings but Warne does make good split rings. for mounting a scope i like picatinny base and rings and Weaver even makes good ones too. my reason for not liking split rings is i always seat my rings in 1st and its harder to do that with split rings and more time consuming.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jeffbird
There was a good study years ago on snipershide comparing rings. Vertical split rings tended to cause more scope problems than any other type of ring tested.
Interesting theory on paper that did not work well in reality.
Try an inexpensive picatinny rail like made by EGW and some SWFA picatinny rings.

I read through that thread on SH and it was easily enough to make me send the several sets of Warne rings that I had down the road.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,342 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,144
Posts18,502,772
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.