Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hectortwsp
Begs the question, "just how bad do ranchers in general really want the hogs gone?" On one hand they complain of out of control damage but on the other are more than happy to ask scalpers price to hunters that would like to hunt them.

Still waiting on somebody to post alla these ranchers posts here at the Fire that are complainin' about hogs and charging scalper's prices...

Please.

Someone.

Anyone...?

Just ONE post would get this off the ground. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hey Barry? How many working farms and ranches you suspect are in Texas????

I dunno? This might help.

http://texaslandtrends.org/lt-2014-fact-sheet.pdf

Wonder how many of these folks post here on the fire? Again, I dunno??

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Only complain when land owners complain about the animals, but don't let people hunt. Then around here it seems they want our tax dollars to fix their problem.

Or they charge to hunt and still collect money from G&F (sportsman's dollars) for crop damage. That should end.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yet all landowners in Texas are "Ranchers".

And they ALL deny access and charge a king's ransom to hunt hogs!

And the ALL complain about hog damage while charging that high dollar for access!

Here's a tad bit of a clue for the ignorant....

1) If they are selling hog hunts, they DON'T complain about hogs. In fact, they LOVE hogs. The more the merrier. In fact I have known some outfitters to go to the sale barn and buy hogs for the hunters to shoot.... whistle

2) If they are selling hog hunts, they probably aren't charging enough to make it worth their while to deal with drunks, idiots, and people that want to shoot everything with hair on it, on every square inch of land they own.

3) Most "ranchers" I know lease their ranch for hunting. Those that pay for an annual deer lease would probably be pissed if 30-40 other hunters a weekend were driving around shooting everything they see. So ranchers kill hogs where they can, and let the hunters kill what hogs they can. I don't really ever hear either complaining.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I couldn’t deal with people that day lease.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wonder if the idiots who pose their kill with a rifle resting on the filthy carcass have ever seen what blood does to bluing? More money for the gunsmith's pocket, I guess!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A friend has 6,000 acres of wood and crop land, 5 miles on the Red River, surrounded by thousands of acres of National Refuge woodland. He leases his land for hunting. He thought if he was gonna have hogs, may as well have good ones. So, he takes a truck and trailer to TN, brings back a load of Russians, turns them out.

BIG mistake. His hog problem is now much worse, was NOT a good idea. The offspring hybrids have that typical ridge of hair down their backs, are colored a bit different than domestic feral hogs. I think he probably regrets that move, although he would never admit it.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Good thing the Tennessee wildlife people didn't catch him with a truckload of feral hogs- - - -he would have seen what the inside of a county jail looks like! Transporting live "wild" hogs is strictly forbidden! The wild pig population on the Cumberland Plateau is the leftover offspring of Russian boars imported by wealthy damyankee "sportsmen" in the early 1900's to stock private hunting clubs. They adapted to the terrain perfectly, and began cross-breeding with free-range domestic hogs. The result was a big population of wild pigs with Russian features and the weight of domestic pigs. A hundred years later, they're still there.
Jerry

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This guy is known for taking short cuts. He killed an elephant in Africa with a special built, curare tipped spear. He had a professional video made which turned into evidence in a Federal Lacy Act trial. It cost him a pile of money, no hunting locally or internationally for 5 years. His defense in court was the PH actually killed (finished) the elephant with his .470 double gun. The judge wasn't impressed. The PH got in trouble in his country, had to pay a big fine.

So, a Gooseneck trailer load of Russian hogs from TN was no big hill for a climber, if you get my drift.

DF

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Ridgerunner justice also has a tendency to take a few shortcuts at times. The big reason the TWRA doesn't want live ferals getting trucked around is the huge risk of spreading the diseases they can carry to domestic hogs being farmed legitimately. Not all Tennessee "justice" happens in a courtroom, especially over in the eastern part of the state!
Jerry

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Ridgerunner justice also has a tendency to take a few shortcuts at times. The big reason the TWRA doesn't want live ferals getting trucked around is the huge risk of spreading the diseases they can carry to domestic hogs being farmed legitimately. Not all Tennessee "justice" happens in a courtroom, especially over in the eastern part of the state!
Jerry

I hear ya. Been there a few times. Don’t doubt that one bit.

DF

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't think I'd want to pizz off a sheriff or a possum cop in Cajun territory- - - - -same difference!
Jerry

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I don't think I'd want to pizz off a sheriff or a possum cop in Cajun territory- - - - -same difference!
Jerry

You got that right.

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yet all landowners in Texas are "Ranchers".

And they ALL deny access and charge a king's ransom to hunt hogs!

And the ALL complain about hog damage while charging that high dollar for access!

Here's a tad bit of a clue for the ignorant....

1) If they are selling hog hunts, they DON'T complain about hogs. In fact, they LOVE hogs. The more the merrier. In fact I have known some outfitters to go to the sale barn and buy hogs for the hunters to shoot.... whistle

2) If they are selling hog hunts, they probably aren't charging enough to make it worth their while to deal with drunks, idiots, and people that want to shoot everything with hair on it, on every square inch of land they own.

3) Most "ranchers" I know lease their ranch for hunting. Those that pay for an annual deer lease would probably be pissed if 30-40 other hunters a weekend were driving around shooting everything they see. So ranchers kill hogs where they can, and let the hunters kill what hogs they can. I don't really ever hear either complaining.

PREZACTLY !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I'll call the FDA on Monday and see how many more tax dollars I have coming due to the hog problem. Sure is nice being able to make a living from collecting Gov't money off hogs and the high dollar hunting charges. I might be able to come off welfare in a year or two if this keeps up. smile

Jim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by texasbatman
I think I'll call the FDA on Monday and see how many more tax dollars I have coming due to the hog problem. Sure is nice being able to make a living from collecting Gov't money off hogs and the high dollar hunting charges. I might be able to come off welfare in a year or two if this keeps up. smile

Jim

Yep. Me too. Them sob’s owe me lots of money with all the hogs I’ve got.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We have a pack of 6 timber wolves just north of here.
I am sure they could kill a lot of feral hogs. Our moose population is way down. Maybe the DNR would put them in a truck and haul them to Texas?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Maybe they're confusing feral hogs with Democrats?? They both breed like crazy and cause tons of damage!!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I gotta a big pig in the trap, will have to check him out better when it gets daylight. We have a little boy in camp. Maybe his dad will bring him up where I’m at. It be cool if the little one can kill that pig.

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,216
Posts18,524,477
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.