Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It would reduce the 'ball dip surprise' in the summer, though.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The hot water system has a surge tank in the line. Need to add a reverse flow check valve.

Last edited by MM879; 01/03/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try a little less hot sauce in your chili?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
You try to fix the problem yourself or do you call the plumber?

Plumber can't fix that!
Call an exorcism!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by cra1948
I’ve seen people set up a system that bleeds a small amount of hot water into the line that fills the toilet tank to keep it up to room temperature or thereabouts. The idea is to prevent condensation on the outside of the tank.

All mine are. Buy the mixers at any hardware or plumbing store. Water here comes out of the ground at 35 to 40 degrees. Not good in a 70 degree house.

Additionally, all cold and hot water pipes are wrapped in insulating tubes, one for condensation, one for heat loss. Ditto the pressure tank.

Really need to blanket the home hot water heater sometime - the rental is on-demand...but those major lines are also tube-insulated. In the rental, the pressure tank and Renai on-demand heater are in a very small, confined area and tried to develop moldfrom condensation before I insulated tank and lines.. I also added a $12 soundless fan for air circulation. Problem solved.

Last edited by las; 01/03/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I don't know about the rest of you. I prefer to let it soak in warmer water while I'm standing there taking a leak.

Last edited by Mad_Max; 01/03/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
So you are the one leaving that drag mark and yellow stains in the snow up here?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by cra1948
I’ve seen people set up a system that bleeds a small amount of hot water into the line that fills the toilet tank to keep it up to room temperature or thereabouts. The idea is to prevent condensation on the outside of the tank.

Interesting.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Got a whole ‘nuther scenario for you. We live in a slab house built in the late 50’s. After living here nearly 10 years, a couple of years ago we started noticing an area in the middle of the kitchen floor was getting and staying awfully warm- hot actually. Then we noticed when we would first turn on the cold water in the kitchen sink, it would come out pretty darn hot at first, then become cool like it normally was. Hot water worked same as ever.

My wife, who has a lot of sinus problems, started complaining of getting unusually stuffed up. Around that time we got a notification from the water company that they suspected we had a leak.

Putting two or three together and dividing by five, I deduced that the hot water line, buried under the slab, had at least partially ruptured under the kitchen floor between the water heater and the kitchen sink. This hot water pooled around the cold water line, heating it up, thus it would come out hot at first, then the fresh cold water coming thru that hadn’t had time to get hot yet, would flow thru and come out cool.

We rerouted the lines from the heater to the sink. No leaks, normal temperature floor, normal temperature water out of the spigots, and after a few months of the ground drying, my wife’s allergies were back to normal levels.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Perhaps a copper cold water line is being warmed by heat in the surrounding airspace, such as could occur in an attic. Attic heats up from the sun, cold water copper line in the attic absorbs the heat, passes it on to the first place it empties into.

Edit to add: In your locale, this might not be as likely as it could be in a warmer climate.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 01/03/20.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Get rid of the sink..................wash yer face in the terlit.

Excecise will do you good.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Have you recently installed a hose on a 2- handled/valved faucet and left the valves on the faucet open/on and only using the valve on your hose for control? That is the number one condition we use to see when I was involved with commercial plumbing company. All faucets on modern fixtures have check valves internal to the valve to prevent this but some of the older faucets you may find on a service sink that may be in a garage or basement may have an older faucet that does not have this protection. When you put a hose on it and leave the valves open, only using the spray valve for control you have basically connected you hot and cold water lines together.

We have this all the time at work. Both valves on a service sink are left open to a sprayer. Sometimes the kitchen sink. Do you have a sprayer on your kitchen sink. How long has it been doing this?

jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was working on a new construction house in kansas city and a plumber had a toilet that kept leaking. he was pulling his hair out trying to figure out why . then he started cussing the rough in plumber. funny as hell . the rough in plumber ran a Hot water line to the toilet and after enough use it was melting the wax ring enough to cause it to leak.

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Could be crossing in the shower valve if it’s left on and they are turning water off with the shower head.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought maybe that hot water in the toilet helped the turds melt quicker.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I thought maybe that hot water in the toilet helped the turds melt quicker.

I’m sure it does

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you have hot water in the toilet you prolly have a problem at the manifold. Hot and cold lines are separate.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Did I miss where someone suggested the toilet mixing valve?
Many homes have these in order to prevent condensation on the toilet tank and the rot it causes.
If there’s one in this house, it may be bad or need adjusting

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Bad toilet flapper. Replaced works fine now. Thanks.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
My Son in Law owns a well drilling business. And they have a small pond on the property, 1/4 acre maybe.

For S & G he decided to punch an 8 inch well near the pond. They went to 900 feet, hoping to get artesian flow. The static level came out at minus 18 feet. But it will pump at least forty gallon/minute with zero draw down for days on end.

A year later he and our daughter decided Mom and Dad needed a retirement home where we did not have to care for 20 acres with a dozen cows and horses. So they put in a new 2000 sq foot home beside the pond, and hooked it to that existing well.

Heck we could have run copper lines through the floor or ceiling and heated the whole house. The water came out of the tap at 85 degrees.

A week later I came past the new house, and there was a new well ten feet from the first one, Forty feet deep, and 40-50 degree water.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 66 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.