Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ive been shot at while hunting. Something ill never forget and a sound ill never forget. Then they guy walks up lookin for blood.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wonder if they were mistaken for a deer or a deer was shot at.

Amount of orange i question.

Position also.

See folks here wear brown carharts and a half orange cap and call it good

Last edited by hookeye; 01/06/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would bet it was a sound shot or shooting at movement.

Some bubba's aint too bright.

You pull the trigger, you own it and you cant call it back. I learned that at age 7 on my first duck hunting trip.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC the largest size buckshot is nine .32 lead balls in a 12ga.

Almost like nine rounds out of a .32 cal muzzleloader. How far away could a .32 muzzleloading rifle kill a man with a torso hit?

How far could a load of buckshot open up at that distance?

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 01/06/20.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
Probably shooting at sound and/or motion.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Almost like nine rounds out of a .32 cal muzzleloader. How far away could a .32 muzzleloading rifle kill a man with a torso hit?

How far could a load of buckshot open up at that distance?

15 in a 3", IIRC.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by killerv
Ive been shot at while hunting. Something ill never forget and a sound ill never forget. Then they guy walks up lookin for blood.

I would have made sure he found some.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Twice that many (18) in a 3 1/2'' 12 ga

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have killed a lot of deer from 10 to 50 yards with 3" magnum 00 and 000 buck before slugs were allowed where I hunted.. It folds deer instantly, I can only imagine what it would do to a human.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
When I was a kid we hunted with hounds in E Texas. I had an uncle who was death on deer with his single shot break over Win 12 Ga Mod 37 Full Choke. That's all anyone used in those days of paper hulls with no shot cups.

90% of woodsman used No 1 buck because it was a given it patterned better with a full choke 12. His kid had got into some open paint on the porch when backs were turned while painting the wood joints after squirrel hunting one morning and it was set on the porch after the squirrels were skinned. Michael had managed to smear some blue on the buttstock.

Legend had it that Uncle Party (Eugene) had later killed an 8 point buck with Ole Blue at a measured off 110 steps as it ran across the open pipeline in the heavily timbered Neches River Pasture bottom one fine frosty morning. He was the youngest of six boys and nick-named Party because he like to go to birthday parties as a kid.

He killed that buck a few years after he had returned home from playing "monster man" on the US Army football team and survived a tour in the Korean War and had received an eye injury causing him to have to learn to shoot left handed.

I was a youngster and was never appraised the number or location of hits on that deer but years later I realized I wish I had found out.

Cousin Michael froze to death years later while in the Coast Guard when he and a bud capsized their boat on a duck hunt while he was stationed in Va. I was in college when I lost my hunting bud.

His sister now takes a few squirrels every year with Ole Blue and I expect the saying that it's taken a truck load of ducks and squirrel and several of deer is pretty much true.

About 10 years old I snuck up on and killed my first squirrel with it when we were camping and hunting on Sulphur Creek. Man, with high base No6 Red Winchester shells I hated to pull the trigger on it. Ole Blue could sure blue your shoulder too.

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/06/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Really sad. I wonder if the shooter shot at noise or movement in the brush. Can't imagine he saw them and thought they were deer.

When I was a kid, we were part of a huge Weyerhauser lease club and we ran dogs, like everyone else on it. My dad, who was a deputy sheriff at the time, and 2 of his hunting buddies were walking down the middle of a logging road when someone shot at them with 12 gauge buckshot. One of the pellets went through the shoulder of my dad's blaze orange vest. Another went into one of the buddies arm but didn't hit bone. They were very very fortunate to not have been killed. The guy that shot them admitted to shooting at through bushes at noises coming down the road. My dad arrested him on the spot but I don't recall the punishment being all that harsh.

Now that I'm older, wiser, and no longer bulletproof, I get as far away from everyone else as I can when hunting. I'm fortunate enough to have a couple parcels of private land to hunt though, one of which I'm the only hunter that should be there.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Have the shooter or shooters ever been identified in this shooting, was it an accident or a murder ?

https://www.wect.com/2020/01/02/father-daughter-killed-hunting-accident-colleton-county/

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why has this been so quiet, unless the shooter was also a child ?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why has this been so quiet, unless the shooter was also a child ?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just looked this up a half hour ago, nothing new.
It is about time for an indictment for manslaughter, or else, second degree murder.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There is something ugly about all of this, not a word from the mother or the police, I hope to God it was not a sibling that killed the two of them ! Murder suicide? this is taking way to long.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No ones heard a thing about how this happened ?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.