Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am looking to invest in a reflex sight for use on my sons Mossberg 500 20 ga turkey shotgun. I am open to suggestions, but would prefer to keep cost in the $250 range. I am mainly interested in the Holosun or the FastFire series
I know Optics Planet has a great price on the Holosun HE-507 (green & red ) as well as the Burris FastFire 2 & 3. I have read most of the reviews, but they seem to be geared more toward use on an pistol.

Does anyone with experience with any of these options care to chime in?

Would you get the red reticle or the green?
I like the option of different reticle choices especially in the Holosun with the circle & dot together....I would hope that either would be rugged enough for use in the turkey woods.
I figure if I start now, buy April we will be ready to roll.

Thanks much.
burt2506

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Fastfire III can usually be had on a deal. I have two I paid less than a hundred for. The dot starbursts for a lot of people. You'll want to look at it before buying. They're popular and effective for hard kicking turkey guns. I would mount it on the barrel where you can manipulate the controls without moving from firing position. A protector for it isn't a bad idea. I had one fall over from being leaned against a tree. The edge of the sight crunched in and slightly crunched the lens. Still works fine. If it didn't cost me $8 a shot to sight in, I'd send it back for replacement.

That's a good point about the Fastfire. You can buy used and just send it back to Burris. They will just ship you a new one.

Pretty much any dot that isn't projected through a filter will starburst for most eyes. Holosun has a shaped reticle available that probably takes care of that, but I haven't used it. If I were paying full price, I would look at Holosun with the circle and Leupold Delta with the triangle dot.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 01/03/20.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Fastfire III can usually be had on a deal. I have two I paid less than a hundred for. The dot starbursts for a lot of people. You'll want to look at it before buying. They're popular and effective for hard kicking turkey guns. I would mount it on the barrel where you can manipulate the controls without moving from firing position. A protector for it isn't a bad idea. I had one fall over from being leaned against a tree. The edge of the sight crunched in and slightly crunched the lens. Still works fine. If it didn't cost me $8 a shot to sight in, I'd send it back for replacement.

That's a good point about the Fastfire. You can buy used and just send it back to Burris. They will just ship you a new one.

Pretty much any dot that isn't projected through a filter will starburst for most eyes. Holosun has a shaped reticle available that probably takes care of that, but I haven't used it. If I were paying full price, I would look at Holosun with the circle and Leupold Delta with the triangle dot.

What kind of turkey load are you shooting that costs $8 per shot?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
What kind of turkey load are you shooting that costs $8 per shot?
not speaking for anyone else, but it is probably TSS = Tungsten Super Shot

Thanks to all... I might look for a used FastFire… off to check fleabay

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
See several with a color reticle choice ::

Red or green?

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
1 5/8oz TSS in a solid brass shell.

Supposedly people see green better, but there's a lot of green in the Spring turkey woods. Mine are red. I would not do amber.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
can't add much but agree with everything that has been said about the fastfire by Burris...great customer service as well

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Supposedly people see green better, but there's a lot of green in the Spring turkey woods. Mine are red. I would not do amber.

Wow!

I've only shot them with lead at about $1 per round. Fed, Rem, Win, whatever brand is on sale that has at least 1.25 ounces of either #4 or #5 shot.

I'm a very casual turkey hunter.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]host image
Shooting tss 1 5/8 # 9 and getting 350 average in 10” circle at 40 yards with 555 Indian creek choke! Fast fire has been perfect with336 base that was drilled and tapped

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Wow!

I've only shot them with lead at about $1 per round. Fed, Rem, Win, whatever brand is on sale that has at least 1.25 ounces of either #4 or #5 shot.

I'm a very casual turkey hunter.

There aren't enough pellets in the #4 shell to make a satisfactory 40-yard pattern. #5s maybe, if you could get it choked right, which you probably can't. I understand people hunt casually, as in flushing and shooting them like pheasants, etc., and making one flop with a lucky pellet is just fine. A dedicated hunter of the wilier subspecies is generally not satisfied with leaving a hard-won shot to chance. Think in terms of taking an iron-sighted 30/30 on a Bighorn sheep hunt versus what people usually take.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know about Holosun at all. I've had a FF 1 for a long time, and it's been mounted on a bunch of stuff, including a couple of .357 revolvers without issues. New ones are better, with manual brightness control and easy access to the battery. Only sight with multiple reticles I've had was a Bushnell Trophy. That one went back twice before I gave up and accepted a scope in trade. There's something to be said for simplicity with regard to reliability. A range buddy recently told me about a multi-reticle tube-type sight he bought that "featured" an aiming point that moved around when switched.

I also have a See All Open Sight, a totally different animal. I like it well enough that I just ordered another for my birthday present, this one with tritium illumination. They require a short rail mount, except for the handgun models, but no batteries, and are very small, light, and rugged. A big bonus for me is that for some reason I can see the reticle perfectly clearly without glasses. I put my first one on my crossbow a couple of days ago to replace a 20oz scope. I'm pretty sure at least a couple more are headed this way for other guns currently wearing irons. If you buy direct, there's a 30-day return policy in addition to the lifetime warranty. Worth a look.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Pappy,
Thank you... I will certainly look into the See All.
Sounds interesting

Fuzzytail....that looks like a killing rig! That's what I am looking for in a lightweight rig.
I figure the IC choke is a must have item with the TSS??? Who did the camo on that beast?

Once again, thanks to those that took time to reply.

Did look through a buddy's 2-7 Leupold in a saddle mount on a SP10 that he traded into. He killed a coyote at 63 yards with it...that things a stupid tank. I wouldn't want to carry it.

Thanks again

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I did the paint job with krylon and sponge. Was a youth model that's short and sweet. 555 Indian Creek has surpassed anything I have tried with TSS. She is a BAD LITTLE GIRL....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had 5 of the Burris FFs from the I to the III and only had issues with two. The Burris is GTG and their CS is good if you need it.

The only other reflexes I've had experience with on turkey guns is the Nikon Spur and Vortex. The Nikon is a great reflex, but not sure I'd buy one with them getting out of the scope market. The Vortex was on a friends gun we set up with 1-5/8oz handloads and it failed in short order.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Fuzzytail: that just sounds like bad business for the 3toe....lol

I just 'lucked' into some of the 20 ga 7&9 TSS at a shop I frequent.... talking with the owner, and he said he found those shells behind some 12 ga TSS... know they are all pricey, but for 25 bucks a box, I bought all 4 boxes of them. Yes, that's pricey but when I see the smile on my boys faces when a gobbler sounds off at daybreak or when he blows our hat off at 50 yards, the price of the shell is of no concern....

I just might have to inquire with the fine folks at Indian Creek as to what they suggest... probably a .555....lol

Reloader7RM: thank you.... probably gonna roll like fuzzytail and do the Burris. That seems to be the better choice all the way around.

Thanks again....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.