Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I have never served in the armed services, but I think the day of the soldier is essentially gone. With technology we can see when any army masses, or gets ready with men and tanks. When we see a threat anywhere in the world we can send drones, they will get cheaper and cheaper. I can almost bet that if any large group masses around the US embassy in Iraq more drones will be waiting. However, technology has also made us vulnerable. The enemy can bring the war here. I am surprised no country has placed a bomb in a shipping container yet, we have thousands coming in the us every day. I'm sure whats stopped them is that they know once we traced it back to a country, that country would no longer exist. Anyway back to the point, we will be knee deep in future wars before the first soldier gets deployed. What are your thoughts?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Asymmetrical warfare is the future

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drones and AI will get so expensive that no reasonable commander would risk them in combat when cheap troops are available. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The enemy will target the power source first and foremost.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The field of robotics is even toying with the idea of unmanned robotic battle equipment. Where a soldier would become like a drone operator and be out of harms way.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Lmfao!!!
Boots on the ground will never change
If you aint their your dont own schitt.
Technology is an asset to be used as situations dictate......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I believe quite the contrary.

Modern wars are fought in urban areas, house to house. The bad guys hide amongst everyday folks.

It takes foot soldiers to root the bad guys out.

They just don't stand on opposite ends of a cleared field and shoot each other anymore.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I believe quite the contrary.

Modern wars are fought in urban areas, house to house. The bad guys hide amongst everyday folks.

It takes foot soldiers to root the bad guys out.

They just don't stand on opposite ends of a cleared field and shoot each other anymore.

This, its not Gettsburg. Highly trained elite forces in small teams will be used more to supplement the technology like drones.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by 22250rem
The field of robotics is even toying with the idea of unmanned robotic battle equipment. Where a soldier would become like a drone operator and be out of harms way.

I am sure we are only a few short years away from drone tanks and drone artillery. Soon thereafter the tanks and artillery, as well as aircraft and warship, will become autonomous, with onboard artificial intelligence.

I sure hope the machines do not turn on us humans at that point.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The technology exists to take out the satellites, and computers that controls it all. At some point in the future, someone will do it. Then you had better have a plan B.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our air assets have and continue to evolve into high tech surgical killing machines however they will always come up short as the end all solution..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can bomb the bejeezis out of a territory , but you will still always need infantry to take it, clean it out and hold it. Sure, infantry weapons and technology are vastly improved since WWII, but soldiers are still soldiers and there is no way you are going to win for keeps without them.

Last edited by jnyork; 01/04/20.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can't hold ground with a drone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rumsfeld made the mistake of thinking that we could take control of Iraq with a massive air show and limited troops, they abandoned that strategy pretty damn quick.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
You don't have to hold the ground. You just have to cause chaos on the ground. We don't have to worry about invasion because we have the Atlantic, Pacific to protect us. Sheridan knew this. He knew he would never have enough soldiers to conquer and occupy the great plains, so his idea was to kill all the buffalo. The native Americans came to the reservations because they were starving, no need to occupy the great plains.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tracks
Drones and AI will get so expensive that no reasonable commander would risk them in combat when cheap troops are available. grin

I read that in a comic book 50 years ago!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
There will always be boots on the ground when the SHTF.

" America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you think that's true, wait until the chinese or the koreans make a move. The man on the ground with a bayonet at his enemy's throat is what still wins in the end,..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There will always be a need for soldiers.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The technology helps the soldier, but will never replace the soldier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,435 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,513
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.