Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
LNF150 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Leave it to the higher up muckety mucks of our state wildlife agency to screw something else up.

Like the state even had the authority to try to sell those antlers exclusively to Bass Pro in the first place. Yet, the landowner has to bid against a major corporation in a closed auction just to get the mount of a deer that had been poached off his family's property?!?!

https://www.cjonline.com/news/20200...ophy-antlers-for-16001-at-closed-auction

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wasn't it the state's deer when the poacher shot it?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No shooting the kings deer w/o permission.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Cabinet secretary said proceeds from the sale would be deposited in the Operation Game Thief account, which provides rewards to people providing information to authorities leading to conviction of poachers. The secretary said consideration was given to burning the antlers, but the decision was made to generate needed funding for the anti-poaching program.

Nedeau, who previously won an $8,000 court judgment from the poacher, said he didn’t want to discuss the transaction until he was in possession of the antlers.

“No comment,” he said.

Nedeau is the landowner.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The state owns the wildlife, not the landowner. If it's illegally taken, it's still property of the people of the state.
What's his phuqq is schit out of luck.

Last edited by WTF; 01/04/20.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Kent told state wildlife officials he was driving to get firewood on Nov. 11, 2011, when he saw the buck near the intersection of 133rd Street and Wanamaker Road, a rural area south of Topeka. He fired two shots from a 9mm Glock. The animal went down 50 yards from his vehicle. Kent ran to the buck, decapitated it with a knife, wrapped the head in a blanket and drove off.

Why would any true hunter abandon all that venison and just take the head unless the kill was hinkey?

This story stinks to high heaven, and from what I read the landowner doesn't have any consideration in a court of law. He didn't own that big buck.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Morewood
Kent told state wildlife officials he was driving to get firewood on Nov. 11, 2011, when he saw the buck near the intersection of 133rd Street and Wanamaker Road, a rural area south of Topeka. He fired two shots from a 9mm Glock. The animal went down 50 yards from his vehicle. Kent ran to the buck, decapitated it with a knife, wrapped the head in a blanket and drove off.

Why would any true hunter do that unless the kill was hinkey? This story stinks, and from what I read the landowner doesn't have any recourse. He didn't own that big buck.

Your question answers itself.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, it does, ducksanddogs.

Poachers pizz me off.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
The Cabinet secretary said proceeds from the sale would be deposited in the Operation Game Thief account, which provides rewards to people providing information to authorities leading to conviction of poachers. The secretary said consideration was given to burning the antlers, but the decision was made to generate needed funding for the anti-poaching program.

Nedeau, who previously won an $8,000 court judgment from the poacher, said he didn’t want to discuss the transaction until he was in possession of the antlers.

“No comment,” he said.

Nedeau is the landowner.

Noper. His mom was the landowner.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

Not quite. It was the publics. The state is entrusted with the management.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The State owns the deer unless you hit it with your truck and ask them to pay for the damages from “their” deer.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunter4623
The State owns the deer unless you hit it with your truck and ask them to pay for the damages from “their” deer.

☺😊😀😁😂

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Pardon me I was under the impression that the state was the people and the government was entrusted by the people to run it.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Pardon me I was under the impression that the state was the people and the government was entrusted by the people to run it.

I thought the same too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds fair. Just wanted to make clear the wildlife belongs to you and I, the people, and not some state agency.

Some folks seem to have a notion that the State owns wildlife like they own vehicles.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you live in Kansas you owned part of the 16,000 they got for it. call and ask for your cut.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never completely understood why the animals belong to the state, yet as a landowner, I have to put up with any damage that they do........destruction of crops, property, and domestic animals. I am expected to let them live on my land, and pretty much do as they please, being able to take action only in cases of extreme circumstances.

That has always been a pet peeve of mine.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I thought US law was based on Old English Common Law?
Since the time of William and Mary—under English Law—wildlife occupies a unique position—it is wild and free and as such owes allegiance to no King, Crown nor Country.
A Dead animal is different creature—by law it belongs to the land owner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So it sounds as though Bass Pro has some pull in the Kansas State Gubment.

And probably not just Kansas?

On a different flavor:

It really doesn't matter to me, it's his money, but I can't figure why this Nedeau fellow would be willing to drop 16k on a set of horns he didn't kill?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muleshoe
It really doesn't matter to me, it's his money, but I can't figure why this Nedeau fellow would be willing to drop 16k on a set of horns he didn't kill?

I'll agree. My guess is that he may have the idea that he can sell them later for more money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1234, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,370
Posts18,469,135
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.