Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you age it in salt water for 3 days, the outside of the ham will be white and not to appetizing to look at.
However, that is just the exterior, the steaks you cut will look just fine, believe me.

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
I do.

This is interesting. Americas best butcher aging steaks to 120 days.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First big buck I shot I did not age. He was tough. Second really big one I shot I lucked out with the weather and hung him for about 10 days, skin off. Turned out tender & delicious. Does and young bucks I don't age - they don't need it. Just getting them gutted, skinned & cooled quickly is enough for them.

Politics is War by Other Means
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I was a kid, my dad killed a spike bull elk on Halloween. We hung that elk up in our meat cutting room in the barn. It wasn’t cooled. But that time of year kept a temperature of between zero and forty degrees. That elk never froze solid. We cut and ate pieces off that elk till about the first week of January, until it was all gone. Tasted great.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had that one time. A deer rump roast made slow in the oven. It was so tender and had a sweet slightly nutty flavor.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's an old rule of thumb for how long you can hang them. For each 10 degree increase in temp, you cut the time in half

35F 2 weeks
45 1 week
55 3-4 days
65 1-2 days
75 eat it now

For what I do that is a pretty good guideline.
I aim to keep it in the top two.
Skin and cool ASAP, cover with a game bag, and hang. No water.
Elk are usually quartered then treated the same.
I have been known to hang the meat in my 4-horse trailer and park it (locked up) at the proper elevation on the mountain above the house to keep the temperature favorable during warm spells.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
venison is not beef. aging does not make it taste any better or tenderize. aging helps beef because it has fat in the meat. deer fat fat should never be eaten.

skin and quarter as soon as possible
place in a meat tube on a rack to drain
goes in the frig until I get around to processing,usually 4-6 days
this firms the meat for easier cutting
and drains it well

soaking in water only opens it up to growing bacteria.plus water in the meet will make it freezer burn faster.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
My fresh deer meat has acidic enzymes in it that break down the connective tissue in it.

The bull we couldnt chew killed in the big blizzard years ago in Colorado, where Leo was going into the mountain near Groundhog reservoir in helicopters and snowmobiles rescuing hunters was great after ten days. Aging worked pure magic on it.

In warm temps, fat turns rancid quickly.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Great article. Thanks.

When I take the muscle groups off a deer or elk ham, after aging, I cut the separated muscles into meal sized pieces and then seal and freeze them.

To cook, I start slicing the pieces for cooking when they are still partly frozen, and across the grain.

Typically I will cut an aged back strap in half to freeze it in two packages. Then to cook it I slice across it while still a bit frozen..

Last edited by jaguartx; 01/06/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jaguartx
So, you cooled it down and aged it a day and the packer aged it another week. Sounds good.

No, I shot it at about 6:15 PM, dressed and skinned then packed to keep it cold overnight. Went to the processor first thing next morning.It was actually a little over a week before he got to it. Not classically aged but it pretty good. Based on past experience, we grilled some chicken when we first cooked it in case it tasted gamy. Our nights were in the 40's and days in the 60's. My in-laws were too damn cheap to pay so they ruined their meat to save money.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Ok, so hou dont think it started aging the day you cooled it down. Then, the packer had it aging a week.

So, instead of it being aged 8 days you prefer 7 days. Sounds good.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed a 8yr old red stag a week ago.A couple of days after I killed it,I went ahead and ground up the neck and front shoulders and put that in the freezer.Today I broke down the hindquarters leaving the whole muscles intact.I can tell that week on ice has really helped.Muscles are relaxing and the meat cuts really easy.I may keep it a few more days yet.I used to be skeptical about ageing the meat,but not anymore.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
For sure, BH. I've done it with and without aging.

It's not done for the fun of it. I can taste the whang and a bit of toughness in a does fresh backstrap killed that day and I dont care for it.

After a week quartered and on ice the meat loses the whang and tastes sweet.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 1eyedmule, 160user, 3333vl, 2UP, 308ld, 14 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.